Can someone tell me why we decided to ignore a bad oline

Snake Plisskin

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":paj6pjd9 said:
Unger was snapping low every other play. Sup with that? Have too much KFC before the game?

This bothered me a lot because Wilson's thoughts should be on Carolina's defense and not "Where is the snap going this time?" I understand Unger's thinking about his blocking assignment, but he just HAS to make a good snap.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
If comparing the 2002-2005 Seahawks to the 2006-2010 Seahawks can teach you anything, it's the value of continuity on the O-line. It's just as important as talent, imo. An O-line needs to have 5 guys who can work together seamlessly, guys who know each others' strengths and weaknesses as well as they know their own, guys who know how the man on each side of them will react in any given situation. That kind of cohesiveness allows them to work as a unified force, rather than 5 guys attempting to complete 5 individual assignments.

Acting as if just throwing a early-round pick into the scrum is going to have an immediate payoff is stupid.

justafan

Reaction score
One of the bad things about the NFL these days is teams dont have the luxury of keeping Olines together as long as you would like.You might have 2 or 3 core lineman but the whole roster is constantly in a revolving door.
Personally I think you should target Oline every year.Im not saying high picks but bring in fresh blood grooming the next in line.

mikeak

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1s4un5s1 said:
Acting as if just throwing a early-round pick into the scrum is going to have an immediate payoff is stupid.

At least if there was an early round pick to work into the rotation for the future then I would get your point. Now the point I am getting is IF (yes still an if) the O-line isn't very good then next year we draft for it and 2015 it starts working like a unit? Is that what I am reading. Not trying to put words in your mouth as what you are saying is conventional wisdom which makes it an even bigger problem.

Look at Chicago Bears. Haven't been able to fix the O-line for the past what 4-5 years?

Guardian

Reaction score
We got an ugly win over across the country, in crazy bad heat, in the morning, and against a good defense, for our first game of the season. ...

... And our OL had a bad game?!?

GRAB YOUR TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS!!!

But seriously, you'd prefer to draft a random average OL talent than get Michael? Who would you have gotten, Mr. Hindsight? (obvious sarcasm)

I was upset with our line, too, but only because I know they can do a lot better. We have a pretty decent line, we don't need to start the annual post-first-game-frustration-explosion-thingy over it. Next week they'll probably play fine, but maybe Wilson might struggle. Let's draft a QB! Or maybe Ryan messes up a punt. Or Marshawn fumbles. Or Tate gets the dropsies. Or Big Red eats somebody. Every player has bad games from time to time. Except Adrian Peterson.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
mikeak":21msijk0 said:
volsunghawk":21msijk0 said:

At least if there was an early round pick to work into the rotation for the future then I would get your point. Now the point I am getting is IF (yes still an if) the O-line isn't very good then next year we draft for it and 2015 it starts working like a unit? Is that what I am reading. Not trying to put words in your mouth as what you are saying is conventional wisdom which makes it an even bigger problem.

Look at Chicago Bears. Haven't been able to fix the O-line for the past what 4-5 years?

And the Bears have spent 8 draft picks on the O-line in the last 6 years, including 3 1st rounders. So, clearly, just drafting O-linemen early isn't the solution.

Again, why does it need to be an early-round pick? With this team's draft record, what makes anyone think that Bowie or Bailey won't be able to contribute later this season or maybe next year? And what makes anyone think that spending early-round picks on the O-line solves the issue? Didn't we JUST do that in 2011?

seahawks08

Reaction score
O-Line personnel is not the problem, it is the scheming in my mind. I think Pete also talked about it this morning. Pete took it on himself to say he was too indecisive on the schemes. He said everything will be cleaned up by next game, so we will just have to wait and see.