Blair Walsh cost Russ the MVP

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep. Truth is Truth. You have to play lights out football all year and not fade at the end of the year statistically no matter the cause. Russell was tremendous when considering the percentage he accounted for in our scoring this year. Historic in fact. But at the end of the day, MVP is given to the player that captures everyone's attention through consistency and excellence for the entire season.

Russ will be MVP one day. It's in his DNA. It's truly not a matter of if, but when.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Jville":1pwjoggl said:
LOL ....... the old useless blame game trap.

I'm a big special teams fan. :177692: But there is no way kickers wheel that kind of make or break power and influence over quarterbacks.
If he's not going to help run the score up, then why even have a damned kicker.
As everyone on the team is in the same boat, everyone should be manning an oar, it ain't a free ride.
Want to wager that he isn't with the Seahawks next season?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Well the one against the Falcons was no gimme. 52 yards isn't automatic for guys not named Justin Tucker. Even if he made the Washington ones and we take that game, he still missed the AZ one and we miss the playoffs anyway. No way Russ was winning MVP if we didn't make it to the postseason.

That being said, blaming this awful season on Walsh is too simplistic. Pretty much everyone except maybe Baldwin on offense was bad down the stretch to varying degrees. You can't look at tape from the home game vs. the Rams and say you were watching an MVP. The fact that we had offensive performances like that @GB, @DAL, most of @JAX, @LA, and most of the home games vs. the Niners and Skins (cards too tbh) really hurt him. He was definitely a part of that but damn, looking back on it, our offense was boom or bust this year from protection, playcalling, accuracy, the whole deal. I can't believe his completion percentage was 61.3. Those are SCam numbers. What a shitty season.

original poster

Reaction score
Aros":3rvhymbn said:
Russ will be MVP one day. It's in his DNA. It's truly not a matter of if, but when.

Love the optimism! Lets hope its next season :2thumbs:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don't think he was truly ever in the real long term discussion for MVP.

RW had a good season but he was unable to elevate his game to carry a team with critical flaws of a weak OLine and a non-existent running game.

Walsh cost the team 2 games but I doubt he was responsible for cost RW the MVP.

Adding Walsh was a personnel error, hopefully the team can find a reliable kicker this coming season.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
1. Play calling
2. Offensive line
3. Lack of running game (due, in part, to #1 and #2)
4. Aaron Donald
5. Five missed field goals in losses to Washington, Atlanta, and Arizona

It's not inevitable that a better field goal kicker, i.e. Stephen Hauschka, would have made those kicks. But hypothetically, let's just say the Seahawks win all three of those games. That would mean they would have finished with a 12-4 record, #1 in the NFC West, 3rd seed in the NFC, with a 14-point win over #1 seed Philadelphia on their resume.

In that situation, a Brady vs. Wilson MVP race would have been at least interesting. Brady led the NFL in yards. Wilson led the NFL in passing TDs and total TDs and finished #2 behind Brady in total yards. Wilson also set NFL records for most 4th quarter TD passes and highest percentage of contribution to a team's yardage and scoring. Brady is the "most hated" QB in the league. Wilson is generally liked and has never won an MVP award. It would have been a tossup, IMO.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":3mogvyeq said:
blaming this awful season on Walsh is too simplistic.
I'm not complaining about Wilson NOT winning the MVP, nor am I blaming Walsh for anything other than NOT carrying his share of the blame for those losses.
There were just too many whiffs & shanks & pulls on his part.
I don't believe that the Vikings are sorry that they axed him at the end of the 2016 season, or that the Seahawks were silly enough to take a chance on another of their cast-off players.

adeltaY

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1b16hyod said:
adeltaY":1b16hyod said:
blaming this awful season on Walsh is too simplistic.
I'm not complaining about Wilson NOT winning the MVP, nor am I blaming Walsh for anything other than NOT carrying his share of the blame for those losses.
There were just too many whiffs & shanks & pulls on his part.
I don't believe that the Vikings are sorry that they axed him at the end of the 2016 season, or that the Seahawks were silly enough to take a chance on another of their cast-off players.

Can't disagree with any of your points here. :2thumbs:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
hawknation2018":21pdji85 said:
1. Play calling
2. Offensive line
4. Aaron Donald

It's not inevitable that a better field goal kicker, i.e. Stephen Hauschka, would have made those kicks. But hypothetically, let's just say the Seahawks win all three of those games. That would mean they would have finished with a 12-4 record, #1 in the NFC West, 3rd seed in the NFC, with a 14-point win over #1 seed Philadelphia on their resume.

In that situation, a Brady vs. Wilson MVP race would have been at least interesting. Brady led the NFL in yards. Wilson led the NFL in passing TDs and total TDs and finished #2 behind Brady in total yards. Wilson also set NFL records for most 4th quarter TD passes and highest percentage of contribution to a team's yardage and scoring. Brady is the "most hated" QB in the league. Wilson is generally liked and has never won an MVP award. It would have been a tossup, IMO.
It wouldn't have been a toss up, Brady still would have won it hands down. If we just change the field goal variable it does not change the fact that Wilson was clearly struggling in December. If the season ended in October, yeah, I don't think it would have been a question. Unfortunately, after the Philly game, Russell Wilson was very streaky.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2bzpkzy7 said:
hawknation2018":2bzpkzy7 said:
1. Play calling
2. Offensive line
4. Aaron Donald

It wouldn't have been a toss up, Brady still would have won it hands down. If we just change the field goal variable it does not change the fact that Wilson was clearly struggling in December. If the season ended in October, yeah, I don't think it would have been a question. Unfortunately, after the Philly game, Russell Wilson was very streaky.

Except, Brady also had a "very streaky" December. Brady's 59.5 QB rating against Miami on 12/11 was worse than any game Wilson played last season. Brady's QB rating in four of five December games was under 88.

Wilson had a QB rating of 107+ in three of five December games (118.6 against Philadelphia, 108.5 against Arizona, and 107.8 at Dallas). Brady had none such games in December.

Brady threw just six TD passes in December against five INTs. Whereas, Wilson had 11 TD passes and just three INTs during that same time period.

Brady's December QB rating: 81.6 (with 6 TDs, 5 INTs)
Wilson's December QB rating: 95.8 (with 11 TDs, 3 INTs)

OP
OP
R

randomation

Reaction score
You people are absurd he led the league in TD passes was second in yards believe top 5 in rating led the team in rushing yards account for 85% of the offense and 37 of 38 offensive scores, and all you can do is try to claim he was bad for some absurd reason just why. If we have two more wins we make the playoffs and he wins the MVP over Brady. Would also have helped to not get blown out by the Rams but when Donald is in your lap by the time you come out of a fake not much that can be done as a QB.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
randomation":1xs4ah28 said:
If we have two more wins we make the playoffs and he wins the MVP over Brady.

QB.

But we didn’t.

OP
OP
R

randomation

Reaction score
If Blair Walsh could do the bare minimum expected of an NFL kicker we would have is the point.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
These speculative threads are always funny and never ending.

I actually think that RW was only in the MVP conversation due to the ineptitude of our coaching staff of putting the entire game plan on him. How everyone else doesn’t understand that the NFL world was basically laughing at us each time they explained why RW was MVP worthy is beyond me, but I guess people see what their eyes will only allow them to see.

He had absolutely no support on the field, and had to scramble for his life almost every play in order to keep a drive alive.

Had PC done his job, RW wouldn’t have been in the MVP talks at all. Or at least would have been in the conversation due to not being the only bright spot on an otherwise disaster of a team last season.