Can someone explain how we're making our run defense better??

Fox0r

Reaction score
I'm not a football expert, but the two DTs we've signed seem to excel in pass-rushing and not the opposite. Am I missing something here? How are we fixing our biggest problem on defense right now? Are they planning on doing it through the draft?

We also seem to be short on ILBs.

Scout

Reaction score
The process of overhauling the entire front seven is going to take time.

But I too am curious as to which remaining players will be brought in to shore up the run defense. One thing is clear though and that the Hawks are targeting disruptors that can win 1v1 matchups. Reed and Jones in the fold tells me that they are moving towards that direction.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Free Agency hasn't even officially begun yet and we've already improved our defense. We have a LOT of off season to continue the overhaul.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I mean, Jarran Reed was always profiled as a stalwart in the run game. In fact pass rush skill, and finishing were far and away his biggest knocks coming into the league. If you'll remember, he was coming off of a 1 sack season at Alabama when we drafted him in 2016. His game is more similar to Shelby Harris than I think we all remember. I was personally disappointed that it appears we wouldn't be able to rework a deal for Harris. This move makes me less so.

I think Reed's skillset is an incredible bookend to Jones, who is the lengthy and twitchy penetrator.

These two moves allow the Hawks to be so much more flexible and unencumbered position-wise come draft day.

Edit: changed Georgia to Alabama. Long day at work and watching too much film thinking about the draft has my SEC school's running together...

Last edited:

bileever

Reaction score
We still have Al Woods, but at age 35, how much does he have left in the tank? Presumably, we're going to get reinforcements for the interior line in the draft, but we definitely need a few more pieces, including a run defender for the line and a linebacker or two.

Does signing Reed and Jones mean that we won't be targeting Calijah Kancey in the draft? He isn't your prototypical run stopper at 6 feet and 280 lbs.

ivotuk

Reaction score
2 days in to "legal tampering" and "Why haven't we done more?!" I understand your angst, but it's early days.

John and Pete are masters at getting great players for reasonable rates by not rushing in to FA and the Draft like most teams do that have Coaches and GMs that will be gone next year.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have typically had a mix of guys, these two signings are guys that can play every down if asked and multiple places.

Now we need some Big Butts to be the wall between the lineman and LBs speaking of LB's we need like 3 now, that can play the run and pass cover.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Am I the only one that’s of the belief that our run defence couldn’t have been worse last year. We were 30th out of 32 teams. Poona Ford, Shelby Harris and Jefferson didn’t get the job done and I’m honestly not sad to see any of them go. Linebacker situation definitely made the D line look even worse. Maybe I’m a homer but I remember Reeds 10 sack year and thinking we can’t afford to keep this guy. Dremont Jones was an absolute stud on an unreal broncos defense this year too. I don’t know nearly as much as some guys about analytics but Poona ford to me has always seemed overmatched. He makes the odd great play then looks gassed by the end of the game and like hes wearing concrete shoes. Considering what Pete and John have done I think we should trust them. They’ve had reed here before so they know exactly what he brings

Scout

Reaction score
Yes, LB play did make the DL look worse than they really were. That is why I am not sad to see Barton go as Barton was a nickel LB at best.

Keep in mind that adding Jones, Reed and then with Adams return that improves run defense right there. Replacing Barton with a competent LB makes that four players to improve run defense.

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
2 days in to "legal tampering" and "Why haven't we done more?!" I understand your angst, but it's early days.

John and Pete are masters at getting great players for reasonable rates by not rushing in to FA and the Draft like most teams do that have Coaches and GMs that will be gone next year.
I'm not having a "why haven't we done more" attitude here. It was a question. I see how it's easy to insinuate emotion from text, though.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
It was a stupid post. We added 2 studs and dumped 2 duds.
This place is full of far stupider posts, if we're being honest. Just mostly made by people who think themselves experts.

See my signature for a good example.

(Note: I'm talking about the picture in my signature, not the WilliamCooper post that ended up being right... in the end)

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score
Yep, it's stupid to post a question about how adding two DTs who I read both excel in pass rushing improves our run defense. Clearly. You're so correct. My bad.

You're a cool dude. I like you. Nice touch.

Sorry, my man. We didn't all run for five touchdowns at Polk High. Maybe I'll get on the JV squad someday with my low-level football IQ.

OP
OP
Fox0r

Fox0r

Reaction score

FrodosFinger Logic per above (hypothetical situation): We added Patrick Mahomes and Christian McCaffery and released Quinton Jefferson and Poona Ford, therefore our pass defense is better.