Brock Coyle is the starting middle linebacker

SirTed

Reaction score
lukerguy said:
Coyle is nails versus the run.
/quote]

Really?

Not that I know everything, but all I remember of Coyle (in games that matter) is watching him guess the wrong gaps on run plays and even worse, getting absolutely annihilated by blockers even when he was in the right spot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
With actual game prep, I think Coyle will be fine. Not to mention.. his one case study came against the best OL in the league.. again.. with little prep as a starter.

I have a feeling KPL is going to take Malcolm's "job" (and by that I just mean a starting designation) when it's all said and done though. Kid looks really really good. Loved the pick when it happened, and love it even more now. Especially if it allows Bruce to go down and play DE, where he has looked a lot better so far this year.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2khjfzy1 said:
With actual game prep, I think Coyle will be fine. Not to mention.. his one case study came against the best OL in the league.. again.. with little prep as a starter.

I have a feeling KPL is going to take Malcolm's "job" (and by that I just mean a starting designation) when it's all said and done though. Kid looks really really good. Loved the pick when it happened, and love it even more now. Especially if it allows Bruce to go down and play DE, where he has looked a lot better so far this year.

Maybe youre right, #51 just needed time to learn and get better which only playing in actual games could do. IF he can
slide right back to DE and be as effective as he was against Guy Smiley (Newton) then sheeeeesh.

He is unbelievably fast.

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm not to hip on this idea. Kid earned his shot though, but, there's little chance he'd be anymore than a traffic cone against teams like the 49ers or Eagles.

grizrgood

Reaction score
Abach":1p2lo80b said:
Hawk Strap":1p2lo80b said:
God help us Coyle sucks
Why do you say that? In the limited time I've seen him he looks OK. Definitely doesn't suck though, like schilling sucking.

Have a little faith my man, Brock Coyle does NOT suck!! Don't for get that Brock is only 6 months or so from being a Montana Grizzly...he's rookie and needs some NFL game experience. I had the pleasure of watching him play in pretty much every game he played in college and he is a flat out tenacious defender and was always around the ball and making plays. He was one of those guys that never quit on a play....just rock solid!! I completely understand the difference between the Big Sky and the NFL but get him a little experience and I guarantee he will change your opinion.

SirTed

Reaction score
grizrgood":1jxpk2ny said:
Abach":1jxpk2ny said:
Hawk Strap":1jxpk2ny said:
God help us Coyle sucks
Why do you say that? In the limited time I've seen him he looks OK. Definitely doesn't suck though, like schilling sucking.

Have a little faith my man, Brock Coyle does NOT suck!! Don't for get that Brock is only 6 months or so from being a Montana Grizzly...he's rookie and needs some NFL game experience. I had the pleasure of watching him play in pretty much every game he played in college and he is a flat out tenacious defender and was always around the ball and making plays. He was one of those guys that never quit on a play....just rock solid!! I completely understand the difference between the Big Sky and the NFL but get him a little experience and I guarantee he will change your opinion.

My criticism of him has nothing to do with his skill or tenacity. Everything to do with him being waaay to small for the NFL, IMO. I think he'll do okay against the Raiders (perhaps the worst run attack in the league) but he just doesn't have the size strength, IMO.

grizrgood

Reaction score
SirTed":3oncz9or said:
grizrgood":3oncz9or said:
Abach":3oncz9or said:
Hawk Strap":3oncz9or said:
God help us Coyle sucks

My criticism of him has nothing to do with his skill or tenacity. Everything to do with him being waaay to small for the NFL, IMO. I think he'll do okay against the Raiders (perhaps the worst run attack in the league) but he just doesn't have the size strength, IMO.

That was my biggest question mark with Brock after he signed with the Hawks so I do understand your point but the NFL seems to be trending (for the time being) to smaller faster middle linebackers. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Reaction score
SirTed":vks4iby4 said:

Soooo... let's do this:

According to the Seahawks.com official roster these are the heights and weights of a couple line-backers.

Player A: 6' 0" ; 241 lbs
Player B: 6' 1" ; 243 lbs

Is one or both of those guys too small to play MLB in the NFL? If so, then that would eliminate "Player A" who is.....Bobby Wagner.

If it were argued that Coyle isn't "strong" enough yet, I would agree with that, because he hasn't really had a whole off-season of NFL training.

Oh yeah, Player B? Brock Coyle.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Too small, hmm, am I missing something? Coyle is listed at 6'1 243lbs. That's right in line with last year's all pros. NaVorro Bowman comes in at 6'0 242lbs, and Luke Kuechly at 6'3 238lbs.

Speed? Bowman ran a 4.77 at the combine. Kuechly a 4.58. Coyle ran 4.6

I don't put a great amount of stock in the applicability of the bench press, but again, Coyle is right in line with those guys. Kuechly put up 27 reps, 26 for Bowman, and 25 for Coyle.

Is this some sort of functional strength/size argument, or do you now know what you're talking about?

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
MissoulaHawkFan":3dso8m0o said:
SirTed":3dso8m0o said:

Soooo... let's do this:

According to the Seahawks.com official roster these are the heights and weights of a couple line-backers.

Is one or both of those guys too small to play MLB in the NFL? If so, then that would eliminate "Player A" who is.....Bobby Wagner.

If it were argued that Coyle isn't "strong" enough yet, I would agree with that, because he hasn't really had a whole off-season of NFL training.

Ah, you beat me to the argument by a hair. I structured mine slightly differently, but the point is the same.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":jmphnb4t said:
MissoulaHawkFan":jmphnb4t said:
SirTed":jmphnb4t said:

Soooo... let's do this:

Ah, you beat me to the argument by a hair. I structured mine slightly differently, but the point is the same.

Me too. Can we revoke Ted's knighthood?

SirTed

Reaction score
LOL.

Okay, you got me.

I never claimed to be a rocket surgeon. I'm just reporting what my eyeballs saw. If it's strictly a function of reps of Coyle, then great. I just remember being intrigued by the guy, then watching him getting absolutely mauled in the Dallas game ( granted, great OL). But I'll say that I wasn't surprised that Wags ended up coming back.

Even in the preseason, I saw Coyle getting to the spot, but rarely doing more than dragging guys down. Maybe it's an esthetic thing, maybe it's nothing at all. I'd like to think that I can understand the game better than most fans, but the truth is, I know dick about playing LB, or any other football position.

I'll be happy to be wrong. As others have said, I think this is the perfect opportunity against OAK.

But you're not touching my knighthood. :)

Reaction score
Naw, I don't think we need to revoke his knighthood. To be fair, I initially thought Coyle didn't pass the eye test, but once I checked the roster I was mildly surprised. He "looks" (on tv) to be more a Lofa Tutupu size around 5-10ish. Not too shabby for an undrafted free agent though. He probably won't "look" like an NFL player until he has an off-season or 2 under his belt. Just guessing though. I'm no expert.

kearly

Reaction score
Brock Coyle kind of reminds me of Chris Maragos. A bit of a AAA talent, the kind that plays solidly well in the preseason but just has to survive in real games. Both play defense with an anxiety ridden "just don't screw up" mentality.

Considering that Coyle is essentially our 6th string LB after losing Wagner, Smith, and Farwell, I'm happy to have him. He's probably better than most LBs that deep on a roster. At the same time, I think he's more of a bandaid player than a future star based on what I've seen up to this point.

drdiags

Reaction score
Good for him. It isn't like the team can go scan the waiver wire for quality starting MLBs and too late to trade for one. The coaches see him as the next best player to fit into the starting LB rotation, otherwise they leave KJ in the middle and promote one of the other outside LB types. Also could be concerns about the special teams. Mike Morgan must be a special teams monster they rather not have in the main rotation? And KPL must be greener than Coyle.

It isn't like the middle has been locked down since Bobby left, the team is very vulnerable up the gut. Or at least it seems that way. I may be demanding perfection though and just spoiled over the past year or so.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I hate to sound doom and gloom, but this is a boon for Oakland. Their running game has been struggling to get on track, and their QB is just the kind of patient and efficient QB to keep taking advantage of underneath stuff. Brock Coyle playing LB will turn both those points into strengths for their offense.

pehawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23o23zgr said:
I hate to sound doom and gloom

Since when?

Agree, and kind of disagree. I still don't think that Raiders run game is strong enough to take advantage of Coyle. And, if we're honest, Davis exploited the middle by dink n dunking without Coyle there. So, that's a wash.

Carr scares me more for his football IQ matched with his arm. He knew EXACTLY how and where to attack the Seahawks secondary downfield. A lot of QB's do, but they just don't have the size and strength to do it. He does.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Ken Norton's comment ("He can mess it up by a bad week and change our mind”) was great. He isn't about coddling rookies and I like the high standard set regardless if a player is a UDFA rookie.

I agree with most here. Coyle is pretty good to have as our 6th best LB, however starting our 6th best LB at mike against the Raiders is a weak spot that the other areas of the team will have to compensate for. The Raiders are in the top few teams in pass protection and have the highest pass/run ratio in the league but a very low YPA. Lots of opportunities for our LB group to make plays in pass coverage.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Sweet! I am so excited to see what this kid can do starting. Glad he got a chance.

It's nice to cheer for him instead of watching him blast my team.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well.

- bsd

Latest posts