Canales To Tampa: Leverage For Geno?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
QB coach Dave Canales is going to be the new OC for Tampa. It's a fair question the article raises. Will this impact whether Geno stays or goes?

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Others are predicting that Drew Lock should sign with the Buccaneers. This could be his big opportunity!

I am assuming that the team will re-sign Geno, and hope that Lock will re-sign with the 'Hawks... But if he does go to Tampa Bay, then the Seahawks would need a quarterback in this draft.

I am hoping that the Seahawks will be able to take this opportunity to draft "defense heavy", with a Tackle, Edge and Safety... But also, adding Center John Michael Schmitz should be an important choice in this draft.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Others are predicting that Drew Lock should sign with the Buccaneers. This could be his big opportunity!

I am assuming that the team will re-sign Geno, and hope that Lock will re-sign with the 'Hawks... But if he does go to Tampa Bay, then the Seahawks would need a quarterback in this draft.

I am hoping that the Seahawks will be able to take this opportunity to draft "defense heavy", with a Tackle, Edge and Safety... But also, adding Center John Michael Schmitz should be an important choice in this draft.
I see this as a bigger issue for Lock as well. Reporting suggests he worked a lot with Canales. I think the Hawks were already considering a QB in the later rounds at least, but this might increase the urgency on that front.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's most definitely leverage for Geno. First thing Canales is going to do is convince TB that Geno's worth a 3-4 year deal.

But I don't think it matters all that much with Pete and John, they have their number and they'll stick to it.

Yes though, Canales leaving is a new wrinkle in the Geno talks for sure.

toffee

Reaction score
Or, Canales may convince Buc to sign Geno with big bucks, Hawks will draft a QB but go with Lock for '23.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think that it was Canales that Geno had worked out with to hone his skills last off season, so I don't think that he's particularly tied to the guy, though I do agree that if Canales sells the Bucs on the idea of signing him to a 3-or 4-year deal, that it could sway him to go to his home State to finish his career.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Wow. Yeah plus I’m hearing in close circles that Pete really likes Bryce Young. We’ll have more clarity in about a month but Geno to the Bucs seems likely

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't think that it was Canales that Geno had worked out with to hone his skills last off season, so I don't think that he's particularly tied to the guy, though I do agree that if Canales sells the Bucs on the idea of signing him to a 3-or 4-year deal, that it could sway him to go to his home State to finish his career.

Canales has been Geno's QB coach for what, three years? So not sure how you can think he hasn't had a major impact in Geno's development.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Canales has been Geno's QB coach for what, three years? So not sure how you can think he hasn't had a major impact in Geno's development.
I have little to no doubts that Canales had a hell of a lot influence on how Geno has progressed since coming to Seattle, BUT when I said that I don't think it was Canales that he worked out with last off-season, as I'd read where he'd worked out with a personal Quarterbacks Coach, & at that time, Canales' name was not mentioned, That was no intended slight on anyone, just a curious observation on my part, as if it were indeed Canales who he'd trained with, why would they have not just said so?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Tampa has some cap issues I think? But it’s a really good fit for Geno. They probably feel they can compete in that division because of the QB situations there and they have a good cast around Geno. Wouldn’t be shocked at all if they pay him.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Going into 2023 Tampa Bay has the worst cap situation of any team in the NFL @ $55 million over. i wouldn’t expect Geno going there Lock is probably out of their budget also 😝

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Going into 2023 Tampa Bay has the worst cap situation of any team in the NFL @ $55 million over. i wouldn’t expect Geno going there Lock is probably out of their budget also 😝
True, but if they go with no QB (unless Trask is a hidden gem) they may as well go full rebuild and dump vets and salary.

IF they believe in their roster and Geno…put it on the future cap credit card via extensions, roster bonus conversations, backloading, etc.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As Hawkinaz points out, the Bucs tried to maximize their window over the last three years with Brady and now the bill is way past due. Even trying to kick the can down the road for just one more year would be enormously expensive, which is why Brady is actually retired this time and will come back with another team if he does change his mind. The Bucs are in for a massive rebuild and the only question with most of their veteran contracts is whether they will be cut pre June 1st or post June 1st. They also don't pick until #19 so the rookie QBs will be long gone by the time it gets to their pick.

However... this could be a really promising "huge" trade down opportunity for the Seahawks if one of the top QBs is at #5 and we do not love them. If Tampa Bay really liked Bryce Young and we didn't then a fair trade for them to move up to our pick might involve them giving us #19, #50, and their 1st round pick in 2024. #19 could still land us a prospect in the same tier as guys like Murphy, Bresee or Wilson. #50 could be a great interior OL or slot receiver. Most importantly, with Tampa's cap issues this season, new coaches, and dependence on rookies that 2024 1st round pick has top 5 potential again including perhaps #1 overall.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
This seems like a more probable option than Geno leaving.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1676843580067.jpg
    FB_IMG_1676843580067.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 3