Can someone tell me why we decided to ignore a bad oline

hawk45

Reaction score
Compared to what we did at WR and at DL, grabbing a couple of bargain bin guys is tantamount to ignoring it.

The bargain bin thing has worked out well on the defense but they didn't go that route this offseason when they were really serious about addressing the pass rush.

If pass protection doesn't get better I think it'd be reasonable to spend some currency on the position at some point. In truth it was a position of greater need than WR going into the offseason, I felt at any rate.

sutz

Reaction score
TJH":1hos63bu said:
I don't care how bad they were, it was painfully obvious we won.

Thought a little editing was in order.

No need to thank me.

:)

rideaducati

Reaction score
Russell was holding the ball longer than Tarvaris used to. It's becoming a concern to me.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Russell was holding the ball longer than Tarvaris used to. It's becoming a concern to me.

kearly

Reaction score
TJH":2abura0n said:
Happypuppy":2abura0n said:
PC said all the OL picks they were high on were taken much earlier than they thought they would.

I have a hard time believing we couldn't find a solid starter with the 2nd.

First, you look at a sample size that's greater than one and our O-line is pretty good and still getting better.

Second, don't just grasp at air and say some nebulous late 2nd round pick would be better. WHO did you have in mind? Just grabbing an OL with a late 2nd type pick gets you the next John Moffitt more often than not. I actually follow the draft, and the answer is nobody. In fact, the team actually commented on how they were looking at some OL options early this year but there was a huge rush on the position so they went a different direction. And BTW, OL are notorious for taking years to become decent. Even Okung and Unger took some pretty big lumps in the early years.

Third, you know that Carolina has one of the very best front sevens in football, right?

I can't wait for RW to have a bad game so somebody can talk about why we didn't draft a QB.

OP
OP
T

TJH

Reaction score
sutz":3555xh7x said:
TJH":3555xh7x said:

No need to thank me.

That has nothing to do with anything that I am saying.

OP
OP
T

TJH

Reaction score
kearly":hchkehtl said:
TJH":hchkehtl said:
Happypuppy":hchkehtl said:
PC said all the OL picks they were high on were taken much earlier than they thought they would.

I have a hard time believing we couldn't find a solid starter with the 2nd.

Third, you know that Carolina has one of the very best front sevens in football, right?

As do the 9ers, Rams, and Cards. That's the problem.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
TJH":1o27oe24 said:
sutz":1o27oe24 said:
TJH":1o27oe24 said:

No need to thank me.

Then your initial premise was incorrect.

OP
OP
T

TJH

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":tl844rbk said:

That has nothing to do with anything that I am saying.[/quote]
Then your initial premise was incorrect.[/quote]
That our line didn't massively struggle today? No, I am not.

OP
OP
T

TJH

Reaction score
C-Dub":1dotz5kq said:
TJH":1dotz5kq said:
All offseason. Draft? nope. FA? Nope. I don't get it. They were awful today.
1-0 going into Sunday night. You mad?

Why is this site so terrible at accepting any type of criticism?

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Please look at the OL available in the 20s in the James Carpenter draft...please list the world beaters. High OL draft picks flop a lot too and like Kearly said, it takes time to develop as an individual and a unit.

chris98251

Reaction score
TJH":2cjbc22e said:
C-Dub":2cjbc22e said:
TJH":2cjbc22e said:
All offseason. Draft? nope. FA? Nope. I don't get it. They were awful today.
1-0 going into Sunday night. You mad?

Why is this site so terrible at accepting any type of criticism?

We had Person picked up, Bailey, Bowie, it was not ignored, we also brought in some UDFA that didn't make the cut. Maybe it's the open ended question without acknowledgement of what they have done and tried to do. Bowie looks to be the real deal and Bailey looked better this pre season. There was a reason they moved Moffit.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
TJH":1hf47wvg said:
Jazzhawk":1hf47wvg said:

Then your initial premise was incorrect.[/quote]
That our line didn't massively struggle today? No, I am not.[/quote]
That was NOT your initial premise. Your initial premise was that the Front Office failed to work on making the o-line better.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Our O-line didn't have the best game. O-line take a long time to develop, so only real offseason option for immediate dependable impact would have been FA high dollar lineman, weren't really any. It is the first game of the season, and the front 7 of the defense is very good, but its not like we are going to be playing buffalo every week either. Not immediately concerned because Cable can fix them up with the best of them, but don't harp on people for pointing out they sucked, cuz they did.

justafan

Reaction score
Carolina does have a good Dline but we are supposed to be pretty good also.Personally I think Lynch and Wilson made them look a lot better than they were last year.I would love to see what they could do behind an Oline like the Niners.
God forbid anyone criticizing Breno Carp or Sweezy.Just rant about the playcalling or how they run run pass EVERY time, its easier.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Unger was snapping low every other play. Sup with that? Have too much KFC before the game?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1ke8zfaw said:
Unger was snapping low every other play. Sup with that? Have too much KFC before the game?

Noticed that too. Probably a inside joke with Wilson regarding his height.

mikeak

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":druo7vra said:
Actually I am not. You are blinded by perpetual pessimism.

I was thinking about the wrong play. The one I thought about that proved the point was end if half. 4th and 1 was still a failure but this article puts it elsewhere

"Wilson set his feet, but left guard J.R. Sweezy was overpowered by the most underrated Atlanta defensive player, tackle Jonathan Babineaux, who bulled up through the middle. Wilson tried to step up, but Babineaux's long reach grabbed Wilson for the sack. The Seattle quarterback scrambled to his feet to try to get the clock stopped with a spike, but time expired."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/1832449/

I still think we have a good shot at the Super Bowl. But I am concerned about that line and give it one key injury and what we have left will be a joke. The problem here is that anything negative / questioning things is ridiculed like one is an idiot. There is no middle ground such as the o-line is a weak point and a shame it wasn't improved.