Brock Coyle is the starting middle linebacker

olyfan63

Reaction score
Missed my chance to chip in Patrick Kearney first. Pre-Pete, of course. I think his tank was on E and he had shoulder problems (like not being able to raise his arm(s) when we got him.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Scottemojo":goeldsf0 said:
Croyle tends to sit and wait for the play to come to him. Maybe a week of prep will help.

Wright and Smith had a terrible dynamic. Smith isn't at his best vs the run anyway, but he and Wright had some big struggles playing side by side in controlling their gaps.

KPL had no such issues. He missed a tackle he should not have, but he was in his gaps vs the run.

I felt like he hit the running lanes pretty hard in preseason. I know he played last week some, but didn't notice a whole lot from him. I'm looking forward to see him play as a starter. Hopefully he can fill some gaps and pound some fools.

RiverDog

Reaction score
After reading some of the comments in this thread, I think many of you may be surprised at the results our D has with Coyle at mike. He didn't play all that badly in preseason when Wags was sitting. He's not going to stuff many plays behind the LOS unless he shoots a gap or something and he's not going to beat a lot of double teams, but he's not going to get out of position and take himself out of plays. I think he holds the fort pretty well until Wags is healthy again.

On a side note, this game has the look and feel to it that the Tampa Bay game did last season, and the players and coaches on our team have picked up on the similarities as well. I don't think we're gonna see Oakland rushing for 200 some yards like the Bucs did last season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":zewo2l6z said:
After reading some of the comments in this thread, I think many of you may be surprised at the results our D has with Coyle at mike. He didn't play all that badly in preseason when Wags was sitting. He's not going to stuff many plays behind the LOS unless he shoots a gap or something and he's not going to beat a lot of double teams, but he's not going to get out of position and take himself out of plays. I think he holds the fort pretty well until Wags is healthy again. It frees up KJ to go back to his natural OLB position and pushes Irvin to DE, his natural position.

On a side note, this game has the look and feel to it that the Tampa Bay game did last season, and the players and coaches on our team have picked up on the similarities as well. I don't think we're gonna see Oakland rushing for 200 some yards like the Bucs did last season.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
kearly":gd53ben8 said:
Brock Coyle kind of reminds me of Chris Maragos. A bit of a AAA talent, the kind that plays solidly well in the preseason but just has to survive in real games. Both play defense with an anxiety ridden "just don't screw up" mentality.

Considering that Coyle is essentially our 6th string LB after losing Wagner, Smith, and Farwell, I'm happy to have him. He's probably better than most LBs that deep on a roster. At the same time, I think he's more of a bandaid player than a future star based on what I've seen up to this point.

That's what I meant. Well said, Kip.

Just don't see a playmaker, I see a place holder.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, he has to actually PLAY to become a play maker. At least we will see him in action and then make an informed opinion.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
That's never stopped me before, Rob. And honestly, some playing time is a blessing for the kid. Hopefully it slows things down so he can stop thinking so much and just knock the crap out of some running backs.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
I guess the good part of guys like Coyle starting in spot duty, is that the Seahawks have two favorable games at home (Raiders and Giants) and this can do nothing but help the teams depth by playing all these young backups at all of these positions until the starters comes back. I just hope the team can win these two games while the starters get healthy for the final stretch run at a playoff spot.

byau

Reaction score
SirTed":30g3sv5g said:
LOL.

Okay, you got me.

I never claimed to be a rocket surgeon. I'm just reporting what my eyeballs saw. If it's strictly a function of reps of Coyle, then great. I just remember being intrigued by the guy, then watching him getting absolutely mauled in the Dallas game ( granted, great OL). But I'll say that I wasn't surprised that Wags ended up coming back.

Even in the preseason, I saw Coyle getting to the spot, but rarely doing more than dragging guys down. Maybe it's an esthetic thing, maybe it's nothing at all. I'd like to think that I can understand the game better than most fans, but the truth is, I know dick about playing LB, or any other football position.

I'll be happy to be wrong. As others have said, I think this is the perfect opportunity against OAK.

But you're not touching my knighthood. :)

Stand your ground Ted :)

6' 0" ; 241 lbs
6' 1" ; 243 lbs

There can be a huge difference between a similar tale of the tape. Anyone who watches a lot of boxing or UFC/MMA can attest to this.

MissoulaHawkFan":30g3sv5g said:
To be fair, I initially thought Coyle didn't pass the eye test, but once I checked the roster I was mildly surprised. He "looks" (on tv) to be more a Lofa Tutupu size around 5-10ish. Not too shabby for an undrafted free agent though. He probably won't "look" like an NFL player until he has an off-season or 2 under his belt. Just guessing though. I'm no expert.

The eye test is still an important gauge. You can't go strictly by numbers.

That being said, I haven't seen Coyle practice :) Looking at the photos though, that guy looks pretty thick!

Their scouting report

Name: Bobby Wagner
College: Utah State Number: 9
Height: 6-0 Weight: 241
Position: OLB Pos2: ILB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2012
40 Low: 4.42 40 Time: 4.46 40 High: 4.58
Projected Round: 2 Stock: High: Early 2 Low: 3
Rated number 4 out of 135 OLB's 49 / 1970 TOTAL

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... genpos=olb

Name: Brock Coyle
College: Montana Number: 56
Height: 6-1 Weight: 235
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB/ST
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2014
40 Low: 4.56 40 Time: 4.62 40 High: 4.74
Projected Round: 4-5 Stock: High: 3-4th Low: 6th
Rated number 5 out of 110 ILB's 144 / 2255 TOTAL

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... genpos=ILB

skihawk

Reaction score
Man there are some serious experts out there :roll: . Lets be honest if he sucked there is no way in hell he would be on the seahawks. The kid can play, and has shown that throughout the season. He was third leading tackler in the preseason in entire NFL, played in every game thus far and last week contributed huge on the goal line stop that made Carolina kick a field goal. Oh also made the huge tackle on ST right after the go-ahead touchdown.

Also don't you all think that Ken Norton Jr. the only player in NFL history with 3 superbowl wins in a row as a linebacker specifically middle linebacker would know a few things about that position and being able to evaluate talent? I guarantee he is better than every single one of us at that. He knows talent and who can play in this league.

Lastly what I am so pumped about is the support and confidence all his teammates have in him. It says a lot when the captain of the Defense is coming out saying its no fluke why he is here.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... -in-coyle/

My suggestion to the non believers is first do a little research before bloggin and second watch the entire game and every snap. Its a team game and I expect the defense will do great this weekend with the rookie in the middle ( also KPL in nickle).

The best teams in the league use all 46 players every Sunday, this is a great game to watch our depth being built for the long season and most importantly getting us back to the playoffs! The Hawks are going to need it!

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I'll second that. Very nice post Skihawk!

And in fact, it deserves to be repeated .....

skihawk":32qhg2k5 said:
Man there are some serious experts out there :roll: . Lets be honest if he sucked there is no way in hell he would be on the seahawks. The kid can play, and has shown that throughout the season. He was third leading tackler in the preseason in entire NFL, played in every game thus far and last week contributed huge on the goal line stop that made Carolina kick a field goal. Oh also made the huge tackle on ST right after the go-ahead touchdown.

Also don't you all think that Ken Norton Jr. the only player in NFL history with 3 superbowl wins in a row as a linebacker specifically middle linebacker would know a few things about that position and being able to evaluate talent? I guarantee he is better than every single one of us at that. He knows talent and who can play in this league.

Lastly what I am so pumped about is the support and confidence all his teammates have in him. It says a lot when the captain of the Defense is coming out saying its no fluke why he is here.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... -in-coyle/

My suggestion to the non believers is first do a little research before bloggin and second watch the entire game and every snap. Its a team game and I expect the defense will do great this weekend with the rookie in the middle ( also KPL in nickle).

The best teams in the league use all 46 players every Sunday, this is a great game to watch our depth being built for the long season and most importantly getting us back to the playoffs! The Hawks are going to need it!

Looking forward to Brook's game day test. :th2thumbs: (I always like tests)

Latest posts