Bryce Brown Re-Signed

johnnyfever

Reaction score
Good game coming up to test some of these guys. Should be a turnstile of RB's against the browns.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kearly":1gv6sg7c said:
Harris has 21 carries with Seattle. His longest run is 6 yards. Guy has no vision and no burst. He's basically Robert Turbin if Turbin was slow. Pretty much the only nice thing I can say about Harris is that yesterday was his first career fumble in 84 touches, which is above average.

Rawls has proven that having a 'feel' for how the line blocks is more important than anything. It would be wise to try out as many RBs as possible to see if any of them click with the line quickly like Rawls did. But failing that, at least get an athlete do doesn't run straight into tacklers. Hopefully Bryce Brown can be that guy.

It was just one run, but liked the burst that Derrick Coleman showed.
I think your assessment is too harsh, but I'm not advocating Harris as a long-term solution. His biggest flaw, as someone else pointed out, was that he didn't commit to a lane as quickly as needed. I'm not sure how much of that can be corrected via coaching, but it seems like he can improve a bit in a short amount of time. On the other hand, he's more physical than Turbin and certainly harder to tackle. I don't care if he has the home run threat that Rawls has so long as he can move the ball forward consistently, even if that's only 3-4 yards or so and keeps us in manageable situations.

Anyhow, we've just added another dude with big play ability (and a big flaw) to the mix, and if he or even Coleman can keep our running game effective for the next few games, then I don't care who gets the majority of carries. It would be nice if someone steps up and claims the role, though.

marko358

Reaction score
MysterMatt":g82sldw2 said:
I think your assessment is too harsh...

In these last two games he has 21 carries for 49 yards (2.3 yard avg) with a lost fumble in the red zone. At no point has he looked serviceable.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
This is a bit grim. Wish we still had Turbin, but with the current roster I'd rather see Coleman take some of the snaps or at least in the discussion to be the workhorse.
The recent tweets are not all that positive about Lynch being back. Huge unknown.
Either way,
After Rawls went out the running game was ugly. Hope he heals well.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
marko358":1t0n3wcs said:
MysterMatt":1t0n3wcs said:

In these last two games he has 21 carries for 49 yards (2.3 yard avg) with a lost fumble in the red zone. At no point has he looked serviceable.
If you're arguing against adding him to a fantasy team, I concur, but everyone fumbles a ball now and then. As kearly pointed out, he is above average in terms of protecting the ball. I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but it's silly to expect someone to come in and put up Rawls numbers and I'm fine with a guy who keeps things moving forward. It seems unlikely he'll pop off 10+ yard runs several times a game, but he seems just good enough for the next few games.

Now, having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if the team announces he's been cut by the end of today.

kearly

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3ufcqon0 said:
I think your assessment is too harsh, but I'm not advocating Harris as a long-term solution. His biggest flaw, as someone else pointed out, was that he didn't commit to a lane as quickly as needed. I'm not sure how much of that can be corrected via coaching, but it seems like he can improve a bit in a short amount of time. On the other hand, he's more physical than Turbin and certainly harder to tackle. I don't care if he has the home run threat that Rawls has so long as he can move the ball forward consistently, even if that's only 3-4 yards or so and keeps us in manageable situations.

Anyhow, we've just added another dude with big play ability (and a big flaw) to the mix, and if he or even Coleman can keep our running game effective for the next few games, then I don't care who gets the majority of carries. It would be nice if someone steps up and claims the role, though.

It seems like our OL is rewarding decisive runners as it is currently constructed. I think the secret to Rawls success was his combination of decisiveness, feel, and agility. Rawls runs hard but he also runs like he's playing flag football. If possible, he doesn't want to be touched. It's only when evading a defender is totally impossible that Rawls goes to truck a fool.

Harris is fairly indecisive, and also seeks contact ala Turbin. Yesterday I saw him turn several opportunities for 5-15 yard gains into 1 yard and a cloud of dust. And for a bigger RB, Harris got stopped cold when running into defenders- he struggles with yards after contact.

When Harris gets out on the edge, his speed seems to be below average. The lack of burst is an issue as well.

Harris can still be effective but not if he keeps intentionally running right at defenders. He's not Marshawn Lynch. He needs to find ways to zig zag on the fly but I don't think he's a talented enough runner to excel at such a style.

I don't know how good our OL really is at run blocking right now. But Rawls fit it like a glove. The best option is to search for a RB with similar traits to Rawls and hope for the best. Harris is the anti-Rawls.

j hawk

Reaction score
I think Coleman will be better than most people think. He has wiggle and some speed plus been in the system awhile. If Brown can learn to hold the rock he could set himself up for more years with the Hawks. We will need more depth going forward.

kearly

Reaction score
j hawk":yougglss said:
I think Coleman will be better than most people think. He has wiggle and some speed plus been in the system awhile. If Brown can learn to hold the rock he could set himself up for more years with the Hawks. We will need more depth going forward.

I don't know how good Coleman will be at RB, but his burst on that 19 yard run surprised me. I know Coleman isn't a real fullback but not since Leonard Weaver have I seen that kind of acceleration from a big man on our team.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kearly":16gumj0f said:
MysterMatt":16gumj0f said:

It seems like our OL is rewarding decisive runners as it is currently constructed. I think the secret to Rawls success was his combination of decisiveness, feel, and agility. Rawls runs hard but he also runs like he's playing flag football. If possible, he doesn't want to be touched. It's only when evading a defender is totally impossible that Rawls goes to truck a fool.

Harris is fairly indecisive, and also seeks contact ala Turbin. Yesterday I saw him turn several opportunities for 5-15 yard gains into 1 yard and a cloud of dust. And for a bigger RB, Harris got stopped cold when running into defenders- he struggles with yards after contact.

When Harris gets out on the edge, his speed seems to be below average. The lack of burst is an issue as well.

Harris can still be effective but not if he keeps intentionally running right at defenders. He's not Marshawn Lynch. He needs to find ways to zig zag on the fly but I don't think he's a talented enough runner to excel at such a style.

I don't know how good our OL really is at run blocking right now. But Rawls fit it like a glove. The best option is to search for a RB with similar traits to Rawls and hope for the best. Harris is the anti-Rawls.
Sign a guy off the street with no familiarity with our offense who can play like Rawls? Maybe if it was earlier in the season, but now? Good luck! Again, your argument that Rawls is superior is beyond debating, but for now I'd take growing familiarity with our system and OL over a lottery ticket. Brown might be that guy, which is totally cool, but the focus should be on building any kind of consistency that we can. Anti-Rawls and a committee is likely what we'll go with.

Optimus25

Reaction score
kearly":7hnf0wni said:
MysterMatt":7hnf0wni said:

Agreed. Watching Harris run yesterday was like watching bad American idol auditions. They think they have to sing to sound like the original artist instead of taking the song and making it theirs based on their own sound.

Harris seemed like he was trying imitate rawls or lynch, which does not fit his running profile.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
I'm perplexed by all the people on this site and others that even suggest bringing C. Mike back. I fully admit that when he was traded, I thought we gave up on him too soon. After reading the Times piece, I was surprised that he stuck around as long as he did.

I assume that most of you have seen one or both of these links, but for those who haven't, they both have fascinating info behind our running game with the ZBS. I'm sure both have been posted here before, but this seems like a great time to repost. Just say No to CM.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -seahawks/

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... -tom-cable

Largent80

Reaction score
Harris had almost 3 times more carries than Rawls, ended up with less yardage and fumbled points away. Not the greatest debut.

xgeoff

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1ztn3zyy said:
Agree, Harris wasn't special but he was adequate.

Think Harris needs to learn how to run better with ZBlocking, he spent a lot of time running sideways and not making the decisive upfield cuts quickly. If he can learn to do that and to hold onto the damn ball he might just fill in until Beast can return.

The team will find an answer until Lynch returns.

I do not like how this guy runs. Salk pointed it out this morning, and I agree with him, that Harris has all sorts of frenetic, wasted movement and goes nowhere. I don't want him, or Christine Michael for that matter, carrying the ball for us.

I would MUCH rather see more of Derrick Coleman than Harris.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
marko358":2wpzg3si said:
MysterMatt":2wpzg3si said:

Awesome sample size.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
marko358":q5pykkzc said:
Hopefully they continue with the compete mantra in practice and go with who looks best. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Coleman get more involved in the running game next week.
That'd be interesting to me. He is my favorite Seahawk and there is no better scenerio I could imagine for his chance to be..."next man up". Rawls hit the hole quick and I think Coleman might do the same.

All we need is a bulldozer like Eddie Lacey to put us in good down/distance situations not Adrian Peterson. Russell Wilson will kill any team out there if it's 3rd and 5 vs 3rd and 10. Just give him that option is the running game's job now.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Historically Brown seems to be similar to Rawls in that he was a decisive runner with really good burst of I remember correctly. I wouldn't be shocked if he outplayed Harris the rest of the way.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'd thought along with some that perhaps Schneider would go after Josh Robinson, but honestly given their overall philosophy in evaluating players this makes a lot of sense. Carroll is all about measureables and characteristics that really set players apart. One of the most important characteristics that Carroll of course likes is something Bryce Brown has -- Speed. I did some research on him and found quite a bit to like.

He runs a sub 4.4 (he's been clocked as fast as 4.32), has an excellent burst, good vision, and has talent. Coming out of high school, he was considered by some to be either the top RB in the country (or right near the top) and the best RB talent to come out of the state of Kansas since Barry Sanders. He ran in to some trouble while at Tennessee and was investigated for alleged NCAA violations related to receiving funds through a website run by someone who identified himself as his "trainer and handler." He left Tennessee in 2010 after Lane Kiffin bolted for USC and ended up transferring to Kansas State. Per NCAA rules, he had to sit out the 2010 season and then left the team altogether in 2011. He declared himself eligible for the 2012 NFL draft, but didn't end up being invited to the combine that year. At his Pro Day, he wowed scouts, consistently running between 4.37 and 4.45 ... having a vertical of 34 inches ... and putting up 22 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. Those are fairly impressive numbers for a guy who's 6'0" and 220 pounds.

He ended up being drafted in the 7th round by the Eagles in 2012 ... and had a couple of big time performances for them that year. He racked up 178 yards rushing and 2 TD on 19 carries against the Panthers ... and followed that up the next week with 169 yards and 2 TD against the Cowboys. The problem? He also fumbled twice against the Panthers and again late in the 4th Quarter against the Cowboys. That was pretty much it for him in terms of the idea of him being a featured back for the Eagles.

He ended up being traded to the Bills in 2014 and it doesn't look as if he's really ever gotten a true shot after that. Could this perhaps be yet another Schneider diamond in the rough? Maybe. Only time will tell. It appears that he's obviously got some talent. At 24 years old, he's still fairly young and has a lot of tread on the tires. Personally, I'd like to see this kid get some reps and see what happens.

For those who are interested, here are some highlights of him from 2012-2013 ...

[youtube]maJzY6tYzGg[/youtube]