Bye Week Poll: Has Bevell seen the light?

Has Bevell seen the light?

• Yes

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • Go home Laloosh, you're drunk

Votes: 41 44.1%

• Total voters

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
There was never a point where he hadn't seen the light. We just needed the offensive line to execute and Marshawn to get healthy. His playbook has always been sound. Russell is also being asked to make adjustments to his game to keep him in the pocket a bit more so as to preserve him. He's going to need that ability going foward as he ages. It's come with mixed results. But as far as Bevell goes, I still maintain he's the perfect fit for us as the offensive coordinator.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":10gcwdqc said:
There was never a point where he hadn't seen the light. We just needed the offensive line to execute and Marshawn to get healthy. His playbook has always been sound. Russell is also being asked to make adjustments to his game to keep him in the pocket a bit more so as to preserve him. He's going to need that ability going foward as he ages. It's come with mixed results. But as far as Bevell goes, I still maintain he's the perfect fit for us as the offensive coordinator.

I'm calling it, this guy is definitely related to Bevell. Or a stalker...

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
OkieHawk":2xrtb7ph said:
Siouxhawk":2xrtb7ph said:

Says the poster who has nothing.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":1hhg8r0c said:
SoulfishHawk":1hhg8r0c said:
Barely counts just as much as beating them by a bunch.

My point is that we scored only 13 points against a crappy team. Our offense is downright anemic.

The Cowboys are crappy?

Sure they arent winning much with their best two offensive players sidelined, but weren't they an iffy call away from playing us in the NFC championship game last year? That's still a talented bunch over there. No team wins all that much without their QB.

Not only that, but we had a fieldgoal blocked,(flukey) and would likely have tacked on 4 more at the end if we werent milking the clock.

20 points on the road suddenly looks acceptable.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Beyond sending in the personnel and calling the INITIAL formation, there's really no way to say what comes from Bevell and what Russell is doing based on what he sees. Ultimately, the onus is on Russell to put the offense in the best possible situation based on what the defense is doing. Obviously, there is a teaching component that Bevell is responsible for, so if Russell struggles in this regard, then some of that probably falls on him as well.

At this point, however, Russell and Bevell have been together long enough that Bevell shouldn't be spoon-feeding him plays and checks any longer. Russ knows the offense and should be figuring out how to manipulate it for maximum situational effectiveness.

We're getting the ball to the middle of the field a lot better now. I'm going to give Russ, Bevell, and even Cable some credit for that. I think we're getting his line-of-sight blocked up better and Russ/Bev aren't shying away from it as much as they used to. I think we've been running short route combos for a while, but they're starting to look better now. I just think our players are executing them better. They aren't rushing to their spot so aggressively and obviously anymore. The way Graham hesitated before cutting inside on that 3rd-down rub route is how he got himself open. The route running and ball delivery is starting to look more natural, less forced. T Lockett is a natural talent, and he's helped with that. Still room to improve.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":2s90khoe said:
Fire him! And replace him with Ken Whisenhunt

We're stuck with Bevell until the offseason. You don't fire an OC mid-season and hire a completely different guy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Laloosh":o8dnfoev said:
Okay, I really liked some of the quick passing game. TE over the middle, Lockett receiving the screen rather than Kearse kind of play calls we saw on Sunday. Wasn't perfect by any stretch but combined with Russ getting the ball out more quickly, I was smiling a lot more than I was crying on Sunday.

So my question is: Has Bevell seen the light?
One can only hope.

hawks85

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2n3ex637 said:
We scored 13 points, to barely beat the Cowboys, who are hardly a defensive juggernaut.
but we put up 24 against ciny in there house and they are a defensive juggernaut. go figure.

Bwarren

Reaction score
Statistically speaking the Hawks have not blown out any team or beat anyone since the Broncos in that super bowl. They have enough talent just don't score. That is an offensive strategy that depends on a great defense. Statistically speaking even a blind squirrel can find a nut. So why do the Seahawks only play close games? They should have one or two a season that should be two touch down or more victories......that just doesn't happen with this team. I think its predictable play calling and poor offensive execution. That is Bevell's responsibility as well as Cable's. They have no killer instinct anymore. Not every game has to come down to the last two minutes to win. And this is happening every week now. How good would our defense be if they could attack instead of defend.

rideaducati

Reaction score
firebee":26d5gbnh said:
I don't think Bevell's seen the light, as much as Russell Wilson's figured out that he has to hit the first open opportunity because he can't hold onto the ball and wait for receivers to get open downfield. He took the first open options in the passing game, took what the defense gave him and didn't get caught trying to force a big play. I didn't really see any significant change in the design of the passing plays though.

I agree with this. Pete said that was emphasized this past week and Russell made the change. He is still looking for "something better" too often for my taste, but at least there was improvement.

Seeing a bubble screen to Lockett was a LOT more promising than one to Kearse. Kearse is a good blocker, he should always be one of the guys BLOCKING on those plays.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I think our situational play calling (a lot of this is red zone) is still pretty bad.

That said, a lot of it falls on execution. We are flat out executing better.

marko358

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3jzzxis8 said:
You don't fire an OC mid-season and hire a completely different guy.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but didn't Baltimore do just that in 2012 and wind up winning the Super Bowl?

EDIT: Via wikipedia
Offensive Coordinator – Cam Cameron (Weeks 1–14) Jim Caldwell (Weeks 15-Playoffs)

mrt144

Reaction score
marko358":16jiz84j said:
Hasselbeck":16jiz84j said:
You don't fire an OC mid-season and hire a completely different guy.

Perhaps I'm mistaken but didn't Baltimore do just that in 2012 and wind up winning the Super Bowl?

EDIT: Via wikipedia
Offensive Coordinator – Cam Cameron (Weeks 1–14) Jim Caldwell (Weeks 15-Playoffs)

It's rare that it happens and works. Risk reward and all that jazz.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2iu4vpvj said:
Beyond sending in the personnel and calling the INITIAL formation, there's really no way to say what comes from Bevell and what Russell is doing based on what he sees. Ultimately, the onus is on Russell to put the offense in the best possible situation based on what the defense is doing. Obviously, there is a teaching component that Bevell is responsible for, so if Russell struggles in this regard, then some of that probably falls on him as well.

At this point, however, Russell and Bevell have been together long enough that Bevell shouldn't be spoon-feeding him plays and checks any longer. Russ knows the offense and should be figuring out how to manipulate it for maximum situational effectiveness.

We're getting the ball to the middle of the field a lot better now. I'm going to give Russ, Bevell, and even Cable some credit for that. I think we're getting his line-of-sight blocked up better and Russ/Bev aren't shying away from it as much as they used to. I think we've been running short route combos for a while, but they're starting to look better now. I just think our players are executing them better. They aren't rushing to their spot so aggressively and obviously anymore. The way Graham hesitated before cutting inside on that 3rd-down rub route is how he got himself open. The route running and ball delivery is starting to look more natural, less forced. T Lockett is a natural talent, and he's helped with that. Still room to improve.

I tend to agree at this point in time with this post.

The problem I had with Russ, Bevell and Cable is they were using all outside routes for the most part with 2 or less middle of the field plays per game. I think the option there is to keep it open for the running game. I do believe that variable of more middle field plays will make things easier to manipulate defenses and attack more. Tight end quick crosses and such. Also saw a lot of Willson too. I liked what I saw.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":1tqii4x1 said:
OkieHawk":1tqii4x1 said:
Siouxhawk":1tqii4x1 said:

Says the poster who has nothing.

I'm guessing that was supposed to be a comeback of some sort. I'll wait until you have something better.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3p265b1m said:
ivotuk":3p265b1m said:
Fire him! And replace him with Ken Whisenhunt

We're stuck with Bevell until the offseason. You don't fire an OC mid-season and hire a completely different guy.
This is entirely false. Lombardi for Detroit and Pep Hamilton of the Colts have been canned already. Also, if teams will dismiss their head coach mid-season not sure why a coordinator would be off limits. Pete probably won't do it, unfortunately.

13 points and people are suggesting Bevell has seen the light? Oh, dear.

Latest posts