Bevell defenders, anyone, please explain this to me

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":8rsta2zo said:
hawknation2015":8rsta2zo said:
AffectionateGrandGermanwirehairedpointer.gif
What I think you see here is the rookie Lockett not picking Graham's defender. If he impedes him at all, Graham gets the first down.

And there you have it.

It's a good play call at a good time, and reading the blitz pre-snap Wilson does what Hawks fans always beg for and gets the ball out really quickly. This is on Lockett. He's a rookie so you don't want to be too hard on him.

Even if you want to second guess it everyone else is covered and with the pressure if Wilson tried to go to a second read he would have been sacked.

It's always easy to blame the OC, but there's really nothing wrong with this playcall beyond it not working due to the players on the field (Lockett, and confusion over assignments on the right side of the line due to the blitz).

Crizilla

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1kmyxpea said:

Looking at this pass play and seeing (Lockette?) wide open in the middle of the field and NOT getting the ball tells me Russell has a long way to go to being an elite pocket passer. Brady or Rodgers would have picked something up with the coverage or would have read the defense and bought himself enough time in the pocket to STEP UP (instead of panic back pedaling that Wilson does) and hit that receiver. Elite QB's know every route a receiver has in their offensive play book for every play. Russell should have known he would have a receiver mid field, wide open. Also, If Carolina's safety doesn't bite on the inside route and covers mid field, that leaves the inside route open, resulting in a first down assuming the play is executed. We don't know for sure if this is Bevell's mistake. Why? Because maybe the plan was originally to try and hit the mid field receiver. Russ could have panicked, was unsure of himself, didn't know what the defense was throwing at him, etc and went with the "safe" route to Graham with hopes it would somehow result in a first down. It's also entirely possible Russ has developed panic or quick release syndrome due to the o-line playing so poor. I think the o-line has improved the last 2 games, though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I HATE those TE flare routes. They concede YAC by design. However, that particular play is perfect for 3rd and 1. Perfect for goal line stuff.

The pass pro was not good though, it looks to me like that was going to be the play no matter what the protection was, Russ read impending blitz (correctly). a little more time would have freed up Lynch.

As for those pointing at the Gilliam whiff, he probably attempted a cut block by design, since the primary on that route was the hot to Graham.

I am far more disturbed by Lynch getting no carries in the final 9.5 minutes than that hot route.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Crizilla":2289wmnw said:
hawknation2015":2289wmnw said:

Looking at this pass play and seeing (Lockette?) wide open in the middle of the field and NOT getting the ball tells me Russell has a long way to go to being an elite pocket passer. Brady or Rodgers would have picked something up with the coverage or would have read the defense and bought himself enough time in the pocket to hit that receiver. Elite QB's know every route a receiver has in their offensive play book for every play. Russell should have known he would have a receiver mid field, wide open. Also, If Carolina's safety doesn't bite on the inside route and covers mid field, that leaves the inside route open, resulting in a first down assuming the play is executed. We don't know for sure if this is Bevell's mistake. Why? Because maybe the plan was originally to try and hit the mid field receiver. Russ could have panicked, was unsure of himself, didn't know what the defense was throwing at him, etc and went with the "safe" route to Graham with hopes it would somehow result in a first down. It's also entirely possible Russ has developed panic or quick release syndrome due to the o-line playing so poor. I think the o-line has improved the last 2 games, though.
I don't see that at all. There was a blitz, a hot route, Russ executed the play correctly. The Carolina player made a good play.

Perhaps Lockett would not be so open if had run a much tighter rub route to free up Graham.

Besides, I see Lockett free up as everyone on D sees the ball come out and go to Graham. That isn't open, that is over.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Do you think that the pass could have gone to Lockett in the middle? A little lob there may have worked and there was no one within 4 yds when the pass was played out. Also did not know if the defense would have hindered the lob pass.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1j326pen said:
Do you think that the pass could have gone to Lockett in the middle? A little lob there may have worked and there was no one within 4 yds when the pass was played out. Also did not know if the defense would have hindered the lob pass.
Probably. Of course, if Lockett's job was to rub 88's guy, why would Russ think of lobbing him the ball?

Crizilla

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":40uhj2di said:
hawknation2015":40uhj2di said:
What I think you see here is the rookie Lockett not picking Graham's defender. If he impedes him at all, Graham gets the first down.

Wilson failed to hit an open receiver mid field. Defense gave him open mid field and wasn't able to get it done. The plan wasn't for Lockett to pick off the defender. Lockett did his job running the route and getting open.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Was this almost identical to our very first 3rd down of the game? The one Baldwin dropped but the corner blitzed and left Lockett there for the easy first down (had Russ noticed). I get fed up of seeing us roll out the same crap every week, we have a very modest repertoire of plays that we cycle through, there's no creation or ingenuity to exploit matchups.

We should have a field day over the middle against the 49ers on Thursday, but you just know that we won't, Bevell will think that they'll see that coming and get Russ to throw to the outside all game. Book it.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mozewst said:
Crizilla":1mozewst said:
hawknation2015":1mozewst said:

Looking at this pass play and seeing (Lockette?) wide open in the middle of the field and NOT getting the ball tells me Russell has a long way to go to being an elite pocket passer. Brady or Rodgers would have picked something up with the coverage or would have read the defense and bought himself enough time in the pocket to hit that receiver. Elite QB's know every route a receiver has in their offensive play book for every play. Russell should have known he would have a receiver mid field, wide open. Also, If Carolina's safety doesn't bite on the inside route and covers mid field, that leaves the inside route open, resulting in a first down assuming the play is executed. We don't know for sure if this is Bevell's mistake. Why? Because maybe the plan was originally to try and hit the mid field receiver. Russ could have panicked, was unsure of himself, didn't know what the defense was throwing at him, etc and went with the "safe" route to Graham with hopes it would somehow result in a first down. It's also entirely possible Russ has developed panic or quick release syndrome due to the o-line playing so poor. I think the o-line has improved the last 2 games, though.
I don't see that at all. There was a blitz, a hot route, Russ executed the play correctly. The Carolina player made a good play.

Perhaps Lockett would not be so open if had run a much tighter rub route to free up Graham.

Besides, I see Lockett free up as everyone on D sees the ball come out and go to Graham. That isn't open, that is over.

A blitz shouldn't force a QB to throw it to the outside. If Russ got rid of the ball the same exact time but threw to Lockett instead, there's a good chance the ball is caught. It's 3rd down. You need a first down. Graham's route doesn't get it done. Brady, Rodgers and the other few elites would have statue'd the pocket and got the ball to Lockett quickly.

If this was a FIRST down, while I still think there would have been a better opportunity with Lockett's route, you can't go wrong with a 3-4 gain on the out route to pick up yardage. The play call was to pass. Make it happen. You need 5 yards. Wilson needed to sling it to Lockett right there. Huge mistake from Wilson. I'm not giving him a pass anymore.

The Carolina player who tackled Graham did his job. Wasn't a great play. He simply did what he was suppose to do.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
If Russ releases the ball when Lockett makes his break at the 39, it's a huge gainer. Aside from run blocking, Russ's tentativeness in releasing the ball is the primary reason we are hindered on offense.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
As I look at the play a few times, I see there were options. But if the call was to expect that JG was gonna make some YAC... I can see that. Rub route could have worked too had it been implemented. But as someone said, he is a rookie and does not know the nuances of doing a rub route without being charged with PI. ADB and Lockett were semi open on that play. We clamor on getting the ball to our JG, and then complain when we do. Wierd game eh??? LOL

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
It's quick passing 101, just a slant concept. WR runs the slant and #2, Jimmy in this case, runs the arrow. Looks to me like Russ should have thrown the slant since the #2 defender went to the flat. This is exactly what has been holding Russ back. He needs to get to the point where he can fire that pass into a tight window if he wants to be considered a legitimate pocket QB.

He probably should have looked to the other side of the field in the first place given the D alignment.

White Devil

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":97hdr5uh said:
If Russ releases the ball when Lockett makes his break at the 39, it's a huge gainer. Aside from run blocking, Russ's tentativeness in releasing the ball is the primary reason we are hindered on offense.

LMMFAO!

BASF

Reaction score
Crizilla":212fvaj3 said:
Scottemojo":212fvaj3 said:
Crizilla":212fvaj3 said:
hawknation2015":212fvaj3 said:

A blitz shouldn't force a QB to throw it to the outside. If Russ got rid of the ball the same exact time but threw to Lockett instead, there's a good chance the ball is caught. It's 3rd down. You need a first down. Graham's route doesn't get it done. Brady, Rodgers and the other few elites would have statue'd the pocket and got the ball to Lockett quickly.

If this was a FIRST down, while I still think there would have been a better opportunity with Lockett's route, you can't go wrong with a 3-4 gain on the out route to pick up yardage. The play call was to pass. Make it happen. You need 5 yards. Wilson needed to sling it to Lockett right there. Huge mistake from Wilson. I'm not giving him a pass anymore.

The Carolina player who tackled Graham did his job. Wasn't a great play. He simply did what he was suppose to do.

You are missing the fact that the middle linebacker is pretty much in the passing lane that you are advocating the ball to go to until the pass is already thrown to Graham.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":37po80ol said:
He was not tentative at all on that play. He got the ball out damn fast.

What the Gif doesn't show well is that Carolina suspected pass, so they went unbalanced, with three pass rushers opposite Gilliam and Sweezy.
Graham motioned, and no one went with him. The guy faking a blitz, who ended up covering Graham, did a good job of sticking with the blitz fake til the snap. They guy who had been lined up opposite Graham DID blitz, giving them a 4-3 advantage over Gilliam, Sweezy, and the sliding over (injured) Lewis. The 4th blitzer was delayed, and looked designed to take away a Russ escape lane up the middle.
Could Wilson have held the ball an extra tic and gotten the ball to Lockett? Sure. And he would have been crushed.

Carolina knew it was a pass, and they shortened the play clock by getting a numbers advantage on the right side. The play was going to Graham the second he motioned and the left side backer stayed on the line threatening blitz.

If anything, a play designed to have a 180 something pound receiver run rubs on a 240 pound backer with speed is a bit suspect.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
BASF":26jq16cc said:
You are missing the fact that the middle linebacker is pretty much in the passing lane that you are advocating the ball to go to until the pass is already thrown to Graham.

Yep.

Throwing to Lockett there is what Kaepernick would do.

It's asking for an interception because you don't want to punt. :p

Crizilla

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1jv7xy21 said:
BASF":1jv7xy21 said:

Yep.

Throwing to Lockett there is what Kaepernick would do.

It's asking for an interception because you don't want to punt. :p

Oh ok so Wilson would throw an INT right there instead of getting the ball over the defender and to Lockett.

Gotcha.

Awesome! Let's just continue taking hot routes all the way to the super bowl.

mrt144

Reaction score
I love how people put the blame in RW some how, some way. It'll be interesting times when RW isn't here and there's a new whipping boy under center.