Bobby Slowik

chris98251

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just that from what I recall, guys like Slowik tend to flame out more often than not. Shanny and McVay are the exceptions to the rule.

Teams often miss on several coaches before hitting on one. The SF 49ers for example, have had several coaches since Walsh that didn't pan out. Only two have, Harbaugh and Shanny.

Seattle had Flores, Dennis Erikson (SF too), before they hit on Holmy, missed on Mora and hit on PC. We've been lucky to have a successful coach for 14 years. It was time but just purely from an odds perspective, it's more likely we miss on this next one, than hit on it.

Not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
We also had Chuck Knox.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just that from what I recall, guys like Slowik tend to flame out more often than not. Shanny and McVay are the exceptions to the rule.

Teams often miss on several coaches before hitting on one. The SF 49ers for example, have had several coaches since Walsh that didn't pan out. Only two have, Harbaugh and Shanny.

Seattle had Flores, Dennis Erikson (SF too), before they hit on Holmy, missed on Mora and hit on PC. We've been lucky to have a successful coach for 14 years. It was time but just purely from an odds perspective, it's more likely we miss on this next one, than hit on it.

Great points. Not sure what Welshers bellyaching about.

No need to accuse people of lying and ask for evidence without providing any yourself.

McVay and Shanny have been around football forever. McVay can recall plays from years ago, he's scary smart, should have gone in to Physics.

Head coaching in the NFL takes a lot of experience, self confidence, and the ability to inspire it in others. So it's rare that a young, inexperienced Coordinator is ready to take over a team.

keasley45

Reaction score
The skills and abilities required to be a HC are vastly different and considerably more involved than those required to be a coordinator. It's why more often than not, shiny new coordinators fail when tapped to get the big gig.

The performance of their group alone can't be the only measure, and counting the success of guys like Shannahan and McVay isn't wise, given they are overwhelmingly the exception and not the rule.

Doesn't mean going the young coordinator route can't work. But whoever it is has to have exhibited pretty significant leadership ability... like off the charts leadership, .... gravitas... something that would indicate the candidate woukdnt wilt under the pressure of going from a fairly small list of responsibilities in managing 22 men and assuming the responsibilities of running a team of 53, overseeing all position groups, balancing personalities, etc.etc.etc.etc.

getnasty

Reaction score

I could be wrong but Seifert won at least 1 Suoerbowl and Mariucci was pretty good too right.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
I could be wrong but Seifert won at least 1 Suoerbowl and Mariucci was pretty good too right.

Yeah Seifert was a half way decent coach, but you can put him in the same box as Gruden, who won a superb owl with someone else's team (Gruden with Dungy's team). Ditto for Switzer who won with Jimmy Johnson's teams, although Switzer I believe, had been a college coach previous to his Cowboys stint.

Mooch wasn't a bad coach I agree. I was always a little perplexed that he never coached again. Perhaps he just wasn't a good HC, or he didn't want to do it anymore.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
I say we pass on this guy. If we are going young I would prefer Detroits OC or the Ravens DC.
Just out of curiosity are we wanting the Ravens DC after 1 year & not Wink Martindale who's defense they are running & is available.

Chapow

Reaction score
Slowik just hung 24 points and 280 yards of offense in the first half against the best defense in the league.

I think Stroud may have had a little something to do with that as well.

Not trying to diminish what Slowik has done with that offense this season, but the reality is that it appears Carolina took the wrong QB, which was very fortunate for Houston. If Carolina had taken Stroud instead of Young, nobody would be talking about Slowik, imo. Instead, we'd probably be talking about what a great job the Carolina OC did with a rookie QB.

Point being, Houston's success this season probably has more to do with Stroud than with Slowik. That doesn't mean Slowik isn't a good coach, but it sure helps when you have a rookie QB playing like one of the best QB's in the league.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity are we wanting the Ravens DC after 1 year & not Wink Martindale who's defense they are running & is available.
This is why I prefer him. 1 year as NFL Dc,but was Michigan's DC last year and has coached his whole career on the Defensive side of the ball. From every level so he IMO has the knowledge of a true Defensive guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240114_103319_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240114_103319_Chrome.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think Stroud may have had a little something to do with that as well.

Not trying to diminish what Slowik has done with that offense this season, but the reality is that it appears Carolina took the wrong QB, which was very fortunate for Houston. If Carolina had taken Stroud instead of Young, nobody would be talking about Slowik, imo. Instead, we'd probably be talking about what a great job the Carolina OC did with a rookie QB.

Point being, Houston's success this season probably has more to do with Stroud than with Slowik. That doesn't mean Slowik isn't a good coach, but it sure helps when you have a rookie QB playing like one of the best QB's in the league.
It’s hard to know how much is him or Stroud, but I do know this. Stroud was basically a top 5 QB this year, you can argue that he was the best. Nico Collins had a career season going over 1200 yards. There other WR, Tank Dell, was on pace to go over 1000 yards until he got hurt.

I really do think Slowik is a big reason for all their offensive guys having career seasons.

My main argument for taking Slowik is who he learned from. He learned from both Mike and Kyle Shanahan.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Go get this guy. Comes from the Mike Shanahan coaching tree. This photo alone should sell you on him. Oh, and all he did was become the OC of the Texans and made them one of the best offenses in the league.

View attachment 63194
I don't hate it

the browns oline was largely responsible for the loss in the bit i watched - but i don't hate this

Ozzy

Reaction score
A film guy said Slowick does some really cool stuff scheme wise so while obviously Stroud helps Slowick is putting stuff on tape that is pretty cool.

James in PA

Reaction score
So far MacDonald is winning the matchup, but it's still early.

CactusJack

Reaction score
So far MacDonald is winning the matchup, but it's still early.
Macdonald will win the matchup. That team is a buzzsaw.

But I'd still take Slowik because having an offensive HC is such an advantage. Especially one that is a good play caller.

IF you hire a DC, then you have to worry about who the OC would be. Then that OC would get hired almost immediately.