Baldwin on Russell “Untapped Potential & Room to Improve”

erik2690

Reaction score
The Doug way. Can't even just say "yes" when asked if he's a top 6 QB lol. Surprised he didn't manage to mention how amazing a QB T-Jack was while shading Russ for the 100th time.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Angry tells like it is..
Who better to know?Not anyone in here that is for sure.

erik2690

Reaction score
IndyHawk":9g1hmhv9 said:
Angry tells like it is..
Who better to know?Not anyone in here that is for sure.

LOL I love the notion that being a dick is more genuine or real or must be the truth. He's Sherm's dude and has been shading Russ since forever. This is personal not some brilliant analysis that must be correct. Top 6 was such a stretch that he couldn't give it to him? C'mon this is Doug's MO, it's not about it being an objective truth or anything like that. Again Doug speaks about backup QB's who threatened their wives with guns with more respect and it's not b/c T-Jack is a better QB.

John63

Reaction score
To read the replies to this post is funny. You got guys saying it proves he is under valued at 6 and other saying its Doug and since he did not say he should be higher, than he shoudn't be.

Meanwhile none of you mentioned when the others said he should be higher and Doug did not argue and in fact agreed with several things that was said.

How anyone can come away thinking anything other than he was to low is baffling

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have no problem with anything ADB said about Wilson. He's absolutely correct. He still has untapped potential with room to improve. ANY top tier QB would say the exact same thing about themselves.

The one thing I do disagree with him on - and with all due respect being one of my favorite Hawks of all time - is that I do personally believe Russell is a top 3 QB in the league at this moment.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":3cmrgsjw said:
I have no problem with anything ADB said about Wilson. He's absolutely correct. He still has untapped potential with room to improve. ANY top tier QB would say the exact same thing about themselves.

The one thing I do disagree with him on - and with all due respect being one of my favorite Hawks of all time - is that I do personally believe Russell is a top 3 QB in the league at this moment.

I agree and disagree, it is based on what you feel is a QB, a pocket passer like Brady and Rodgers may be a bit better in that aspect, Mahomes possibly also. But a dynamic QB that can beat you arm and legs and improvise as well as make someth8ing out of nothing then Wilson is indeed top three and I would say number one in that regard with maybe Newton and Jackson in Baltimore following him up in that aspect. Combined he is top 5 I would think. One note, take Mahomes out of KC and it would be interesting to see what his game really is as well.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think when you've got a pile of Brady, Brees, Roger's, Wilson and an obviously emerging MAhomes, top 5 is perfectly fine.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Not sure why people think Doug is ”shading” Russell. He said he thinks Russ should be higher in the list than he is and that he still has untapped potential that could put him in the top three, possibly number one, in the next several years.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
this is a guy who played with Russ...was in the trenches with him very recently. As others have said, who would know better than ADB??

I would take everything he said as the exact truth, good and bad.

There are some posters in here who will go to the end of the earth to shoot down ANY negative...or perceived negative comment about Russ.

RW has flaws. He is also awesome! As fans of his, it is OK to embrace both truths.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t get it either. I don’t think ADB said anything bad in that clip.

At times I think playcalling holds Russ back.
When they are not overly conservative and predictable in play calling he tends to move the ball and put points on the board.

I would like to see him get the “Peyton Pass” where the playcall is merely a “suggestion?”
I think Russ has earned that responsibility.
Try it for a season, if it doesn’t work you can go back to the old way.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
A-rod, Mahomes and brees are better then Russ. I wouldn’t take any other web over him. A few years ago, Brady for sure but not now.

To me, Mahomes is already the best qb in the league. It’s not even close. He’s an absolute monster. I think with the untapped potential Doug is referring to our style of offense. We don’t run an air raid we friendly offense, I am confused at the last bit when he mentions 1-2-3, I believe he’s talking about championships - maybe someone else can chime in

John63

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":mi427z61 said:
A-rod, Mahomes and brees are better then Russ. I wouldn’t take any other web over him. A few years ago, Brady for sure but not now.

To me, Mahomes is already the best qb in the league. It’s not even close. He’s an absolute monster. I think with the untapped potential Doug is referring to our style of offense. We don’t run an air raid we friendly offense, I am confused at the last bit when he mentions 1-2-3, I believe he’s talking about championships - maybe someone else can chime in

You see I don't get that. 1 year and he is the best. Not saying he is not good. But 1 year is not enough to know. That with out even mentioning the superior talent around him. I need to see a couple more years before I will annoint him the best.

McGruff

Reaction score
You lack vision.

Mahomes looked like a total stud coming out of college.

Hes just getting started.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
There was a season where Cam looked unstoppable and like he was going to break all the QB traditions. He fell back to earth and his true pocket presence and accuracy showed.

Mahones will have a harder time repeating his success but I think he is the real deal. Rodgers in my mind is done, we will see if the new coaches improve his play but I think his passion is fading fast. Mahoney will take the #1 spot in 2 years.

toffee

Reaction score
chris98251":27tmuplk said:
Aros":27tmuplk said:

I agree and disagree, it is based on what you feel is a QB, a pocket passer like Brady and Rodgers may be a bit better in that aspect, Mahomes possibly also. But a dynamic QB that can beat you arm and legs and improvise as well as make someth8ing out of nothing then Wilson is indeed top three and I would say number one in that regard with maybe Newton and Jackson in Baltimore following him up in that aspect. Combined he is top 5 I would think. One note, take Mahomes out of KC and it would be interesting to see what his game really is as well.

Top 5's your opinion and we are all sure that you would have voice it if you were in the interview, I too would have defended Russ if I was in the interview. So here, points is Angry, who was in the interview but refused to opine that Russ is top 6 or 5 but just Russ could still improve some .... that led me to believe in Angry's mind, he made Russ great, without Doug Baldwin, Russell Wilson's just another average QB. Without Pete Carroll is meddling, he Doug Baldwin could make Jackson as good or better QB than Russell Wilson.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1acefsdf said:
I don’t get it either. I don’t think ADB said anything bad in that clip.

At times I think playcalling holds Russ back.
When they are not overly conservative and predictable in play calling he tends to move the ball and put points on the board.

I would like to see him get the “Peyton Pass” where the playcall is merely a “suggestion?”
I think Russ has earned that responsibility.
Try it for a season, if it doesn’t work you can go back to the old way.
100% agree. Don't wait until the 4th quarter to let Russ do his thing because they are playing from behind. Turn him lose from the minute he hits the field and stop being so dayum conservative.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1bxacx5t said:
You lack vision.

Mahomes looked like a total stud coming out of college.

Hes just getting started.

This is absurd. Mahomes had an awesome year with probably the richest group of talent around him on offense in the league, combined with bottom 5 defense last year and it will possibly be the best statistical year his entire career. Just because someone doesn't believe that pace is sustainable and wants to see at least another year, if not multiple more, to say they are THE BEST QB in the league, doesn't mean they lack vision. Was Watson the best QB in the league the year prior (in 7 games played his stats were ridiculous) and now all of a sudden he isn't, although he had a very good top 10 QB type year?

Some just want to see more and that is perfectly acceptable, especially for a player with one year starting under his belt.

Latest posts