Browns shopping Josh Gordon

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1e1u0res said:
It's about leverage. Sending a blast e-mail to NFL execs is going to make you look desperate and is going to set off alarm bells to anyone reading it. Leaking it to the media makes it look like you're not necessarily in a hurry to ship the player out (even though you probably are). This matters in terms of the compensation you're likely to receive.

Okay, fine, so you work the phones. And if they're using the media, for the second time this week they've used the media to say they're not friggin trading him. :)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... -chud-says
Cleveland Browns coach Rob Chudzinski has doubled down on squashing the Josh Gordon trade talk.
"We're not shopping Josh and we have no plans of trading Josh," Chudzinski told reporters Wednesday, per The Plain Dealer.

Just to reiterate one more time and provide some more detail (and then I promise I'll drop it):

*When these recent reports about the price being a second emerged they all acknowledged that they weren't reporting on current discussions, but discussions from after Week 2. It wasn't "news" because it was current, it was news because word had finally gotten around. All of the conversations any team has been reported to have with them -- even in these new stories -- occurred between weeks 2 and 3.

In the case of the 9ers reporting that all this came from, the story was that the 9ers and Browns talked about trading Gordon for a 2nd rounder after week 2, but that by the time the story leaked (last week) that was not going to happen because the Browns weren't interested in trading him anymore and because three weeks later the 9ers were 2 weeks away from getting Manningham back and 4 weeks away from getting Crabtree back. It was really incredibly cut-and-dry, but of course, 9ers fans like fans of every other team ignored this so they could fantasize about getting a very young guy who has looked like a Top 5 WR in the NFL for the last three weeks for only a 2nd rounder. It was inconvenient to read the stories for what they were -- this was old news, and the Browns had pulled the offer -- so people just pretended the news was something different than it was.

*And this all makes perfect sense. The Browns being 0-2 and wanting to trade Gordon and Richardson made sense. The Browns have now won three straight, and are in second place in their division. Gordon has also looked all world. The fans would mutiny if they traded him now. It's why the Browns are forced to constantly roll their eyes and say they're not trading him. It's not a conspiracy, it's fans who have selectively read a news report and ignored the details that make it less entertaining to talk about.

And yeah, I'll eat all of the crow if I'm wrong on this one, but I'd also be happy to bet whatever anyone wants that I'm not. :)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Josh Gordon rumors resurfacing, with 2 teams reported to have a standing offer of a high pick and a player.

The Niners could to be one of the teams in the mix.
A week til the trade deadline.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ And all these same reports are still saying that the Browns aren't interested.

Still don't think it's gonna happen, and down to bet something on it. :)