Geno Smith’s friend Thad Lewis gets Bucs QB Coach Job

Mizak

Reaction score

Smith’s breaking of Tampa Bay news is also notable because he’s been linked to the franchise as a potential free agent. Smith’s former QB coach in Seattle, Dave Canales, is now the offensive coordinator with the Bucs. Given his familiarity with the OC and the QB coach, it certainly sounds like Smith might want to entertain the possibility of leaving Seattle for TB.

toffee

Reaction score

Smith’s breaking of Tampa Bay news is also notable because he’s been linked to the franchise as a potential free agent. Smith’s former QB coach in Seattle, Dave Canales, is now the offensive coordinator with the Bucs. Given his familiarity with the OC and the QB coach, it certainly sounds like Smith might want to entertain the possibility of leaving Seattle for TB.
Geno might entertain? Geno will go where he can get the long term guaranteed contract that gives him the most money, if he faces same offers from multiple teams, he might choose to stay in Seattle. Why? the supporting case, we have two great WRs, at least one great RB, three very serviceable TEs and a young but improving OL. If other teams offer more than Seahawks, Geno leaves.

seabowl

Reaction score
Very good season for him last year but I’d rather move into a younger qb that can be here for a long time.

massari

Reaction score
His home state where he was born and raised and currently lives/trains in the offseason, top 5 OL, Evans/Godwin, top 10 defense, Canales/Lewis.......

If TB can afford Geno, it's likely his #1 preferable destination.

Last edited:

SNDavidson

Reaction score
It's definitely between Seattle and Tampa Bay, feels 50/50 really.. something to be said for the relationships he has on our team.

bileever

Reaction score
It's definitely between Seattle and Tampa Bay, feels 50/50 really.. something to be said for the relationships he has on our team.
Geno may want to go to Tampa Bay, but they are in a rebuild and have salary cap issues. It doesn't make sense for them to overpay for what would be a stop gap QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Frankly, I would rather watch a rookie develop, but whatever happens happens.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It's almost always about the loot, but in Geno's case, I'm betting that he's hoping for some linear in a contract, as he's already shown that he CAN make all the throws, & has built a good rapport with his teammates, and now needs to continue with the Meshing/growing with them.
Just like our two Tackles that we Drafted last April, they're only going to get better with continuity.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Geno may want to go to Tampa Bay, but they are in a rebuild and have salary cap issues. It doesn't make sense for them to overpay for what would be a stop gap QB.
I don't think Geno is a stop gap, but, I don't think he'd be as effective elsewhere. Waldron is one of the best in the NFL at designing an offense for a guy. Geno IS talented though, and has all the benefit of a decade of NFL knowledge and practice and insider information with maybe 30% body wear n tear. He can play effectively in the right offense for 5 years, I think.

Jville

Reaction score
His home state where he was born and raised and currently lives/trains in the offseason, top 5 OL, Evans/Godwin, top 10 defense, Canales/Lewis.......

Affordability is the big if.

Tampa Bay is currently $56,531,921 over the 2023 cap. Tom Brady's voided contract years will add $35,104,000 in dead cap charges. Their top receivers and left tackle and center already have voided future years as well. They more or less have mortgaged their contract flexibility. Their 2023 cap situation is not a pretty site. They are going to have to take some roster risks and have a great draft.

It's a good year for our sister franchise to go young.

GemCity

Reaction score

I’d say TB has a great chance of signing him because of what you posted here.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm glad for Geno that there is at least one other team that could be interested in his services. There really don't seem to be teams lining up for him. I see all sorts of speculation for some other free agents, but not Geno.

Tampa Bay is going to have to cut several dudes and rework another half-dozen contracts, but they could make it work.

Jville

Reaction score
That March 15th Rule 51 deadline is only 2 weeks and 4 days away. Clock's ticking.

Drew Lock, who Dave Canales has worked with, seems more affordable and a more likely acquisition to me.

Scout

Reaction score

I don't see how they can afford Geno.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm glad for Geno that there is at least one other team that could be interested in his services. There really don't seem to be teams lining up for him. I see all sorts of speculation for some other free agents, but not Geno.

Telling isnt it?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
It does? Where are you reading that he’s been linked to tanka in anyway? Coaches that he knows being hired there and the media basing anything on that doesn’t count

SNDavidson

Reaction score
The move of his qb coach to his home state and the subsequent hiring of another friend? Florida kid? I think it jumped from 80/20 to 50/50 when all factors are compounded.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Telling isnt it?
Not really. It's too early for the flood of stories, linking teams and free agents, to really start coming out. Even Carr was really only linked to NO and NYJ before this week, and he has been available to be signed for a while.

Legal tampering period starts in two weeks, and I would expect the rumors linking the various free agents to various teams to start hitting two or three days before that.