Browner 1 year suspension is for substance abuse per NFL

CANHawk

Reaction score
SDHawk":30w2k6l6 said:
mikeak":30w2k6l6 said:
Crabhawk":30w2k6l6 said:
To further the derail... Yes there is a difference between salary and accumulated wealth. Assuming BB's salary is at $700k,that puts him at >12x the median US household income of ~$56, and that is in the top ~1% of income earners.

To put that into perspective, if I've been at my job for 10 years and roughly earned the median household income, I would have made $140k less than BB made in one year. Even at $100k/year, in 10 years I would have made $400k less than BB made in 2 years.

To normalize the numbers you have to consider the present values of BB's earnings vs a $100k/year salary earner, AND remember that BB has salary earning potential after football. Even assuming he only makes the median household income after the NFL, the front loaded years earning $700k are worth so much in PV that it would take decades for the two curves to even get reasonably close.

tl;dr BB definitely isn't set for life on $700k/yr, but is worth more than the middle class as a function of his present value in the NFL and it's not even close.

You are ignoring his tax rate and your tax rate. You are comparing net vs his contract rate. You are ignoring his costs to agents, lawyer to look over contract and other moving costs etc trying to have a career.

You are assuming that he will earn average later - based on what? He will start at ground zero he has not skills related to performing work.

He may live the rest of his life with pain throughout his body, issues with memory loss etc - items that people kept saying these guys gets paid for. However you just said the extra he got paid was for being pampered not for the toll on his body for the rest of his life.

Yeah I get it construction worker may have similiar issues etc but they don't get hit in the head continously. Give me back pain all my life if I have a healthy mind

of that $700k / year he is not putting more than $350k in the wallet. He earns that for a couple of years - it will most definately not put him in the 1% category for life

Mikeak, you obviously don't have a background in finance.

Maybe learn yourself some concepts such as DCF, NPV, opportunity cost, compounding interest and annualized inflation rates.

Perhaps also take a gander at concepts such as leverage. You know, taking out a loan to finance investments.

Would you rather have $36k now or $1k a month for the next 3 years?

I'd rather have $36k worth of chimichangas. That'd be soooooo awesome...

brimsalabim

Reaction score
fwiw Browner maintains that he has not been using and that he has not failed a test. He was put into the system by Denver because of college trouble. He did not continue with the NFL system after he was let go. His attorney claims that this is about Browner not participating in the NFL system while he played ball in Canada. If this is at all true I am sorry for comments I have made and I hope Paul Allen has a staff of attorney's working on this.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
brimsalabim":a15jqwxk said:
fwiw Browner maintains that he has not been using and that he has not failed a test. He was put into the system by Denver because of college trouble. He did not continue with the NFL system after he was let go. His attorney claims that this is about Browner not participating in the NFL system while he played ball in Canada. If this is at all true I am sorry for comments I have made and I hope Paul Allen has a staff of attorney's working on this.

Where have you read this? I have been looking and can't find this info.

stack600

Reaction score
Did anybody else hear Clayton explain B.B. situation on 710....Or how the league runs the drug Program....You get 3 failed test before you loose game checks and 4 before your suspended for 4 games. I looked too see if this was posted so if I missed it forgive me. But what Clayton said was very interesting...especially in Browners case....He might just win his appeal.

stack600

Reaction score
brimsalabim":34qm9yfv said:
Also after he was let go by Denver, the NFL has to prove it communicated that he had to stay in the program. And according to Clayton B.B. was unemployed and jumping from couch to couch and did not have a physical address. So he missed 4 test by default and should not be Phase 3. I think B.B. has a good case..Time will tell...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The unfortunate thing is if Browner won his appeal (which IMO he absolutely should because it's a joke he's in Stage 3 because he simply wasn't on an NFL roster).. by the time its ruled upon.. the 4-game suspension would likely carry into next season.

So either way, I think we've seen Brandon Browner's last days as a Seahawk.

seahawks_steve

Reaction score
stack600":40fvk4ox said:
Did anybody else hear Clayton explain B.B. situation on 710....Or how the league runs the drug Program....You get 3 failed test before you loose game checks and 4 before your suspended for 4 games. I looked too see if this was posted so if I missed it forgive me. But what Clayton said was very interesting...especially in Browners case....He might just win his appeal.

What Clayton just said blows the lid off of this whole thing.
Sounds like BB may not have ANY games suspended after this appeal is all said and done.

I encourage everyone to go find that audio.

stack600

Reaction score
According to Clayton he should not be suspended, that it only would put him in the 4 game Check phase....

Polaris

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":39m4mmhx said:
The unfortunate thing is if Browner won his appeal (which IMO he absolutely should because it's a joke he's in Stage 3 because he simply wasn't on an NFL roster).. by the time its ruled upon.. the 4-game suspension would likely carry into next season.

So either way, I think we've seen Brandon Browner's last days as a Seahawk.

Based on what Clayton was saying, if Browner wins his appeal, I don't think he gets any suspension....merely goes back to being on the substance abuse program. If that's true,. then we may see Browner back in time for the playoffs. Edit: And yes, makes an involuntary donation to NFL Charities :)

stack600

Reaction score
seahawks_steve":1ju9vhdc said:
stack600":1ju9vhdc said:

What Clayton just said blows the lid off of this whole thing.
Sounds like BB may not have ANY games suspended after this appeal is all said and done.

I encourage everyone to go find that audio.
Sorry Steve, you beat me to it...Take it and run with it :13:

stack600

Reaction score
Sad part is..that means WT3 failed 4 tests WTF..................To get a 4 game suspension...........

Polaris

Reaction score
Mike Silver should be drawn and quartered for his so-called "reporting"....or at least have his pants sued off.

Polaris

Reaction score
stack600":1t7isbts said:
Sad part is..that means WT3 failed 4 tests WTF..................To get a 4 game suspension...........

True that. If what John Clayton says is true (and if Browner wins the appeal), then it puts a different perspective on things including the future of both players.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Polaris":3j87f8dq said:
Mike Silver should be drawn and quartered for his so-called "reporting"....or at least have his pants sued off.

At the very least, his sources were league-tainted.

stack600

Reaction score
Polaris":15wy9or0 said:
If I was B.B.. His agent or attorney, and he wins the appeal with no suspension. I'd want to sue somebody's @$$ off.