Bielema to Dolphins: Draft Wilson and We'll Win Super Bowl

DavidSeven

Reaction score
An interesting story from ESPN on why former Wisconsin HC Bret Bielema walked away from the Dolphins HC position in 2012:

[Bielema] is a day and a half into his meetings, and is mapping out his plans with the Dolphins' brass. He promises them a Super Bowl ring within five years if they pick (Russell) Wilson, his quarterback at Wisconsin, in the upcoming draft.

The idea of selecting a 5-10 quarterback in the second round, which is where Bielema thinks they need to, does not go over well. They think he's crazy.

"One hundred percent," Bielema says.

"They all looked at me like, 'You can't say that. That's the difference between college and pro. He's undersized. He can't throw.' I was like, 'OK, all right,' and I honestly, that day, kind of pulled myself out of it."

Bielema says he couldn't work for people he wasn't on the same page with.

Also, according to the Miami Herald, Brian Griese (local color commentator for Dolphins) begged everyone in the Dolphins building to draft Willson. "Griese told the Dolphins Wilson was, as one source put it, "far and away the second best quarterback prospect in the draft behind Andrew Luck.""

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Shows how wrong Griese and his source were . Wilson was by far the best QB prospect

kidhawk

Reaction score
One of my brothers is a Dolphins fan and a Russell Wilson fan.....I can't wait to ask him if he's read about this or not

Smellyman

Reaction score
That was a great article. Didn't think there could be new info on RW and the draft

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A friend of mine who loves the Phins called me today about this story. He had really bad stuff to say about Ireland after reading this story.

Bielema is one of my favorites to OC the Hawks someday.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3fld7gzj said:
A friend of mine who loves the Phins called me today about this story. He had really bad stuff to say about Ireland after reading this story.

Be still my heart. He's perfect. So perfect I'm angry I didn't think of it.

ARhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3vyru97j said:
Scottemojo":3vyru97j said:

Be still my heart. He's perfect. So perfect I'm angry I didn't think of it.
I can see why you would think that, but he's never been an offensive coach. He always coached defense before he became a head coach.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I wish ESPN would replace Blount with Elizabeth. She always does a great job.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
This article just reinforces the fact that the Executive of the Year voting is a joke. John Schneider not winning it yet is pathetic.

ivotuk

Reaction score
-The Glove-":glm6cxxe said:
Shows how wrong Griese and his source were . Wilson was by far the best QB prospect

LOL! Leave it to a .NET poster to put the writer straight