Bevell Interviewed by Raiders

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":14oxs61w said:
Did any of you watch ADB's take on Bevell? He said Bevell covered many of our team's weaknesses; the players let him down..

I'd be curious to see how he works out with the Raiders.
I wouldn't read too much into what ADB, specifically, said about him.

Msfann

Reaction score
With the team winning I wish everyone could/would stay.

But that's not very realistic. I'm not going to worry about any of the rumors and just think about the rest of this year and whatever happens happens to the coaching staff happens.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":e2hs9pql said:
Ad Hawk":e2hs9pql said:
Did any of you watch ADB's take on Bevell? He said Bevell covered many of our team's weaknesses; the players let him down..

I wouldn't read too much into what ADB, specifically, said about him.

No, Roland, you wouldn't, I'm sure. :p

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2dopbqs3 said:
HawKnPeppa":2dopbqs3 said:
Ad Hawk":2dopbqs3 said:

Yeah, I found that one of the more interesting parts of his presser. He basically said that nobody on the outside realizes just how much Bevell does to mask our inefficacies on offense.

This might be correct. The problem is all around. For instance, if Russell misread a play then the play might be done. If an o-lineman miss an assignment or block, the play is done. If a WR ran the wrong route the play is done. I think that has been our thing. We got new guys/rookies coming in and they have to learn their position as well. If they make a mistake it looks bad on the offense. Even Russell was saying that the miscue is because the execution wasn't there. Everyone has to be almost perfect on every play or else some of the plays doesn't work.

But at the same time it doesn't excuse Bevell of some of the 3rd and 1 passing attempt, i rather have Will or Lynch gets that. Bevell does have some predictable play but we could also address those might be the low risk plays Pete wants.

Anyone know if Bevell runs more exotic plays when he was with the Vikings or did Favre just do his thing on the field?
Bevell has been one lucky OC to have inherited great players, future HOF QBs and RBs as well as good defenses both I'm Minny and Seattle. He and Favre are buddies from their Packer days when Bevell was an assistant to the QB. They are roughly the same age. He enabled Favre to change plays at will after Favre struggled with the vanilla play calling. Bevell has gotten better at creating and calling plays. Prior to 2012 he had never run read option plays and neither had Russell Wilson. I hear it a lot that Bevell made RW better which is IMO false. RW had the pocket presence and pocket passing abilities in college. He is just a natural playmaker who was never put in a read option system in college and yet he set records for efficiency and completions in both West coast and Pro passing systems.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has more in common with Favre than people realize. Both are durable, gutsy field generals with quick passing motions from many angles. RW has a better lob pass and throw on the run at such an early stage. Both are great playmakers but efficiency - wise and intelligence there is no doubt Wilson is more Rodgers than Favre.

mikeak

Reaction score
Mick063":1grabfmt said:
Just my opinion but..........

No one that posts here is smarter about coordinating an offense than Bevell. Many think they are, but they simply are not. Some team may pay Bevell six figures to be a head coach. That is a much more qualified assessment of Bevell's worth than anything I might read here.

Hence, I disqualify those that think this is good news.

I do not partake in the "celebration".

I don't have to be smarter than Bevell. The next coach who also gets paid lots of money has to be smarter.....

Some of us believes we are smart enough to recognize that there are better offensive coaches out there.

See how that works?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
mikeak":22oivuqg said:
Some of us believes we are smart enough to recognize that there are better offensive coaches out there.

Like who? Serious question. Which coordinators are better?

If you're the Raiders and want an offensive coach who can develop the young QB, who are you hiring? Gase or McDaniels? Please. Those guys are being propped up by Manning and Brady, and everyone knows it. Maybe Pep? But he only deals in high volume passing -- has failed to establish a run game and was hired principally to maintain continuity with Luck.

Kubiak is the only other guy who I think has the resume of building run-first while helping his QB. I'm surprised he isn't getting more looks for HC jobs.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
mikeak":30v19g12 said:
Mick063":30v19g12 said:

No one that posts here is smarter about coordinating an offense than Bevell. Many think they are, but they simply are not. Some team may pay Bevell six figures to be a head coach. That is a much more qualified assessment of Bevell's worth than anything I might read here.

I don't have to be smarter than Bevell. The next coach who also gets paid lots of money has to be smarter.....

See how that works?

Really proved a point there, Beavis. Well done.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":2d3uqy87 said:
You're officially not allowed to get angry when I bash you repeatedly over the head with the fact that our offense really took off once we get a new OC and said prediction comes to fruition.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2p4bjyfc said:
Zebulon Dak":2p4bjyfc said:
You're officially not allowed to get angry when I bash you repeatedly over the head with the fact that our offense really took off once we get a new OC and said prediction comes to fruition.

I would love that if it happens! You're officially not allowed to tell me wtf I'm allowed to do because you, like Studboy and a few others, can't accept somebody who refuses to lynch one person in the organization over some moderate struggles. It's not like we're the goddam Cleveland Browns and can't win shit. Get a goddam frame of reference, Donnie.

Uffda

Reaction score
Thought the idea of changing head coaches was to win more games ?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
CANHawk":33mmhjkc said:
There have been more than a few bevel decisions that have made me shake my head, but you can't argue with success. For better or worse, he's part of the secret sauce. The guys (less maybe Marshawn) seem to like him, so I suppose it would be for the best if he stays.

I advise to be careful of what you wish for.

I've worked in the same place for almost a decade. I've had a few bosses during that time, and I've realized that wanting to get rid of one or more of them based on their negatives without considering what they might be replaced by is a poor way to look at it. This is also true of individuals who are my peers; few are close to "perfect" but I've seen some that I thought were less than stellar get replaced by someone who was substantially worse. If you have a truly bad situation replacing them isn't a daunting proposition, but if things are working more positive than negative you're assuming a big risk by cutting them loose.

This team won a Super Bowl last year and is in good position to do so this year because of the combination of what they have. If Bevell leaves they might find someone better, but we better hope that the new person is at least as good. As much as people want to say that he's the worst at his job in the entire NFL (I doubt these people watch all other 31 teams enough to make this statement), I think the team could do much worse.

I can't tell how good or bad Bevell is but I've seen the same rage go on here in Baltimore with fans who wanted Cameron run out of town. They fired him midseason their Super Bowl year, but it's hard to say if that was really the reason they did better since the offense played like ass with Caldwell being the replacement immediately and through their struggles last year.

kpak76

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2s80aqqo said:
Mick063":2s80aqqo said:

Ah, the old "they are in charge therefore they are always right theory". :roll:

I remember folks saying that for years about the long line of failed Mariners GM's.

Just because someone gets paid a lot of money for doing a job does not equate them being good at their job.

See CEO's that drive very profitable company's into bankruptcy but still make countless millions.

Bevell is horrible at calling plays generally speaking, once in a blue moon he'll call a gem, but 3 times a season isn't enough.
He would be getting exposed a lot more if the defense wasn't so damn good and the QB and RB were not bailing him out all of the time.

Just my opinion of course. 8)

Hes not saying that at all. Hes saying leave it to the paid professionals. If you know squat about plumbing, do you take your opinion of whats wrong over a professional plumber?.

Anyways, celebrating Bevells potential departure shows how clueless people are around here when it comes to football. Sure lets run out of town the OC who helped us become world champs. Sure sounds smart.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
If Bevel does get a head coaching gig and we go outside for a replacement then Tresman might be a good candidate for Russell because they are pretty tight. It would depended on Pete's desire to change the offense though. Trestman's offense tends to be pass first. I'm not saying he couldn't still emphasize the run and generate conservative game plans that protect the defense because I don't know. He just didn't do that in Chi town or up North. He never had a QB the days I watched him at NC State though and he did run there.

Latest posts