Beast Back !!!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":nwyuoaqj said:
Sgt. Largent":nwyuoaqj said:
StoneCold":nwyuoaqj said:
Sgt. Largent":nwyuoaqj said:
This trains rollin', so I don't think Pete messes with the current offensive chemistry...........even if in 2-3 weeks Lynch is back.

Disagree. If Lynch is healthy he becomes the starter, but will only keep that position if he's productive.

IMO he hasn't really been healthy all year, and I don't think he's going to be 100% healthy for the rest of the year.

Thus my opinion, and why Pete will continue to be coy about Lynch.

If we go deep into the playoffs? Then you might see Lynch get some reps, but if we continue to win and this offense continues to kick ass? No way Pete upsets that dynamic by trying to put Lynch back in. I just don't see how that happens.

Agree that he hasn't been 100%, but if he is do you start him then?

I don't.

I created a thread explaining, this offense is better without Lynch. We went from a pound the rock 30-40 times a game in order to wear out the defense in the 4th quarter predictable offense that teams had an easy time gameplanning for the past year..............to a dynamic wide open offense that's leapfrogged into the top of the league in stats and scoring. Rawls fits this O-line better, he hits the hole quick, no zone blocking cutback lanes that doesn't exist needed.

Why mess with the offense if it continues to roll and win? Loyalty to Lynch?

Nope. That's football, it's happened 1,000 times, and it'll happen 1,000 more. If the teams winning you stick with what's winning, not give a guy his job back because he's healthy, loyalty, whatever.

nategreat

Reaction score
Can you say 2 back sets? Imagine Rawls and Marshawn both in at the same time.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
We're in an interesting situation because,as has been alluded to in multiple threads, I think Rawls is a better fit for the current iteration of this offense and should be our centerpiece at RB moving forward. I wonder if part of that was Lynch being a step slow due to the nagging injuries but that is to be determined. However, I think we need Lynch and Jackson for the stretch run to prevent Rawls from hitting a rookie wall. I went back to look at his college numbers.

Year School Rush Att Rec
2011 Michigan 13 0
2012 Michigan 57 1
2013 Michigan 3 0
2014 C. Mich. 210 9

The highest number of touches Rawls has seen in the past 4 years is 219. Right now, Rawls is sitting at 141 carries and 9 receptions. Over the last 3 games (full time starter), he's averaged 25 touches per game. With 4 games left on the schedule, he's on pace for 250 touches. Not to mention any playoff games.

Love to see Lynch back to pick up 3-4 series a game. I was actually pretty irritated that Rawls was still in the game with us up 28-0. They finally started putting DuJuan Harris is the game by the end. I think we need Lynch and Rawls fresh for a playoff run.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
nategreat":wyquzcw3 said:
Can you say 2 back sets? Imagine Rawls and Marshawn both in at the same time.

Certainly that could be a new wrinkle, but that's for a couple series a game max.

SC is saying Lynch should get his starting job back if healthy.......and IMO that would be a mistake that could cost us a playoff run, or to lose in the playoff if it means we go back to being a struggling to score offense like we were the first half of the season.

Pete ain't doing that, I promise you. He'll make up every vague excuse in the book to not play Lynch, unless Lynch is OK with being the #2 change of pace back. Which I do not think he will be, dude's the most proud player in the league.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
This isn't the Quarterback position where it's a ONE and only STARTER, and it shouldn't turn into Ego stroking either.
It SHOULD turn into a whatever is best for the TEAM and whatever it takes to get the wins.
IF Marshawn Lynch isn't 100% healthy, I don't see them taking a chance of screwing him up,
On top of all that, Rawls has had mucho success, why would anyone seriously consider taking their foot off the throttle?

"This Isn't A COMPETITION"

HawkGA

Reaction score
He's back in the building but he's still rehabbing. Do we have any updated news on how long they think he'll still be out?

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
At this point id rather have rawls getting the majority of snaps even when Lynch is healthy.

Lynch has been there before and knows how to do his job, so as long as Rawls is still playing at a high level we might as well make Lynch the best backup RB a playoff team has ever had.

Zorn76

Reaction score
Rawls has been playing Extremely well this season, far better than I ever could've imagined.
Beast has been banged up, and hopefully is close to 100% in a few weeks.
Together, it's a great 1-2 punch to have for the playoffs.

sutz

Reaction score
You know, other than a few looks and gestures over individual play calls, I have never seen or heard of Beast being disgruntled or unhappy about the number of carries he gets. Am I missing something? I don't see him being a locker room problem if he somehow doesn't get the ball enough.

Yeah I get that most RBs like a certain amount of carries and tend to get more effective later in the game when they do, but I don't think I buy into the emotional side of it. Having two healthy starting quality RBs sounds like a good thing going down the stretch and into the playoffs in my IMNSHO.

Rob12

Reaction score
I hope they bring him back very slowly. Play him in Week 17 against the Cardinals if we must, but I don't think there's any hurry at all to bring him back in the next three weeks when you look at who our opponents will be.

We're going to need him for the playoffs. How I would love to see him lead the charge as we roll to a third straight Owl appearance.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seymour":1xigsbvo said:
Good question. We are about to find out if "always compete" is more than lip service. Rawls has eliminated the question on who is more productive for this season.

???...What team have you been watching for the last 5 years, or did you just jump on the band wagon? We've seen competition determine the starters, more often than not, for Pete's entire tenure with us, and at USC. HELLO, does Russell Wilson ring a bell?! Why would you take a 'jury-is-still-out' attitude after we've witnessed competition as the central theme for half a decade?! How does it suddenly become "lip service?"

If there is anyone who might get the benefit of the doubt, it would probably be Marshawn, but that would be far from making Pete's central philosophy a farce. :roll:

Rob12

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2etwl65b said:
Seymour":2etwl65b said:
Good question. We are about to find out if "always compete" is more than lip service. Rawls has eliminated the question on who is more productive for this season.

???...What team have you been watching for the last 5 years, or did you just jump on the band wagon? We've seen competition determine the starters, more often than not, for Pete's entire tenure with us, and at USC. HELLO, does Russell Wilson ring a bell?! Why would you take a 'jury-is-still-out' attitude after we've witnessed competition as the central theme for half a decade?! How does it suddenly become "lip service?"

If there is anyone who might get the benefit of the doubt, it would probably be Marshawn, but that would be far from making Pete's central philosophy a farce. :roll:

Probably shouldn't question his fandom, but whatever.

Rawls' six game run of brilliance does not cancel out a Ring of Honor member and potential HoF running back. We're getting Beast for the stretch run and into the playoffs, and that should have opposing teams dropping turds in their jocks. We have no idea if Beast is declining. He's obviously been playing hurt. One thing I know for sure is that with Rawls and a recovering and healthy Beast coming back, the Seahawks' running game has never been better. What a hell of a predicament to be in.

Beast is the man until he's not. Injury is not going to derail that. I trust that Pete will know who will be more effective when it matters most.

A

Anonymous

:thcoffee:

One thing we can be sure of, is that we will be surprised by how Pete handles things. All things considered, having questions like these is a good thing.

We have options.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seymour":s33uou3m said:
Basis4day":s33uou3m said:
Seymour":s33uou3m said:
gowazzu02":s33uou3m said:
So awkward question. Does Rawls back up a healthy beast or did beast just get wally pipped? Cant argue T Rawls been more productive this year then beast was when he played.

They proved that always compete was real a long time ago.

Agree on that in most cases. This year though, how does one explain Williams and Nowak starting then getting completely put to shame by their 'backups"?

Who is playing now and who is on the street?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":2i6qx7hq said:
You know, other than a few looks and gestures over individual play calls, I have never seen or heard of Beast being disgruntled or unhappy about the number of carries he gets. Am I missing something? I don't see him being a locker room problem if he somehow doesn't get the ball enough..

You're missing the part where if Lynch comes back healthy Pete doesn't give him his starting job back and change the schemes back to our power zone blocking run game to suit him.

We're in unchartered territory with Lynch if this happens, he's never NOT been the featured back. So it's not insane to think he might not be cool with that.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":6nha73ys said:
Seymour":6nha73ys said:

Keep reading, you'll get there. I said there were signs that is not always the case but agreed that for the most part it has held true.
Yes jumped on the bandwagon in 1976.
As stated, this case with Lynch is different given what he's brought to the team, and that those in the locker room for the most part are behind him.

McGruff

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that when Beast retires we are going to find out that he was a lot like Terrell Davis . . . A great back, but also a product of the system. Rawls may be like Foster or Holmes . . . Or he may be like Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Mike Bell, Rueben Droughns, etc. A plug and play back that fits the system.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Personally I am happy with the wild card this year. Even a true dynasty can't expect to have the #1 seed every year. If we are as good as I think we are then this will be our (Pete Carroll's) biggest challenge and if we succeed it will be our biggest triumph.

Shit. I got my threads mixed up.

sutz

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":38rt4343 said:
sutz":38rt4343 said:
You know, other than a few looks and gestures over individual play calls, I have never seen or heard of Beast being disgruntled or unhappy about the number of carries he gets. Am I missing something? I don't see him being a locker room problem if he somehow doesn't get the ball enough..

You're missing the part where if Lynch comes back healthy Pete doesn't give him his starting job back and change the schemes back to our power zone blocking run game to suit him.

We're in unchartered territory with Lynch if this happens, he's never NOT been the featured back. So it's not insane to think he might not be cool with that.
And the fact that it hasn't happened means that all comments about the situation are pure speculation.

Oh, and I'm not so sure we'd need to "adjust" any schemes to suit him. Maybe, just maybe, we were 'adjusting the scheme' earlier in the year to suit his weakened, injury bothered persona. Maybe now we're running the real deal we always wanted to run with a healthy Rawls, and maybe a healthy Marsh will do just fine in it.

See, I can speculate, too. ;)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":3cvekmfs said:
I'm going out on a limb here and saying that when Beast retires we are going to find out that he was a lot like Terrell Davis . . . A great back, but also a product of the system. Rawls may be like Foster or Holmes . . . Or he may be like Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Mike Bell, Rueben Droughns, etc. A plug and play back that fits the system.

Lynch has been successful in multiple systems, going all the way back to college. So I have to disagree, in fact his running style transcends any system...........and IS what sets him apart from just another system back.

IMO what's given him success in Seattle has more to do with he found a coach, city and team that allowed him to be himself, which has created a good environment for him to succeed, far more than this zone blocking system.

Latest posts