Cam Newton?

CPHawk

Reaction score
We need someone who can signal the first down.

Somos doces

Reaction score
Hawks’ backup QBs don’t see the field very often. So if the chosen guy is OK with that role, what does it matter who it is? If Newton signs with Seattle, that’s a pretty good indication he’s alright playing second/third/fourth fiddle to Wilson.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Oh great so they can use him for one year and then find another one next year? PASS. Why can't they use Wilson's iron man gift and groom up Anthony Gordon? The season will be pretty much over regardless if Wilson gets injured, why not develop a younger QB instead of these stupid 1 year rentals on backup QB's that are pretty much useless longer-term?

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Unless Cam has the ability of Wilson, it doesn't matter who the backup is.. we're doomed and the season is lost. Better to use that CAP money that would afford Cam on some one that can provide an immediate return than one that sits on the bench.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No thanks!

I agree with Bobblehead, his take is right on.

The team needs to expend more resources on the DLine.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if he has the character, grit, and drive that has characterized the players this team has typically sought. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen of Cam, he's more interested in Cam than being "all in" for a team of brothers.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":2tkdrilt said:
I'd be surprised if he has the character, grit, and drive that has characterized the players this team has typically sought. I could be wrong, but from what I've seen of Cam, he's more interested in Cam than being "all in" for a team of brothers.
Not having character, grit or drive does not preclude the Seahawks from bringing in players that lack these attributes. In fact we have looked at players that have lacked these attributes quite often.

Percy Harvin was a known quitter and lacked character. We spent two first rounders on Percy despite his problems being well documented all the way back to his college days in Florida.

Jimmy Graham was another player we spent a lot on that didn't have these characteristics. We even traded away a guy that embodied all of these attributes. In return we got a soft tight end that didn't have grit, and didn't necessarily have the most outstanding character. He was a me first kind of guy.

Christine Michael. He had neither of these attributes and had issues dating back to college. He was talented but didn't take things seriously. When he did he still couldn't get the playbook down because he had a learning disability.

Malik McDowell. Some scouts characterized him as having the worst interviews that they had ever seen in combine history. He had a habit in college of taking plays off, quitting and making stupid on field decisions on and off the field. A known headcase.

I could go on but I'll leave off there.

One of the core features of Pete Carroll is that he believes he can get the most out of players -- despite having a troubled, checkered past. In some cases it has worked well -- a good example of this is Frank Clark. He became a leader, and example. One could say that Carroll is drawn to these types to these types of players. Cam Newton fits that type of profile. A player with all of the talent in the world, and the exact skillset Pete looks for in a QB. In fact you could say that he is very similar to Jimmy Graham in most of these respects.

I personally do not want Newton... I think he's just going to serve as a distraction going forward. I could understand the thinking though. If Russell Wilson goes down, Cam Newton would quite possibly be the best back up in the NFL. If he plays well if Russ goes down then you could get a kings ransom for him on the trade market.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I’ll be the only one but I’d be good with it. I’ve been super critical of Newton and he seems like the polar opposite of Wilson. But maybe we’ve dodged a ton of bullets with Wilson being so healthy and Cam would be far and away the best backup in the league with something to prove. That’s a good person to bet on plus I like giving guys another chance to learn and grow and reinvent themselves. I’ll see my way out lol

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3q5rmckm said:
Unless Cam has the ability of Wilson, it doesn't matter who the backup is.. we're doomed and the season is lost. Better to use that CAP money that would afford Cam on some one that can provide an immediate return than one that sits on the bench.

While I agree, it is obvious nobody is going to give him big money at this point. He will be cheap.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps he’d be cheap, but experienced former starters who have been the MVP would command a salary sufficient to remove the acquisition of quality DLine help.

It could be a way of purchasing a comp pick though.

Latest posts