Byron Maxwell

HawkGA

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":965twnpw said:
Drakarin":965twnpw said:
DavidSeven":965twnpw said:
You need swag to play corner in this league, and once that's gone, it's over.

please don't use the word swag
Swag is perfectly acceptable, thanks.

Swag is either Silly Wild Ass Guess or "money or goods taken by a thief". DavidSeven appears to be using it as a shortened version of swagger, but near as I can tell this is not common usage so perhaps DavidSeven is attempting to start a new trend.

Another take on Swag:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SWAG

(trigger warning: the site contains content [about a sentence worth] that would not be permissible to post on this board).

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Mistashoesta":11otf636 said:
A lot of bitter sounding exes in this thread.

Serious. I don't understand it....well I do most likely the same people who thought we'd lose to the niners.....

He got PAAAIIIIDDD!! We were never gonna pay him that.

Maxwell has a special place in my heart. He was on the team that brought us our first championship. He'll always be appreciated.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkGA":jafzazrs said:
Trenchbroom":jafzazrs said:
Drakarin":jafzazrs said:
DavidSeven":jafzazrs said:

Swag is either Silly Wild Ass Guess or "money or goods taken by a thief". DavidSeven appears to be using it as a shortened version of swagger, but near as I can tell this is not common usage so perhaps DavidSeven is attempting to start a new trend.

Another take on Swag:

(trigger warning: the site contains content [about a sentence worth] that would not be permissible to post on this board).

My gosh, guys.

"I got that swag" is what the Seahawks secondary chants pre-game.

It is shorthand for "confidence." Hopefully you don't see our guys as "douchey" or "tools" as well, not to say I have their street cred (SHORT FOR CREDIBILITY BTW).

But yeah, Maxwell has struggled mightily since leaving Seattle. That is not sour grapes.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
My takeaway here is more renown and appreciation for Pete's system.

To all the haters saying our defensive success derived from continually "lucking into" great individual players, this is more evidence to the contrary. Good players who buy in to this scheme do great things.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Success is part ability and part fit.

Maxwell not being good somewhere else has no bearing on the fact he was good here. Now, the question is whether that is the system or him, but we do know that OUR secondary was less without him.

Could he still flourish here? I see no reason to believe it is not possible, and if you think it is mental as some are alluding then all the better - being back in an environment where he was tremendous might create that play again.

Is he worth $8M?? Clearly no. But if he was released and could be signed on the cheap I would bet our secondary would suddenly become that much better.

xgeoff

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3unqxygs said:
Success is part ability and part fit.

Maxwell not being good somewhere else has no bearing on the fact he was good here. Now, the question is whether that is the system or him, but we do know that OUR secondary was less without him.

Could he still flourish here? I see no reason to believe it is not possible, and if you think it is mental as some are alluding then all the better - being back in an environment where he was tremendous might create that play again.

Is he worth $8M?? Clearly no. But if he was released and could be signed on the cheap I would bet our secondary would suddenly become that much better.

Completely agree. You see guys like Browner and Maxwell who did well in our scheme, but were exploited elsewhere. I am just amazed at some Defensive Coordinators and/or GM's in this league that they wouldn't recognize that. I thought it was pretty obvious that Maxwell and Browner were 'scheme' players. And give them credit, it does take skill to fit into the Seahawks' scheme, not everyone can do it.

But it seems obvious that DB's come in certain 'types' and that they often succeed or fail based on what they are asked to do in defensive schemes.

Once might also apply that to players in general. That Saints defense I watched the other night against Atlanta was so atrocious. I almost couldn't believe my eyes. But if you break down the players they have, they have some good players.

Something about that scheme, though, just doesn't put guys in position to make plays.

Bottom line, I'd be willing to take Maxwell back and give him a chance in Training Camp next year just like we gave Browner a chance. If he can hang, I wouldn't care that he left for a big contract.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think Maxwell was that good here and Browner was significantly worse after the 2012 season. Even in our "system," Browner was straight up bad in 2013. Maxwell did have a knack for turnovers, but he was also pretty exploitable in short and intermediate areas. On the deep stuff, they compensated to their side with the deep safety. Left Sherman on an island a lot. And now, even with Earl having his worst years as a pro, I don't think the coverage has been worse with Lane and Shead.

raisethe3

Reaction score
If Maxwell does come back, how much are you guys willing to pay him?

Remember, during his free agency, Seattle offered as high as $8 million per year for him to stay. But of course, he decided to take the Eagles' $10 million annually. If he does come back, no way the Hawks are offering that same contract again. It will likely be A LOT lower.

kf3339

Reaction score
Not one of our secondary players has been successful since leaving this team. To me that speaks of them being more system players than top end talent. There is nothing wrong with that, but no one we really miss.

kobebryant

Reaction score
kf3339":29a6c782 said:
Not one of our secondary players has been successful since leaving this team.

Ron Parker has. Thurmond had a nice season at safety. Browner started and won a Super Bowl.

byau

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2h4xm4lj said:
My gosh, guys.

"I got that swag" is what the Seahawks secondary chants pre-game.

It is shorthand for "confidence." Hopefully you don't see our guys as "douchey" or "tools" as well, not to say I have their street cred (SHORT FOR CREDIBILITY BTW).

But yeah, Maxwell has struggled mightily since leaving Seattle. That is not sour grapes.

Totally there with you DavidSeven

Reading through the comments I was thinking "My gosh, these guys are serious?".

Don't need no slang dictionary, it's the LOB pre-game ritual. Figured anyone who's on this board (me included) is an obsessed Hawks fan thirsty for all footage and stats outside the normal game which would include many viewings of the well known LOB pre-game ritual.

"Who got that Swag" "I GOT THAT SWAG" "SWAG! SWAG! SWAG! SWAG!!!"

[youtube]5sslmvF3O_Y[/youtube]

Regarding the earlier post saying that Byron's lost that swag since leaving the LOB, I agree. And don't think it's a money thing necessarily. Money or not, something to be said about the people you surround yourself with.

p.s. everytime I watch it, I GET PUMPED!! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NINEster

Reaction score
Maulbert":wdn2feyp said:
West TX Hawk":wdn2feyp said:
Coug_Hawk08":wdn2feyp said:
One of the worst FA busts in recent memory. Terrible.

And yet he was very effective in our system, albeit the LOB certainly helped everyone around them succeed.

That's what playing in front of Earl Thomas and next to Kam Chancellor will do.

Fixed that for you.

If anything, Sherman was funneling more passes his way.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":psnqwtq3 said:
I would take him tomorrow.

He was good here and he had a great knack for forcing turnovers without screwing up the tackle when he missed on the force.

Exactly. I like Shead a lot, and I don't think he has reached his ceiling, but Maxwell was close to as good in coverage in our system and created a ton more turnovers.

I'll give up a few receptions for all the INT's and forced fumbles Maxwell created. And he created a LOT.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He got beat a lot here too, he just had a knack to make big plays in huge moments. He also had Earl over the top of course.

djb28

Reaction score
And he still gets paid a boat load of money for Sucking at his job, While I work 70 hrs a week just to to make a drop in the hat while doing an Excellent job!. ( so I think) I havent fired myself yet!

Seafan

Reaction score
IMO Browner, Thurmond and Maxwell are why Lane didn't get any huge offers. Hopefully the rest of the league will continue to be gun shy about the Hawks FAs.

RussB

Reaction score
Kind of weird how he declined so fast. I recently rewatched a couple of games from the 2014 season and he did really well for us, it almost seems like he stopped trying after he got paid all that money.

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkGA":29hkmym6 said:
Trenchbroom":29hkmym6 said:
Drakarin":29hkmym6 said:
DavidSeven":29hkmym6 said:

Another take on Swag:

Naw, it's an adjective among us youths.