Cam Newton?

ballard1951

Reaction score
I live in Norway, if Cam Newton becomes a Seahawk I will do my best to forget I ever heard about American football.

Rat

Reaction score
Some of you have a very ignorant view on Cam’s character. He has been extremely generous in his local community, and few professional athletes have shown more appreciation for their fans. Seriously, look up recent articles on him and then try to call him “selfish”. He’s passionate, and has been sometimes guilty of having his heart too much on his sleeves, but he’s hardly a diva.

I think it’d be a great signing if we can get him at a salary that wouldn’t preclude chasing more DL help. He’s an experienced player, a proven winner (like Russ), and if he can show that he’s healthy, we potentially have a tremendous trade chip if another team loses their starter.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I think it would be fun as long as it wasn't big dollars. Better than Austin Davis or Geno Smith or any of the other dudes we've kept around.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Cam Newton is the greatest short yardage QB of all time. Just to have him come in for first and goal packages would be an improvement. Russ is great at a lot of things but QB sneaks ain't one of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well it would give us two top two QB's.

Both get hit more without a flag then any other.

Rat

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1jdoljuq said:
Cam Newton is the greatest short yardage QB of all time. Just to have him come in for first and goal packages would be an improvement. Russ is great at a lot of things but QB sneaks ain't one of them.
Russ has a compact build and a powerful lower body; I think he’d be fine at QB sneaks if we actually cared to call them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is a strange conversation.

Why on earth would Cam come to Seattle with 0% chance of competing for a starting job?

Everyone's debating on why we should sign him, but ignoring the fact that there's no reason he'd choose Seattle if he's taking a vet minimum deal.

Cam Newton was an MVP, and still playing at a high level before he got hurt. IF he signs, it's going to be somewhere he can compete for a starting job. Not in Seattle behind a top 5 QB that's never missed a start in his entire career.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2g6l36cf said:

Why on earth would Cam come to Seattle with 0% chance of competing for a starting job?

Everyone's debating on why we should sign him, but ignoring the fact that there's no reason he'd choose Seattle if he's taking a vet minimum deal.

Cam Newton was an MVP, and still playing at a high level before he got hurt. IF he signs, it's going to be somewhere he can compete for a starting job. Not in Seattle behind a top 5 QB that's never missed a start in his entire career.

That would be somewhat ironic, a former MVP backing up someone that can't get a MVP vote.

How's that work out.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
If Cam is coming in for the minimum or near it, jump on it. It doesn't hurt to have the best backup in the league. He could save our season should the worst happen.

He, also, could net us a comp pick next year.

No rational reason to NOT sign him for a low deal if that's what the reality of the situation is.

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2o5rpkvz said:

He might not have a choice. Teams with money to spend are going to be extra hesitant given that they can’t check him out medically.

I just don’t see where he can compete for a starting job. Jacksonville and Denver appear committed to letting Minshew and Lock, respectively, take their lumps. Miami and the Chargers already have their bridge QBs, and Cincy is almost definitely starting Burrow from week 1. The Raiders have Mariota to push Carr. The Bears have two expensive QBs already. Wentz has been injury-prone, but Philly just used a second round pick on a QB. Etc etc.

At this point, he’ll probably have to do what Winston and Dalton did and sign as a committed backup on a short deal. Hopefully, he can at least show he’s healthy and parlay it into a better deal next year. At least here, he’d be in a system that fits him well if he is forced into action.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Bring him on with more than a one year deal, very incentive laden. Hope that he can be show to be healthy and humbled, then trade him. Buy low, sell high. If it doesn't work out, cut him like the dead meat he is. Some major QB is going to go down with injury. Cam Newton to ________ for a 2nd rounder in 2021? After he boosts his value a bit???

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":2dgi1alf said:
Mad Dog":2dgi1alf said:
Russ has a compact build and a powerful lower body; I think he’d be fine at QB sneaks if we actually cared to call them.

You'd think so and yet we never call them and I'm pretty sure the reason is he's not good at them. I mean can you think of another good reason other than lack of confidence from the coaching staff?

jeremiah

Reaction score
Rat":12b5llv5 said:
Sgt. Largent":12b5llv5 said:

He might not have a choice. Teams with money to spend are going to be extra hesitant given that they can’t check him out medically.

I just don’t see where he can compete for a starting job. Jacksonville and Denver appear committed to letting Minshew and Lock, respectively, take their lumps. Miami and the Chargers already have their bridge QBs, and Cincy is almost definitely starting Burrow from week 1. The Raiders have Mariota to push Carr. The Bears have two expensive QBs already. Wentz has been injury-prone, but Philly just used a second round pick on a QB. Etc etc.

At this point, he’ll probably have to do what Winston and Dalton did and sign as a committed backup on a short deal. Hopefully, he can at least show he’s healthy and parlay it into a better deal next year. At least here, he’d be in a system that fits him well if he is forced into action.

If the 9ers lose their QB, they are toast...Sham Newton for a 1st rounder to keep SuperBowl hopes in sight??

jeremiah

Reaction score
Rat":32t5vpet said:
Some of you have a very ignorant view on Cam’s character. He has been extremely generous in his local community, and few professional athletes have shown more appreciation for their fans. Seriously, look up recent articles on him and then try to call him “selfish”. He’s passionate, and has been sometimes guilty of having his heart too much on his sleeves, but he’s hardly a diva.

I think it’d be a great signing if we can get him at a salary that wouldn’t preclude chasing more DL help. He’s an experienced player, a proven winner (like Russ), and if he can show that he’s healthy, we potentially have a tremendous trade chip if another team loses their starter.

I never really liked him, but you are correct.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":wbnsza9j said:
Sgt. Largent":wbnsza9j said:

That's why he hasn't signed anywhere, because there's no reason for him to now with not being able to get medically cleared and looked at by teams interested.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt if he waited until the season started to see if any team's lost their starter in camp, or what the best situation is before signing.

Bottom line is there's literally no reason for him to sign here, especially for the vet minimum. Why? He can make more money and sign somewhere he can compete or take over for an injured starter if he just waits.

Dude's made 123M in his career, he's not chomping at the bit to go anywhere to sit behind Russell Wilson and only make 1.3M, at the age of 31 and just be resigned to be a backup.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":23iwbuxy said:
If Cam is coming in for the minimum or near it, jump on it. It doesn't hurt to have the best backup in the league. He could save our season should the worst happen.

He, also, could net us a comp pick next year.

No rational reason to NOT sign him for a low deal if that's what the reality of the situation is.

Yep, unless there is some other great option it's a no-brainer at a low price. I'm not going to let his over the top personality impact my ability to see that.

toffee

Reaction score
jeremiah":evmydizt said:
Bring him on with more than a one year deal, very incentive laden. Hope that he can be show to be healthy and humbled, then trade him. Buy low, sell high. If it doesn't work out, cut him like the dead meat he is. Some major QB is going to go down with injury. Cam Newton to ________ for a 2nd rounder in 2021? After he boosts his value a bit???

This!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1l5nuflr said:
Rat":1l5nuflr said:
Sgt. Largent":1l5nuflr said:

That's why he hasn't signed anywhere, because there's no reason for him to now with not being able to get medically cleared and looked at by teams interested.

In fact, I wouldn't doubt if he waited until the season started to see if any team's lost their starter in camp, or what the best situation is before signing.

Bottom line is there's literally no reason for him to sign here, especially for the vet minimum. Why? He can make more money and sign somewhere he can compete or take over for an injured starter if he just waits.

Dude's made 123M in his career, he's not chomping at the bit to go anywhere to sit behind Russell Wilson and only make 1.3M, at the age of 31 and just be resigned to be a backup.

You're pretty much spot on. Somewhere a vested starting QB is going to get hurt, camp or midseason.

It's in Cam's best interest to wait.