Bevell defenders, anyone, please explain this to me

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's not Bevell? He's the one who makes the ridiculous play calls. Playing scared with the lead, calling a 3 yard pass to Graham when they needed 5. Calling a pass play right after the long first down to Graham, when a running play would have taking a big chunk of the clock and/or made them take a time out. Instead, he calls a pass play, that results in a hold by Lynch that saved Russ from getting crushed. Bevell is a HUGE part of the problem. But yes, the experiment that is the O-Line is just as much to blame.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":143b5e1m said:
Bevell should call plays that are situationally cognizant, I don't really agree that the 3rd and 9 is one of those.

Lockett ran a 10 yard out, that is situationally cognizant.

2 of the 5 receivers that ran routes on that gif were open (Lockett and inside WR), one for a TD. Why is that Bevell's fault? He called a successful play that was horribly botched and executed by the O-line.

I'm fine with Bevell bashing, but at least have some facts.

If you're going to criticize Bevell, let's stick to the conservative 4th quarter and overtime playcalling. It's been atrocious.

But again, is that Bevell, or Pete telling the offense not to make mistakes because he still thinks his defense is going to rise to the occasion? Remember, Bevell doesn't call anything that Pete hasn't approved in the offensive meetings when gameplans are put together. It's not like Bevell can just call a bunch of crazy reverses, statues of liberties, flea flickers and triple reverses.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's the biggest issue, him going conservative when they have a lead in the 4th. And the team playing like they just assume the D will hold it down. And when they need to run the ball to keep the clock rolling and/or make the opponent use a timeout, they seem to do the complete opposite.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3cpbpm8t said:
mrt144":3cpbpm8t said:
Bevell should call plays that are situationally cognizant, I don't really agree that the 3rd and 9 is one of those.

Lockett ran a 10 yard out, that is situationally cognizant.

2 of the 5 receivers that ran routes on that gif were open (Lockett and inside WR), one for a TD. Why is that Bevell's fault? He called a successful play that was horribly botched and executed by the O-line.

I'm fine with Bevell bashing, but at least have some facts.

If you're going to criticize Bevell, let's stick to the conservative 4th quarter and overtime playcalling. It's been atrocious.

But again, is that Bevell, or Pete telling the offense not to make mistakes because he still thinks his defense is going to rise to the occasion? Remember, Bevell doesn't call anything that Pete hasn't approved in the offensive meetings when gameplans are put together. It's not like Bevell can just call a bunch of crazy reverses, statues of liberties, flea flickers and triple reverses.

There's a great Chalk Talk that someone just posted and Huard puts the onus on RW identifying the zone blitz then throwing the out to Kearse, so you do raise a fair point.

Again though, being situationally cognizant doesn't just mean yards to go and time left, it means understanding that your 3rd and 9 play that's called has a high chance of failure given the personnel situation at hand.

Crizilla

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":7671x8h1 said:
calling a 3 yard pass to Graham when they needed 5.

That was on Wilson. Bevell did not call a 3 yard pass play to Graham. He called the play and Wilson dumped it to Graham to stay safe.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Crizilla":1gmt7jtl said:
SoulfishHawk":1gmt7jtl said:
calling a 3 yard pass to Graham when they needed 5.

That was on Wilson. Bevell did not call a 3 yard pass play to Graham. He called the play and Wilson dumped it to Graham to stay safe.

And you're OK with our best 3rd down threat running an out route that is three yards shy of the first down line?

Bevell and Wilson are not taking advantage of Graham's size advantage. When they do, I expect this offense to become more efficient. Right now, it is boom or bust.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3mpyy1nc said:
Recon_Hawk":3mpyy1nc said:
We saw in the 3rd down slant that went incomplete to Graham that his size alone wasn't enough to post up against the smaller corner.

We've seen at least three red zone attempts that Russ hasn't been able to make that throw, either

Why do people want to turn this offense into the Jimmy Graham Jump Ball Show or think it's that simple to convert that type of pass? There's no predictability. At best it's a 50-50 play and any series that calls on that to be the go-to 3rd down will eventually fail, leading to a punt.

You are going to take one play that Graham ran over the middle of the field, where Russell's vision is at its worst, and extrapolate that Graham is suddenly incapable of dominating smaller defenders in jump ball situations OUTSIDE?

Wow.

It was a 3 step drop to a 4 yard slant. It was hardly over the middle of the field.

What I'm trying to debate is that you keep saying that Graham should be used outside full time, yet the best reason I've seen is for this is that he can dominate jump balls which I am saying has unpredictable success rate.

I've also made clear in an earlier post to you that it's not just one play. Russell has missed JG a few times in the redzone doing the exact jump ball situation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":1jljqh5d said:
Again though, being situationally cognizant doesn't just mean yards to go and time left, it means understanding that your 3rd and 9 play that's called has a high chance of failure given the personnel situation at hand.

Right, personnel. When the lines sucks as hard as it does, it's not like there's a gigantic playbook full of awesome plays that aren't being called.

Bevell and Russell have been hamstrung all year on plays blowing up in their faces and failing due to the O-line. Could better playcalling help some of this? I guess, theoretically. But when our line is literally getting destroyed 60-70% of the time on passing plays, what exactly is Bevell suppose to do?

More rollouts? More quick outs? More draws? Screens? Haven't we seen enough bubble screens? There's only so many plays you can call.

Sorry man, like I said I don't LOVE Bevell, but he ain't the biggest problem here. He's just not.

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3qcl19k8 said:
mrt144":3qcl19k8 said:

Right, personnel. When the lines sucks as hard as it does, it's not like there's a gigantic playbook full of awesome plays that aren't being called.

Bevell and Russell have been hamstrung all year on plays blowing up in their faces and failing due to the O-line. Could better playcalling help some of this? I guess, theoretically. But when our line is literally getting destroyed 60-70% of the time on passing plays, what exactly is Bevell suppose to do?

More rollouts? More quick outs? More draws? Screens? Haven't we seen enough bubble screens? There's only so many plays you can call.

Sorry man, like I said I don't LOVE Bevell, but he ain't the biggest problem here. He's just not.

You're right, he's not the biggest problem, he's simply the easiest problem to adjust in the short term through his choices alone. And that's really all I want to see from Bevell himself is some recognition that the process can be improved in spite of the talent involved.

Check out that chalk talk with Brock though, I think you'll like it because it speaks to another angle neither of us covered.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I like how suddenly a fan knows that it was on Wilson. So, the coaches told you that? Wilson told you that he messed up on that play? Clearly that was the PLAY CALL, as Graham went right to that spot, 3 yards out.
We get it already, some people flat out hate Wilson.

Tical21

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1wrj8jw6 said:
It's quick passing 101, just a slant concept. WR runs the slant and #2, Jimmy in this case, runs the arrow. Looks to me like Russ should have thrown the slant since the #2 defender went to the flat. This is exactly what has been holding Russ back. He needs to get to the point where he can fire that pass into a tight window if he wants to be considered a legitimate pocket QB.

He probably should have looked to the other side of the field in the first place given the D alignment.
Ding ding ding!!! This is a simple concept. Single high safety, throw the dang slant Russ. Pre-snap, his read should have been to throw to one of the slants on the right. Graham should have been at best the third option.