Brian Schottenheimer

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anajimmc":9uqewpy8 said:
Sgt. Largent":9uqewpy8 said:
MontanaHawk05":9uqewpy8 said:
Although Schotty's history is as a zone guy (trying to find where I read that), if he can quickly install a strong run game, a lot of things are going to take care of themselves, like Sgt. said. I think that's the biggest thing for us to hang our hats on right now.

Right, a big factor in all this that we're really not talking about yet is chemistry between Pete, Brian and whoever the O-line coach will be.

So it's more than just looking at this in the vacuum of wanting some sexy innovative wunderkind, or O-Coordinator that might clash with Pete and not get the best out of Russell.

I think we found out this year that Russell throwing it 40 times a game getting hammered and running for his life might not be the best way to go. So maybe circling the wagons on the run game and getting Schottenheimer in here to help fix that might not be such a bad thing.

Again, NOT very excited about this hire right now. But if Brian can help fix the run game and get us back to pounding the rock successfully opening up Russell's awesome play action explosive plays game? I'm down for that.
Hawks would still be playing with a league average O-Line.

Like 2013?

Anajimmc

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":p77w4e78 said:
Anajimmc":p77w4e78 said:
Sgt. Largent":p77w4e78 said:
MontanaHawk05":p77w4e78 said:
Although Schotty's history is as a zone guy (trying to find where I read that), if he can quickly install a strong run game, a lot of things are going to take care of themselves, like Sgt. said. I think that's the biggest thing for us to hang our hats on right now.

Right, a big factor in all this that we're really not talking about yet is chemistry between Pete, Brian and whoever the O-line coach will be.

So it's more than just looking at this in the vacuum of wanting some sexy innovative wunderkind, or O-Coordinator that might clash with Pete and not get the best out of Russell.

I think we found out this year that Russell throwing it 40 times a game getting hammered and running for his life might not be the best way to go. So maybe circling the wagons on the run game and getting Schottenheimer in here to help fix that might not be such a bad thing.

Again, NOT very excited about this hire right now. But if Brian can help fix the run game and get us back to pounding the rock successfully opening up Russell's awesome play action explosive plays game? I'm down for that.
Hawks would still be playing with a league average O-Line.

Like 2013?
EXACTLY!!! and I'd be having another awesome winter.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He loves utilizing the running backs out of the backfield which I think once Russ gets comfortable with will help him and the offense a ton. We see it with Brady, Rogers, Brees etc. its something that's a part of all of their games. A guy like Prosise if he can stay healthy(I know) would be a huge weapon in his offense.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Was a bit neutral when this news first broke out, but as time has passed I am getting less optimistic about this hire. Got to give him a chance of course; not really much choice there. Going to keep my expectations simple and hope he works hard and gets the offense to execute. Like to see cleaner football next year.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
In many respects, the Seahawks’ Pete Carroll is one of the league’s most forward-thinking coaches.

He doesn’t coach through anger or intimidation. He’s open to new approaches and ideas in everything from motivation to nutrition and sports science, and he’s willing to take risks and chances when it comes to managing a football game.

But he’s pretty old-fashioned when it comes to the template and style he wants his team to play. His defenses are not blitz-happy. His offense needs to be based on the run game, and not just any kind of run game – a physical run game. He wants to be the hammer when his team has the ball.

So maybe it shouldn’t surprise anyone that his hire as Seahawks offensive coordinator isn’t exactly considered New Age. That’s first among the list of things we learned this weekend:

Stuff we learned

1. Pete Carroll made the least exciting hire possible at offensive coordinator.

Brian Schottenheimer comes from a football lineage known for relatively antiquated ideas about offense. His father was Marty, a long-time NFL head coach whose idea of an innovative offense was play-action pass. Brian’s most success as an offensive coordinator came with the Jets, who made back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances with an offense that preferred to hand the ball off to running backs, or in lieu of that throw passes to the running backs. The fact that ProFootballTalk had posted a “maybe-could thumbsucker” of an article [1] that the Seahawks would be hiring a college guru made all this even funnier. For all the options out there, Seattle made perhaps the least exciting hire possible, which doesn’t mean it’s bad. In fact, it’s probably a pretty good sign because Pete Carroll doesn’t want an exciting, new-fangled offense. He wants a physical, run-based offense.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/393895/wh ... -possible/

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":1t1pqo87 said:
Sgt. Largent":1t1pqo87 said:
Rex Ryan was just on Brock and Salk this morning to talk about Schottenheimer, he was Rex's OC in NY..............and the one thing that stuck out about what Rex said about him was he's "loyal."

So that makes perfect sense, Pete went from one yes man to another, an OC that won't question or challenge Pete on how to run his offense.

I'll give Brian a chance, cause I need to see how the offense looks before taking a dump on it. But my first impression of this hire is meh, a retread coordinator that Pete hired because he's a yes man that'll run things how Pete wants things run............and not someone with any innovation.

Yep. ;)

Puppet

So many negative assumptions . . . before he has even called a single play for the Seahawks. That's pathetic, IMO.

sdog1981

Reaction score
I get that Pete wants a pound the rock offense. Then why not hire Greg Roman? He has the same ideas that Shotty dose and he actually has done creative things in the running game. This team doesn't have 2 all-pro linemen on it and this Oline is not coached by Bill Callahan so I really don't see the things that Shotty needs to be here on this team or coaching staff.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Stuff we learned

2. Mark Sanchez isn’t the quarterback you should most associate with Brian Schottenheimer.

Drew Brees is. Schottenheimer was the Chargers’ quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2005, which were Brees’ first four years as a starter in the NFL. And in that time, Brees went from a second-round pick in 2001 who sat behind Doug Flutie to someone the Chargers stuck with for two seasons ahead of Philip Rivers, who was drafted No. 4 overall in 2004. Schottenheimer became the Jets’ offensive coordinator at age 33, a position he held through two different head coaches. Now getting his third crack at running an NFL offense, Schottenheimer is going to have the best quarterback he’s had since those four years with Brees back in San Diego.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3si7vc9r said:
Stuff we learned

2. Mark Sanchez isn’t the quarterback you should most associate with Brian Schottenheimer.

Drew Brees is. Schottenheimer was the Chargers’ quarterbacks coach from 2002 to 2005, which were Brees’ first four years as a starter in the NFL. And in that time, Brees went from a second-round pick in 2001 who sat behind Doug Flutie to someone the Chargers stuck with for two seasons ahead of Philip Rivers, who was drafted No. 4 overall in 2004. Schottenheimer became the Jets’ offensive coordinator at age 33, a position he held through two different head coaches. Now getting his third crack at running an NFL offense, Schottenheimer is going to have the best quarterback he’s had since those four years with Brees back in San Diego.

What Brian did with Andrew Luck just reinforces the fact that he is somewhat of a proven QB guru.

To be at his best, Russell Wilson needs a balanced rushing attack. Let's see if Brian can help provide that.

When the defense is unaware of where receivers will line up after shifts or where the run is going, it makes an offense much more difficult to stop. Bevell had little to no understanding of how to accomplish this. He made things so much more difficult on Russell with empty backfield sets on first downs, using out best receiver as a (poor) in-line blocker, not exploiting the short passing game, too many long-developing go routes, his constant predictability, etc.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/southpaw_75/status/953003051589226497[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dannyoneil/status/953005944631304192[/tweet]

:les:

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the idea of the Hawks changing their mind on a hire, even one I dislike as much as Schottenheimer, based on crazed fans on twitter.

pugs1

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2ozrdvez said:
Stuff we learned

You know who else was successful getting his third crack in the NFL? Totally possible Pete sees himself in Schottenhimer or at least knows because someone didn’t succeed in their previous two stints as an OC. Doesn’t mean they can’t learn from mistakes and get the job done.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/952990740275085312[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CHawk_Talk/status/953006913268011008[/tweet]

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So do we suppose this person will consistently call an empty backfield formation with 4 wideouts, lined up in tandem pairs on each side, each running a long slow route, with a horrible o-line that can't give 1.2 seconds of time to the QB, on 3rd-and-2 from our own 5 yard line, almost every time? If not, then this new person will be an improvement.

chris98251

Reaction score
Another thing that many of us were screaming about, screens and check downs. This confirms it, Davis played for Schotty so I am pretty sure this is a valid point.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
Seymour":w9u8h0er said:
The_Z_Man":w9u8h0er said:
I just think we hired the exact same guy we fired.

I've said my piece on it.

Now we'll wait to see how it pans out, but let me just say that I'll be happy as hell to lose this argument.

Being wrong in this instance would be fabulous.

No we didn't. The guy we fired required Cable to be here and involved as run game coordinator. That dysfunctional disconnect is now gone. If nothing else we traded a 2 headed monster for a single headed monster.
Just love your logic Seymour,hopefully we hire some heads that aren't monster.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":163k0t9x said:

That's going to require dramatically improved talent at both OL and TE.

I often wonder if the reason we ran so few screens is because we knew we didn't have the talent to pull them off. A failed screen is often a loss of yardage.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":184e9wzf said:

I thought all of the plays were screens this season! The linemen released on every play.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sox-n-Hawks":1moc32dt said:
KitsapGuy":1moc32dt said:

I thought all of the plays were screens this season! The linemen released on every play.

Your confusing release with false starts :)