Bennett Re-signed with Seahawks 4 years 28.5mil!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawksSoc":29vu97x5 said:
Holy moly, 7mil per is an absolute steal.

I was going to post this as well. 7 mil is a great price to bring him back at.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Just heard on 710ESPN that Bennet says that Sherm was on him constantly to resign. :)

Which is a bit surprising, because Sherm wrote in his column at MMQB after the SB an article about how the NFL is not just a competitive endeavor but also a business, and we (teammates and fans) have to be prepared to see Bennett move on if he sees fit. Sherm wrote that piece, but behind the scenes was urging Bennett to resign. Cool.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Escamillo":1cig54ln said:
Just heard on 710ESPN that Bennet says that Sherm was on him constantly to resign. :)

Which is a bit surprising, because Sherm wrote in his column at MMQB after the SB an article about how the NFL is not just a competitive endeavor but also a business, and we (teammates and fans) have to be prepared to see Bennett move on if he sees fit. Sherm wrote that piece, but behind the scenes was urging Bennett to resign. Cool.

Sherman knows his best bet to repeat the year that he had (and get paid) is with a good d line. Makes sense.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Seattle is so great that good players take discounts to be here in the home of the Super Bowl Champions.

Is this real life? Am I dreaming? Did I just write that totally true sentence? If someone told me in 2008 that I would be saying this in 2014, I would have flipped.

I'm happy he's not gone and that the gtd. money was good enough here to keep him around. I thought he was gone, but I was sad that he was leaving.

two dog

Reaction score
I was saving my YAHOOO for this !

Looks like the deal is heavily front loaded. Many bucks for
Michael right now and cap ease for the Hawks down the line.

Damn, it's fun to be fans of a team with the smartest front
office staff in the league !

MVP53

Reaction score
Dtowers":34gdiklx said:
Perfundle":34gdiklx said:
DavidSeven":34gdiklx said:
Colin Paisley ‏@ColinPaisley 6m
Bennett says he did give Seattle a "little bit" of a discount but says guaranteed numbers weren't higher elsewhere.
That's silly on the part of the other teams then. Everyone knows players care most about the guaranteed money.

There a significant number of players that care about being the "highest paid player" at their position that truly care about that total contract number.

Sincerely, Shaun Alexander

jblaze

Reaction score
Hawks46":14cwzeyh said:
jblaze":14cwzeyh said:
mikeak":14cwzeyh said:
I stated several times that the union won't care if players take discount as the total pool of money is the same for players unlike the MLB contracts

I will say - I told you so

Bennet takes this kind of discount now I want to hear from those who think a few of us are crazy for believing both RW and Sherman gives a discount.......... yes they played under smaller rookie contracts but they are tied to Seahawks from a product marketing standpoint in a way that Bennet doesn't come close too.

Not even close. 7.1m/yr is not a discount, it's right around where he should have been. Just because the Bears were willing to offer him a little more doesn't mean he took a discount, state income tax and all. Once you break down the offer from the Bears and taking state income tax into account, Bennett "settled" for 75k less to stay in Seattle.

Now if he would have taken 5m or something, perhaps the NFLPA or his agent would have had something to say.

It's also dependent on the market and it looks like the market is right about where it should have been, last year was quite a bit less than normal.

This has no bearing on Sherm, Thomas or RW and has no bearing on them taking "discounts" which is a fantasy.

7.125 mil/year is a discount, especially when the first FA DE signed in Minnesota for over 8 mil/year with 20 mil guaranteed. It's a fair contract to both sides, but let's be real about this; if Bennett hits the open market, he gets 8 mil/year or more, maybe up to 10 mil/year. The freakin Raiders were in line to overpay him, among others.

I'm also not sure where you got your math, what with the 75k and all. If Bennett signed for 8 mil/year, and plays half of his games at home, with a 5% state income tax, he'll be paying 200k/year in income tax (4 million x .05 = 200,000). That's 200k per year, over 4 years, is 1.2 million. Right there is some significant savings, but if the Bears offered him 8.5 mil like has been reported, and he took 7.125, well, even with state tax he took 1 million a year less to be here....or more than 4 million over the life of the contact.

That's significant. That's probably going to be most of one of Tate's years, if we sign him to what most theorize he will get. Stuff like that adds up, and I appreciate Bennett doing that for the team. I hope it rubs off on guys like Thomas and Sherman. I already believe Russell Wilson will take a fair deal and won't go for max contract on us.

You're out of your mind thinking anyone is offering him 10m a year. And you're making up your math, I"m just quoting what John Clayton said on Brock and Danny.

Keep dreaming. There is a slight "discount" if you want to call it that but if anyone was offering him 9 or 10m a year, he'd be gone.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Holy crap this is incredible news! Hometown discount?! Front loaded?! Major kudos to Michael and John Schneider. Welcome back big man! Let's get two!

jblaze

Reaction score
ManBunts":7eil04yz said:
This is great. I think one reason people keep seeing this as a "deal" is because of the contract Griffen just signed with the Vikings, which in my eyes was a gross overpay for a mid-tier player, even if he "has potential".

That said, this is very smartly structured too. The smallest hit to our cap space next year and the year after, when we know we'll need it for Earl, Sherm and Russell.

Agreed, the Vikings are fools. They're not setting the market so you can't compare Bennett to Griffin. They grossly overpaid.

Plus Griffin is 26 and that's getting prime age for pass rushers regardless of starts, etc.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Great news. Bennett is one of those guys that are a lot more disruptive than typical stats can show as we all know here. So glad he'll be back, this line got so much better when they brought in Bennett and Avril.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kf3339":2r17ueyg said:
I hope this show some posters to not get caught up in the process and make assumptions until actual facts are known. Personally I just waited until the real news came and am thrilled!

I always felt the odds were on our side.
Same here..You can't assume anything until they actually sign the line..Some just seem to go into panic mode ..Love the signing it cost more than I like but hopefully they structured it cap friendly..Sad to say but a couple heads will be going but I trust the FO..
Hawks Rule!Da Bears- well they stink...

Wolfepack

Reaction score
If Mike said Sherm was on him almost daily to resign and that Mike took what might be considered a slight discount ... then I don't think it would be far off to expect that Sherm will do the same when it comes time to resign. Hopefully this sets the tone for all the other young players and creates a culture of "slight" financial sacrifice for the greater good of the team.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jblaze":3trh2xli said:
ManBunts":3trh2xli said:
This is great. I think one reason people keep seeing this as a "deal" is because of the contract Griffen just signed with the Vikings, which in my eyes was a gross overpay for a mid-tier player, even if he "has potential".

That said, this is very smartly structured too. The smallest hit to our cap space next year and the year after, when we know we'll need it for Earl, Sherm and Russell.

Agreed, the Vikings are fools. They're not setting the market so you can't compare Bennett to Griffin. They grossly overpaid.

Plus Griffin is 26 and that's getting prime age for pass rushers regardless of starts, etc.

Yea, that was a pretty dumb contract by the Vikings. I cringed when I read that, thinking it was going to screw us with Bennett. As for them not setting the market, it's too early to tell. The FA period starts tomorrow, that's when we'll start to see some guys getting signed, and we'll likely see guys like Michael Johnson probably using Griffen's contract as leverage. It seems Bennett didn't do that, which I appreciate.

Personally, I think Flacco got overpaid, and it hurt the Ravens. Even though it wasn't a smart contract, other QBs have used that to set the market and get their money as well (Cutler, Romo). Remember, teams can sign their own FA's, and talk to other teams' FA's, but they can't sign other teams FA's until tomorrow. There's almost always someone willing to overpay.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
This is so awesome.

When we extend Earl and Sherm, they can start etching the Seahawks logo on the Mt. Rushmore of all-time NFL defenses.

For real.

Figuratively.

Meeker

Reaction score
I was hoping we could get him back for 7-8...but when Griffen got paid I thought he could get 10+. Extremely happy with the deal.