Blaine Gabbert

rideaducati

Reaction score
huskylawyer":phizl6an said:
Bob loblaw":phizl6an said:
Gabbert will be fine, new offense, first time playing with rec, who also did him no favors. Like Harbs said, he got them in an out of the huddle smoothly, has a decent grasp on the playbook. I wouldnt put to much stock in the first pre game. Blaine has a ways to go but he will be ok. Smith had the same problems when Harbaugh was overhauling him.

GAbbert is what he is. There is a reason he was out of Jacksonville after 3 years, despite being a high draft pick. And getting the offence "in and out of the huddle smoothly" isn't what I would call a glowing endorsement, considering H.S. QBs can do that.

On his Int, he literally stared the WR down from snap to INT. I he is still doing that after being in the League for 3 years, I doubt he is going to change.

Kaepernick does the same thing, maybe Hairball teaches his QBs to do that.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3omp5s4y said:
loafoftatupu":3omp5s4y said:
I wouldn't throw in the towel on Gabbert yet, Harbs knows QBSpeak probably better than anyone, the sample size isn't big enough for anyone yet.

True, but Harbough also churns through QBs pretty quickly to find his guys. With Colt last year they made him renegotiate his salary down to stay on the team after he stunk it up (and Johnson outplayed him anyway), but the problem with Gabs is his two mil is guaranteed so they wouldn't have any leverage.

It's a dumb preseason game, but Gabs' performance also wasn't some weird outlier: so far he looks exactly as we know him to be. FWIW I think the 9ers could go 8-8 or 9-7 with Josh Johnson, with Gabs or McCoy last year I think they're in the 6-10 range.

Good point Popeye. I hear that. In fact I wouldn't expect any different from PC. I just can't believe how stale he became. Like it is too early.

heh.. maybe he will be one of those guys that makes a revival in year 10. :mrgreen:

Marvin49

Reaction score
I haven't given up on Gabbert as a serviceable backup, but it is kinda disturbing that I saw EXACTLY the same problems in his play that he displayed before.

He has looked good in camp, but he doesn't get pressure in his face in camp. He knows he's not gonna get hit.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
How is SF's cap situation? Can they afford to cut Gabbert and eat $2 million if needs be?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":31xmy8u5 said:
How is SF's cap situation? Can they afford to cut Gabbert and eat $2 million if needs be?

About 10 mil under...so yeah, but they like to go into the season with space, they need to extend Boone, and they would like to resign a guy or 2 before the season starts (Crab, Iupati).

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I wont disagree with the assesment on Gabbert. Like many top picks he was on one of the worst franchises in History. I dont care how good Bradley is as a coach. First Gab wasnt his choice and second hes a Defensive guy. I ll let it play out, they say he has been great in camp and smart as a whip in the meeting room. Its different with live bullets but let him develop an rid some of the Jacksonville bad habits. He is still really young and has time to develop. There is definitely going to be some bumps and bruises along the way

Marvin49

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":38bwn1dj said:
I wont disagree with the assesment on Gabbert. Like many top picks he was on one of the worst franchises in History. I dont care how good Bradley is as a coach. First Gab wasnt his choice and second hes a Defensive guy. I ll let it play out, they say he has been great in camp and smart as a whip in the meeting room. Its different with live bullets but let him develop an rid some of the Jacksonville bad habits. He is still really young and has time to develop. There is definitely going to be some bumps and bruises along the way

I hear what you are saying...

...but he's always been good in the meeting room. He's always been good in camp. The real bullets aren't flying in camp and he's not worried about getting hit.

His problems are when he gets any kind of pressure he completely folds. That was the criticism of him in Jacksonville and that's exactly what happened to him on Thurs.

I'm not writing him off yet, but when he is exhibiting the exact same flaw that caused his original team to abandon him, I'm not real confident it can be coached out of him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2z7ab2sz said:
Bob loblaw":2z7ab2sz said:

...but he's always been good in the meeting room. He's always been good in camp. The real bullets aren't flying in camp and he's not worried about getting hit.

His problems are when he gets any kind of pressure he completely folds. That was the criticism of him in Jacksonville and that's exactly what happened to him on Thurs.

I'm not writing him off yet, but when he is exhibiting the exact same flaw that caused his original team to abandon him, I'm not real confident it can be coached out of him.

Gabbert is just like Kaepernick except he can't run.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Eh, most backup quarterbacks suck. Bad. Hell, a good handful of starters in the league suck. It's rare to have a top-tier quarterback starting, let alone a very serviceable one for a backup.

Hmm... maybe Pryor will be worth something higher than a seventh round pick in a few weeks.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3uysiehl said:
Eh, most backup quarterbacks suck. Bad. Hell, a good handful of starters in the league suck. It's rare to have a top-tier quarterback starting, let alone a very serviceable one for a backup.

Hmm... maybe Pryor will be worth something higher than a seventh round pick in a few weeks.
QFT.

It is a rare situation when a backup can actually carry a team for any extended time. In the Hawks case, we have an exceptional backup that was our starter and has started many games. If a backup is that good, he will become capital at contract time.

For teams like the Niners and Seahawks, there is actually a chance at maintaining a fairly good level of play because of the run game. But in most cases the backup is every bit the backup he should be.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3f0q783v said:
Marvin49":3f0q783v said:
Bob loblaw":3f0q783v said:

Thank You Captain Consistent.

Kaep career QB rating: 93.8
Gabbert Career QB rating: 66.4

Yup. Same guy.

...and that's after a "down year" by Kap.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":pytvr41j said:
rideaducati":pytvr41j said:
Marvin49":pytvr41j said:
Bob loblaw":pytvr41j said:

Yup. Same guy.

QB rating takes sacks and runs into consideration. They are very similar in their "one read and panic" tendencies. The difference between them is that one of them runs with the ball and the other throws it up for grabs.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I find it interesting you guys keep saying Kaep is just a running QB when Wilson had 4 more rushing attempts than Ck and Ck had 9 more passing attempts than RW.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":17dack97 said:
Marvin49":17dack97 said:
rideaducati":17dack97 said:
Marvin49":17dack97 said:

Yup. Same guy.

QB rating takes sacks and runs into consideration. They are very similar in their "one read and panic" tendencies. The difference between them is that one of them runs with the ball and the other throws it up for grabs.

No they don't. That's QBR.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Bob loblaw":r1bbtw0d said:
I find it interesting you guys keep saying Kaep is just a running QB when Wilson had 4 more rushing attempts than Ck and Ck had 9 more passing attempts than RW.

Wilson runs because the O-line doesn't protect him. Kaepernick runs because his first read isn't open. Kaepernick isn't just a running QB, he can hand the ball off pretty well too. If touch is needed on a Kaepernick pass, good luck. It's not that he can't pass, it's that he has zero touch. If he can't throw the ball 100 mph to his receiver it's a 50/50 proposition as to where the ball is gonna end up.

BHF

Reaction score
Marvin49":1b0ke8gh said:
Popeyejones":1b0ke8gh said:
^^^ it was happening through the A gaps, where Purcell and Borland were awful. Carradine and Dial had such high tackle numbers because they were breaking off and making those tackles 5 yards up field through the middle. Carradine has work to do as a run defender, but this year, he likely won't be in for too many run plays anyways (I'm guessing he'll be rotating in for McDonald on passing downs in the 2-4-5). They both held point of attack through the Bs & Cs pretty well (Dial in particular).

If there's things for 9ers fans to be concerned about coming away from this scrimmage, it's not Tank or Dial, IMO.

Correct.

If anything, Borlands play concerns me because they may need him with Bowman out. Not concerned at all with Dial or Carradine.

I was watching Borland because I felt that if he could play at even a mediocre level as a rook the Niner front seven would still be a scary unit. And I have to say, I would be very concerned as a Niner fan. He was just awful. I remember one play in particular when he stayed at home on a play action pass (good), and then, after two beats, ran to meet the RB In a pile up while the Raven QB scampered around untouched (very, very bad). Just baffling. Pee wee players don't show that kind of indecision.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BHF":39qbwlqf said:
Marvin49":39qbwlqf said:
Popeyejones":39qbwlqf said:
^^^ it was happening through the A gaps, where Purcell and Borland were awful. Carradine and Dial had such high tackle numbers because they were breaking off and making those tackles 5 yards up field through the middle. Carradine has work to do as a run defender, but this year, he likely won't be in for too many run plays anyways (I'm guessing he'll be rotating in for McDonald on passing downs in the 2-4-5). They both held point of attack through the Bs & Cs pretty well (Dial in particular).

If there's things for 9ers fans to be concerned about coming away from this scrimmage, it's not Tank or Dial, IMO.

Correct.

If anything, Borlands play concerns me because they may need him with Bowman out. Not concerned at all with Dial or Carradine.

I was watching Borland because I felt that if he could play at even a mediocre level as a rook the Niner front seven would still be a scary unit. And I have to say, I would be very concerned as a Niner fan. He was just awful. I remember one play in particular when he stayed at home on a play action pass (good), and then, after two beats, ran to meet the RB In a pile up while the Raven QB scampered around untouched (very, very bad). Just baffling. Pee wee players don't show that kind of indecision.

Not all that concerned.

Borland didn't play well, but I was never thinking he was going to start. I think Wilhoite will start there until Bowman gets back. He played well last year when Willis was out.

Gusbusser

Reaction score
As a Jag fan let me just say Gabbert is flat out straight booty. He has sucked in college and continued to do so in the NFL. There's a reason he began sliding down the board when Gene Smith traded up for him. All the intelligent GM's knew better. His stats were inflated from screens and short throws at Mizzou.

He's always been a great practice player. You watch him in practice and think he's the next Aaron Rodgers. Take off that red shirt and it all crumbles. The man is just afraid of pressure. He will run out of a clean pocket into the face of oncoming pressure and run out of bounds yet still get hurt. He's made of glass. There would always be something wrong with him.

He would make one good throw every 5 or 6 games. I kid you not. What you saw of him at the helm of the Whiners offense is what we've dealt with for years. Despite Blackmon, Shorts, Marcedes, etc etc.