Bennett Re-signed with Seahawks 4 years 28.5mil!

justafan

Reaction score
Huge signing.The terms are better than I could have dreamed.

jblaze

Reaction score
mikeak":1ob5zacn said:
I stated several times that the union won't care if players take discount as the total pool of money is the same for players unlike the MLB contracts

I will say - I told you so

Bennet takes this kind of discount now I want to hear from those who think a few of us are crazy for believing both RW and Sherman gives a discount.......... yes they played under smaller rookie contracts but they are tied to Seahawks from a product marketing standpoint in a way that Bennet doesn't come close too.

Not even close. 7.1m/yr is not a discount, it's right around where he should have been. Just because the Bears were willing to offer him a little more doesn't mean he took a discount, state income tax and all. Once you break down the offer from the Bears and taking state income tax into account, Bennett "settled" for 75k less to stay in Seattle.

Now if he would have taken 5m or something, perhaps the NFLPA or his agent would have had something to say.

It's also dependent on the market and it looks like the market is right about where it should have been, last year was quite a bit less than normal.

This has no bearing on Sherm, Thomas or RW and has no bearing on them taking "discounts" which is a fantasy.

formido

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1yil5ruk said:
‏@AdamSchefter

Two teams offered DE Michael Bennett more money but he opted to re-sign with SEA for 4 years, $28.5 million, including $10 million in 2014.

It's almost as if players sometimes give the "home team" a "discount".

Maybe that number will turn out wrong or the contract particulars will balance out the cost of risk, but even 34 million is a great value with where the cap is headed. It's hard to verify how often and how much home team discounts account for, but it should be pretty clear that winning teams have an edge in re-signing the players they want. When folks try to play the "ain't no such thing as a home team discount" card as a reason to assume a free agent will automatically jump ship (which should happen >95% of the time in a pure auction scenario), you should pay it no never mind. And, it's probably possible for a team to treat its players, carry itself, and brand itself in a way that it strengthens this edge. Don't think for a moment that the poll a couple months ago showing that a plurality of NFL players would prefer to play for Carroll carries no water at contract time.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Walterfootball gives the terms of Bennetts re-signing an A grade.

'Bennett is a stud defensive lineman. He's a force against the run and is also very effective as a pass-rusher, particularly in nickel situations when he moves inside. He was key for Seattle's Super Bowl defense, so the Seahawks' ability to retain him is obviously a great move.'

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2014recap.php

jblaze

Reaction score
Just think, if we had franchised him it'd be 13m this year.

It's 14m for the first two years!!!!!

JS and PC know what they're doing... He was on a one year prove it contract, he proved it and got paid.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I kind of doubt Chicago offered more than $8M/yr. As we've seen, all those "rumored numbers" were vastly exaggerated. Seems more reasonable to think it was a $7.1M vs. $7.5M type deal. Anyway, there was the Schefter report quoting league execs that said Bennett's market was $6.5M-$8M. I saw no reason to doubt that. This deal falls nicely in the middle.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
No state income tax in WA and more money in year one probably evened the offers out a bit.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
He just said on Radio that he did give a little discount and the biggest thing was the guaranteed money. Said really hopes McDonald & McDaniel come back.

jblaze

Reaction score
Yep, it's all about guarantees. 16m guaranteed in the first two years. Year 3 and 4 are completely non-guaranteed so good for the Hawks as decision points.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jblaze":1guudvem said:
mikeak":1guudvem said:
I stated several times that the union won't care if players take discount as the total pool of money is the same for players unlike the MLB contracts

I will say - I told you so

Bennet takes this kind of discount now I want to hear from those who think a few of us are crazy for believing both RW and Sherman gives a discount.......... yes they played under smaller rookie contracts but they are tied to Seahawks from a product marketing standpoint in a way that Bennet doesn't come close too.

Not even close. 7.1m/yr is not a discount, it's right around where he should have been. Just because the Bears were willing to offer him a little more doesn't mean he took a discount, state income tax and all. Once you break down the offer from the Bears and taking state income tax into account, Bennett "settled" for 75k less to stay in Seattle.

Now if he would have taken 5m or something, perhaps the NFLPA or his agent would have had something to say.

It's also dependent on the market and it looks like the market is right about where it should have been, last year was quite a bit less than normal.

This has no bearing on Sherm, Thomas or RW and has no bearing on them taking "discounts" which is a fantasy.

7.125 mil/year is a discount, especially when the first FA DE signed in Minnesota for over 8 mil/year with 20 mil guaranteed. It's a fair contract to both sides, but let's be real about this; if Bennett hits the open market, he gets 8 mil/year or more, maybe up to 10 mil/year. The freakin Raiders were in line to overpay him, among others.

I'm also not sure where you got your math, what with the 75k and all. If Bennett signed for 8 mil/year, and plays half of his games at home, with a 5% state income tax, he'll be paying 200k/year in income tax (4 million x .05 = 200,000). That's 200k per year, over 4 years, is 1.2 million. Right there is some significant savings, but if the Bears offered him 8.5 mil like has been reported, and he took 7.125, well, even with state tax he took 1 million a year less to be here....or more than 4 million over the life of the contact.

That's significant. That's probably going to be most of one of Tate's years, if we sign him to what most theorize he will get. Stuff like that adds up, and I appreciate Bennett doing that for the team. I hope it rubs off on guys like Thomas and Sherman. I already believe Russell Wilson will take a fair deal and won't go for max contract on us.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Nice job by the office and Bennett’s people to work this out. Can some one explain the difference in how the guaranteed cash will affect the cap vs un-guaranteed money?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":2ytrgoge said:
if Bennett hits the open market, he gets 8 mil/year or more, maybe up to 10 mil/year. The freakin Raiders were in line to overpay him, among others.

He's been talking to teams for the last three days. If someone was willing to pay him $10M/year, they would've made strong suggestions about that before today.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So no signing bonus, right?... interesting... that means no dead money after 2015.

2014... $10M fully guaranteed
2015.... $6M fully guaranteed
2016.... $5M
2017.... $7.5M

Dtowers

Reaction score
No signing bonus was announced that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Colin Paisley ‏@ColinPaisley 6m
Bennett says he did give Seattle a "little bit" of a discount but says guaranteed numbers weren't higher elsewhere.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
:179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417:

Retweeted by Michael Bennett
Cliff Avril ‏@cliffavril 1h
Congrats to my brother Mike B on getting that deal... Now lets go get another ring patna pic.twitter.com/cj0hVd5Bra