Brian Schottenheimer

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
He may not be the sexiest pick, but if Schotty comes here and delivers an offense that can run the ball consistently, that's all I care about. Without a solid running game Pete's system doesn't work.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2562idca said:
MontanaHawk05":2562idca said:
Bobblehead":2562idca said:
Doesn't matter who we hire, nothing will change unless we get better blocking and better execution.

Doesn't matter who we hire, everything will change if we get better blocking and better execution.

It's pretty telling that our hope is pinned to this, rather than to Brian Schottenheimer.

I dunno. I have no choice but to give him a shot. But I really wanted an innovator.

It's why, though Bevel was frustrating, it was hard for me to place a lot of blame on him. You can have the greatest game plan, but, if your pawns break down, you'r not going to be successful.
Pete is not gonna want a flashy, innovative coordinator.

Pete is about establishing a run game.

It'll be a good move if Seattle can start running the ball effectively and consistently.

Rainger

Reaction score
getnasty":12fehrs6 said:
Down Under Hawk":12fehrs6 said:
getnasty":12fehrs6 said:
Hard to get excited about this, my buddy is a Georgia fan and claims he was bad there too. Finished in the bottom half of offenses 7 of 8 seasons in the NFL. That's bullshit

This thread is exactly the same negative nelly shit that was espoused on .NET when PC was hired. I am having deja vue all over again.

Give the guy a chance. The bigger issue will be getting some bodies for the O line and a Oline coach that actually gets them blocking. I think people will be pleasently surprised bu Schotts.

The team no longer has 2 people running the O and will now have one clear focus and direction that is much more of a change up O than 3 play DB could ever do.

Oh I'm gonna give him a chance but if you think this hire is anything other then underwhelming your lying to yourself.
No, that was my initial reaction as well. But I would rather approach the next season and the world as "a glass half full" kinda guy rather than be chicken little.

I have done enough study since I read the news to see that not all the stats and comments regarding him are as they seem. A large part of his past performance was out of his control and he did the best he had with a bad lot. (worse than this team).

I could be proven wrong, but I want to believe that there will be an improvement over DB. I was able to call every play DB would call before he called it. I would sit here with my son and predict every call with 90% accruacy. If I could do it so could the other teams DC.

This will be better regardless if he is underwhelming to you. Lets approach the season with a good attitude for a positive change. (and some Oline help and coaching).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35jmn82r said:
Bobblehead":35jmn82r said:
Doesn't matter who we hire, nothing will change unless we get better blocking and better execution.

Doesn't matter who we hire, everything will change if we get better blocking and better execution.

It's pretty telling that our hope is pinned to this, rather than to Brian Schottenheimer.

I dunno. I have no choice but to give him a shot. But I really wanted an innovator.
I think that would have been most of our first choices, but that ain’t happening under Pete.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I want the guy who is supposedly good who coaches Carson Wentz.

/s

You can be flashy in the run game too. Is he innovative there? Does he actually pull and trap and misdirect and use FB?

HoldYourHawk

Reaction score
I'm excited about this hire. Look, Russell Wilson is an elite talent, who even with a terrible offensive line made Darrell Bevell look average. I look forward to what a new coordinator and new o-line coach, whoever that may be, can do with this offense. To me anything new is better than what we had and knew wasn't working.

MrThortan

Reaction score
What! No Chip Kelly makeover!?! Not the flashiest of hires, but it makes sense I guess. Going to be what, four years since he has been an OC? I can see Pete placing an emphasis on a coach he thinks can bring Russ to the next level and fix some of the bad habits he has developed. Looks like Pete went with someone with experience over another that has more unknown variables. As long as the guy is willing to work his ass off I am good with it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1qg78nud said:
MontanaHawk05":1qg78nud said:
Bobblehead":1qg78nud said:

It's why, though Bevel was frustrating, it was hard for me to place a lot of blame on him. You can have the greatest game plan, but, if your pawns break down, you'r not going to be successful.

I placed blame everywhere. Wilson, his receivers, his line, the TE corps, Lockett, Cable, Bevell, AND Pete. The entire offense was dysfunctional.

Bevell was the easiest element to replace (at least in most fans' minds), so he got scapegoated the most. But I did think that he was legitimately part of the problem, not because he was bad but because he was too traditional and predictable. Wilson is a short-stature QB who needs some creativity in the passing game. Bevell wasn't going to provide that.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Can't judge him until we see what happens. It's hard to imagine anything getting worse. We haven't scored offensively in the first half of a game in the last 5 seasons. It would be shocking if the offense took a step backwards considering how completely inept and ineffective last season was. We basically had no offense. Anything will be an improvement over that.

I'm willing to bet we see an improvement. Last season was the worst Seahawks offense I've ever seen and I had season tickets in 92 (which was probably second worst).

jake206

Reaction score
I wonder if the whole Peyton Manning fiasco played apart in trying to find an OC quickly. I realize Manning was a player, but still must have left an impression about wooing a high profile personnel. No guarantees, Defillippo would have chosen Seattle. Now they need to fill out the rest of the staff.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Well im glad Steve Sarkisan isn't our new OC. He blew it for Atlanta. They were inside the 10, first down. TD wins the game. 2 timeouts. They don't run the ball once. On 4th down he calls a QB roll out.

nanomoz

Reaction score
FidelisHawk":q4xugukk said:
nanomoz":q4xugukk said:
I hope he's actually given a chance to implement his own vision, not Carroll/Bevel redux. A subordinate subordinate is exactly what Pete doesn't need.

It makes absolutely zero sense to have your OC and HC with different visions on how the offense should be run.

If you want a different vision you change the Head Coach.

It seems you're unable to see anything beyond rigid hierarchy.

Plenty of offensive coordinators are given the chance to actually design and run the offense. Especially when the head coach is more of a defensive guy. I'd like to see Pete actually give an offensive mind a chance to design some. The "box" Pete gives them needs to be a bit bigger, or I think we'll see more of the same. I don't want more of the same.

sdog1981

Reaction score
He is the exact same as Bevell horrible on third down and horrible in the red zone. When Schottenheimer was below-average with the Jets he had Bill Callahan as his Oline coach. Bill Callahan is one of the best line coaches in football over the past 20 years Having built the Redskins, Cowboys, Jets and Raiders Olines in the last 10 years alone. Schot will look good from the simple fact that the team will have a competent line coach for the first time in a decade.

Like Bevell, I will give him 3 years to get his system working with the best QB he has ever worked with.

jake206

Reaction score
TBH, if Pete has another mediocre year even with new coaches, his seat will start getting warm. Betting Paul Allen will be watching this next year closely.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":3vx6iom9 said:
Either Pete truly is addled and made a rash decision, or he got exactly the guy he wanted. I'm guessing the latter.

Pete's decisions don't always line up with whats best for the organization, he wants to win his way, not the easiest way possible. Pete has always had an ego even in his days with USC, so this isn't surprising.

He wants to run the ball and play good defense, which means we can let Graham go and focus solely on the O-line and RB's from here on out.

However, as I said earlier we need to give him a chance before we write Schotty off.

I don't think this will be Russell's last head coach either, I think he gets another shot with someone after him.

I'm not of the opinion we can't win another SB with Pete and whoever he hires on. Just have to have more creativity.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I wonder if he will be given the Assistant HC title. If not him, then who will it be?

getnasty

Reaction score
Down Under Hawk":rdvtabr1 said:
For all you negative nellys at least they didn't wait and hire Sarkisian!!! :irishdrinkers:

Scary thing is Sarks resume us much better then Shottys

sdog1981

Reaction score
getnasty":g1t737rn said:
Down Under Hawk":g1t737rn said:
For all you negative nellys at least they didn't wait and hire Sarkisian!!! :irishdrinkers:

Scary thing is Sarks resume us much better then Shottys

Not really Sark shot up to head coach fast 2009-2015 he did not spend decades running offenses as an OC. This season was his first as an NFL OC.

getnasty

Reaction score
Who knows how it turns out but what would make Pete even consider him for the job?

Latest posts