Browns shopping Josh Gordon

C-Dub

Reaction score
Josh Gordon? No way. There's enough buried talent at the WR position. Once Rice is released next year, Chop Chop/Williams can step up.

kearly

Reaction score
I would trade for Gordon in a heartbeat. He's got two cheap years left after this season, he's got #1 WR talent and has some production on a miserable offense. You'd probably have to punt Stephen Williams to make it happen, but so what? Seattle is pretty likely to lose Rice and/or Tate next offseason, it's possible that Baldwin could get traded as well (RFA).

He's one strike away from a 1 year suspension, but that seems like a good motivating factor to stay out of trouble, no? Pete's guys have been in the news for PEDs, but much less so for off the field infractions.

I was a big fan of Gordon in college, and I'm not surprised by his success. If we got him, he could easily be our top WR within a year or two.

This situation reminds me of Marshawn Lynch a few years ago. A young, blue chip talent available because of off-the-field concerns who turned into a bargain buy. If I was NE or SF, I'd call Lombardi and force him to trade Gordon or hang up on me.

Seattle is not done drafting WRs. If they lose Rice and Tate and even Baldwin next offseason, then they'll suddenly be in a position of need. Seattle needs to get cheaper at WR. The way to do that is by drafting them, WR is one of the most bust-prone positions in the draft and even the good ones take time to acclimate. Gordon has already proven he's a very good WR and could be fully acclimated by next season. I'm not saying this trade SHOULD happen, but I think it makes a ton more sense than the Harvin deal. If JS got Gordon for a 2nd rounder (a pick that will probably be in the late 50s or early 60s), I'd consider it a win, because the odds are pretty good Seattle will spend a high pick on WR next year anyway to get cheaper at the position.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Largent80":2m76eqbh said:
I am happy with our team the way it is.

Now this, I don't agree with.

Content with the team leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to decline in talent. Decline in talent leads to losing. Losing leads to suffering.

-A well-known Jedi Master.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It'd be a waste IMO and certainly not worth the draft capital the Browns would want in exchange for him. I think he's a very promising player and the Browns would be fools to trade him, but he'd be "just a guy" on this team. The fact is, we don't throw it very much, and I'm almost convinced we never will with Pete's run-first philosophy and Russell's obsession with avoiding turnovers. Russell will almost always scramble before making a 50/50 throw. We'll be at or near the bottom of the league in attempts for a long time, which I don't mind at all. However, that means a guy like Gordon, who would get 3-5 targets a game here, really isn't going to help us as much as he would help other teams.

FYI, Gordon had nearly double the targets Rice had last year and finished with roughly the same yardage.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well if you aren't happy with the team, you can jump to the 9ers, they have a lot more room this week for newbies.

You think Sids catch Sunday was anything but spectacular that this dude could do better?

Largent80

Reaction score
Really?....So you think we are ok on the O-Line?

And that we need a receiver more than a good tackle?

Breno is hurt and Okung is out. We have rookie backups.

themunn

Reaction score
And yet we traded our first round pick for a WR when we had Tate, Rice and Baldwin and spent our second on a running back when we have Lynch and Turbin.

2 of our starting O-Linemen were picked up midseason off waivers, another was an undrafted free agent.

Gordon had more yards last season than any Seattle WR has had in the last 4 years - as a rookie playing for the Browns.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
themunn":2luge1f5 said:
And yet we traded our first round pick for a WR when we had Tate, Rice and Baldwin and spent our second on a running back when we have Lynch and Turbin.

2 of our starting O-Linemen were picked up midseason off waivers, another was an undrafted free agent.

Gordon had more yards last season than any Seattle WR has had in the last 4 years - as a rookie playing for the Browns.

Again, he got twice as many targets as Rice and barely surpassed him in overall yards. Gordon's catch rate according to Football Outsiders last year was 53%. Rice's was 62%; Tate was at 69%. We traded a #1 for Harvin because he's a dynamic and unique player in this league. He has value as a receiver, runner and returner. I think Gordon is a good player, but he's not a unique one.

2012 FO Adjusted WR rankings: Rice #14, Tate #19, Gordon #51.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
To any team I think Gordon's worth at least a 2nd round pick and if it took that to get him I'd make the move. As mentioned above, this team is spending a good amount of money on its receivers, now, to the point where it's digging into other players contract to afford both Rice and Harvin, let alone re-sign Tate. A trade of a 2nd rd pick now for #1 receiver upside is a smart forward-thinking draft move, imo, if you believe that either Rice or Tate won't be here next year. I'd be surprised, though, if another more needy team doesn't cough up more than the Hawks do (If the Browns even trade him.)

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2k62mgda said:
themunn":2k62mgda said:

Again, he got twice as many targets as Rice and barely surpassed him in overall yards. Gordon's catch rate according to Football Outsiders last year was 53%. Rice's was 62%; Tate was at 69%. We traded a #1 for Harvin because he's a dynamic and unique player in this league. He has value as a receiver, runner and returner. I think Gordon is a good player, but he's not a unique one.

2012 FO Adjusted WR rankings: Rice #14, Tate #19, Gordon #51.

Wasn't Fitzgerald like 100th on that list?

If Gordon was in the hawks, he would also be up there in efficiency/ranking. It's how the team plays.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Keep in mind if you trade for Gordon now, you're not just losing a draft pick. You're losing a roster spot, too. Thus, I think you're really giving up a 2nd rounder and Stephen Williams for Gordon since there's no way Seattle carries 7 WRs.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2acrjxvk said:
Keep in mind if you trade for Gordon now, you're not just losing a draft pick. You're losing a roster spot, too. Thus, I think you're really giving up a 2nd rounder and Stephen Williams for Gordon since there's no way Seattle carries 7 WRs.

We have an open spot now, and kearse has an ankle injury. Also, lbh, Stephen Williams is not a big deal.

There is no way Gordon is worth a second round pick.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2kr8emzp said:
DavidSeven":2kr8emzp said:

We have an open spot now, and kearse has an ankle injury. Also, lbh, Stephen Williams is not a big deal.

That open spot is going to be filled by Bruce Irvin next week and Kearse isn't going on IR. Not saying Williams is a world-beater, but if the Niners claimed him off waivers, he'd immediately be their second best receiver at minimum.

I think Cleveland will want at least a second for Gordon. He's a second year player who was taken in the second round and outperformed his draft position. Character is the only thing that might devalue him a bit.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1w3uy115 said:
Coug_Hawk08":1w3uy115 said:
DavidSeven":1w3uy115 said:

That open spot is going to be filled by Bruce Irvin next week and Kearse isn't going on IR. Not saying Williams is a world-beater, but if the Niners claimed him off waivers, he'd immediately be their second best receiver at minimum.

I think Cleveland will want at least a second for Gordon. He's a second year player who was taken in the second round and outperformed his draft position. Character is the only thing that might devalue him a bit.

Why are we always worried about niners picking up our scraps? Our 5th guy is their first or second best option? Good. Wouldn't worry me in the slightest, he is not very good receiver.

Their GM would do very well to get a second. You are downplaying the fact that he has one strike left and he is out for an entire season. In addition, they are trying to dump him, pretty rare you get face value back for vet players. They got way below on the Richardson trade.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3vvt6mnt said:

Point taken, but if we're only keeping 5 now, there's a chance Williams will be released anyway to make room for Harvin when he returns so it more like we're just losing him for the next 6 games (Or whoever else at another position). Considering his playing time now, it isn't as much of a lose in addition to the draft pick.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2zs0nl4u said:
Why are we always worried about niners picking up our scraps? Our 5th guy is their first or second best option? Good. Wouldn't worry me in the slightest, he is not very good receiver.

Their GM would do very well to get a second. You are downplaying the fact that he has one strike left and he is out for an entire season. In addition, they are trying to dump him, pretty rare you get face value back for vet players. They got way below on the Richardson trade.

I don't care who the Niners pick up. It's merely a demonstration that just because he's #5 or #6 on our depth chart, doesn't mean he's a worthless player. I think he's an NFL caliber WR, but you're free to disagree.

What do you base your idea that he's not a good WR on? He's been targeted twice this season. Drew a PI on one play and arguably dropped a 40-50 yard bomb that was difficult to catch on the other. He lit it up in the preseason (which I know doesn't mean much but it's all we're going on now).

Cleveland used a 1st on Richardson and got a 1st in return. Yes, it's unlikely to be as high as a third overall pick, but Richardson has also underperformed his draft position. Not true of Gordon.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
DavidSeven":392v8oww said:
Coug_Hawk08":392v8oww said:

I don't care who the Niners pick up. It's merely a demonstration that just because he's #5 or #6 on our depth chart, doesn't mean he's a worthless player. I think he's an NFL caliber WR, but you're free to disagree.

What do you base your idea that he's not a good WR on? He's been targeted twice this season. Drew a PI on one play and arguably dropped a 40-50 yard bomb that was difficult to catch on the other. He lit it up in the preseason (which I know doesn't mean much but it's all we're going on now).

Cleveland used a 1st on Richardson and got a 1st in return. Yes, it's unlikely to be as high as a third overall pick, but Richardson has also underperformed his draft position. Not true of Gordon.

Williams has never been a starter, or anything close to it. Always talked about in camp/preseason, but nothing in regular season. He doesn't play teams, and dude is now 27. He has done nothing that makes himself stand out as even a good nfl receiver. He drew a PI and dropped a pass? *golf clap*

I don't buy the 2nd rounder at all. Guess we will have to see.