Bennett Re-signed with Seahawks 4 years 28.5mil!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
DavidSeven":jegq7ket said:
Colin Paisley ‏@ColinPaisley 6m
Bennett says he did give Seattle a "little bit" of a discount but says guaranteed numbers weren't higher elsewhere.

Yeah - guaranteed is the only thing that really matters; the rest is window dressing for fans and the media.

I never really pay attention to the total number as only guaranteed number matters for dead money.

kidhawk

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":3o580xun said:
So no signing bonus, right?... interesting... that means no dead money after 2015.

2014... $10M fully guaranteed
2015.... $6M fully guaranteed
2016.... $5M
2017.... $7.5M

Terms aren't specifically listed out there yet, but I would guess that a healthy portion of the $10 million is a signing bonus. That way the team can spread the hit out a little bit, and the player can claim more salary under Washington State rules (no taxes) instead of wherever the game is being played

ManBunts

Reaction score
This is great. I think one reason people keep seeing this as a "deal" is because of the contract Griffen just signed with the Vikings, which in my eyes was a gross overpay for a mid-tier player, even if he "has potential".

That said, this is very smartly structured too. The smallest hit to our cap space next year and the year after, when we know we'll need it for Earl, Sherm and Russell.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SE174":1nva5qsr said:
SeahawksFanForever":1nva5qsr said:
Seahawks = Costco.
Damn, beat me to it. Renton Signature, baby!

Bennett took a little bit less, thought to be around 15% to stay in Seattle. So not quite Costco, more like Macy's vs. Nordstrom.

Also remember, Illinois has a state income tax.........so he wasn't really making more going to Chicago. He would have given that 15% back, and then some.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Work blocks half of the pics posted but just in case no one else posted this

screen-shot-2014-02-03-at-11-40-29-am.png

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1p78ykpl said:
Nice job by the office and Bennett’s people to work this out. Can some one explain the difference in how the guaranteed cash will affect the cap vs un-guaranteed money?
Sure. The following is based on the latest information available on his contract. I have heard nothing of a signing bonus.

Regardless of what happens between now and the start of the regular season, the Hawks will pay Bennett $10M in 17 weekly game checks (they get a game check during their bye week).

And in 2015, the same will hold true to the tune of $6M more. That is the end of the guaranteed money.

So, even if he never suits up, the Hawks owe him a total of $16M... $10M in 2014 and $6M in 2015.

After the 2015 season, if the Hawks cut him there will be no "dead money" against the team's cap in 2016 and 2017.

Perfundle

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2v0vp8zx said:
Bennett says he did give Seattle a "little bit" of a discount but says guaranteed numbers weren't higher elsewhere.
That's silly on the part of the other teams then. Everyone knows players care most about the guaranteed money.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2lpbx3db said:
Work blocks half of the pics posted but just in case no one else posted this

screen-shot-2014-02-03-at-11-40-29-am.png
JS looks like he could be Sheamus's angry drunken uncle in that pic. :)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
You know what makes more sense?... Bennett is getting a $4M signing bonus... pure speculation on my part.

2014... $4M signing bonus + $6M salary = $10M guaranteed... cap hit $7M
2015... $6M salary guaranteed (end of guaranteed money)... cap hit $7M
2016... $5M salary... cap hit $6M... dead money $2M
2017... $7.5M salary... cap hit $8.5M... dead money $1M

suppaball

Reaction score
FROM TWITTER

So much for those California king bunk beds I was designing @mosesbread72
Martellus Bennett
@MartysaurusRex
Retweet
+ Follow

Dtowers

Reaction score
Perfundle":1pvrnvlg said:
DavidSeven":1pvrnvlg said:
That's silly on the part of the other teams then. Everyone knows players care most about the guaranteed money.

There a significant number of players that care about being the "highest paid player" at their position that truly care about that total contract number.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
suppaball":2dcfzbmo said:
FROM TWITTER

So much for those California king bunk beds I was designing @mosesbread72
Martellus Bennett
@MartysaurusRex
Retweet
+ Follow

LMAO. That's hilarious

LargentFan

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":65oc2s0h said:
2. The LOB has already said they are going to work with the team to stay together so 14 million is fair given the new cap situation.

Is this true?? I hadn't heard that. Awesome news.
Link?