Baker Mayfield: Seahawks most likely option

RiverDog

Reaction score
Geno's not a fit for any system. Reading this board lately, I feel like I have some disease where I'm the only person who saw that he was awful when he started.
I have a good friend that can't force his lips off Geno's behind. He'll make excuses for Geno like "oh, that fumble was caused by TJ Watt's incredible play" then cite Geno's performance against the 4-13 Jacksonville Jags as proof that he'd be heads and shoulders better than Russell if he were only given a chance. He'll ignore Geno's performances from early in his career, saying that it's too far in the past for us to hold it against him.

Geno is an average backup and being that we don't have hardly any QB's with experience in our offense and familiarity with our team, I wouldn't mind seeing us bring him back. But he's a known quantity and I don't want to waste the limited number of snaps another prospect like Lock, Eason, and whoever else we end up signing/drafting could use for us to evaluate what they can do.

The quarterback is perhaps the one position that is almost impossible to evaluate without live game snaps, and only one of them can play at a time.

JPatera76

Reaction score
This Geno? DK, Dissly, and the middle of the field show?

yeah when has Geno had the level of talent there is now ? umm.. dont think he has, and it was nice to see him hit the middle of the field.. AND RUN

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Just no..
I'd rather roll with Lock and wait till next year to draft a QB.
Baker is a slower Russ with a weaker arm.
You think the RW love/hate on board was bad?BM will up that.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Mayfield sucks ..plain and simple..wildly inaccurate throws and a bad attitude. No thanks. Stick to progressive commercials

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Throwing one in the dirt is exactly the pass I would throw in Mayfield's direction, with no chance for it to be caught or intercepted. I'm not a Lock fan but I view them as pretty much equals in skill level. We already have Lock, who has an immeasurably better attitude. If we're going to get another QB let's at least try to find one that is an improvement on what we have.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Lock has not been anywhere close to as good as Mayfield in their careers. Mayfield had a good first year, a bad second year and he was very injured all last year. He has in fact, shown competent QB play, and Lock has not. I don't think he is a future hall of famer, but if Pete wants to be competitive this year Mayfield is the path towards that. Not lock or Geno.
Nobody has traded for him because everyone knows the Browns screwed up and now HAVE to cut him so they are waiting till that time to sign him on a cheaper contract. My guess is he will be cut and signed some time after the draft.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Nobody has traded for him because everyone knows the Browns screwed up and now HAVE to cut him so they are waiting till that time to sign him on a cheaper contract. My guess is he will be cut and signed some time after the draft.
The Browns don't "have" to cut Mayfield, and there are some that think that they may keep him as an insurance policy, a possibility made more likely due to Watson's looming suspension:

The Browns might “make it work” with quarterbacks Baker Mayfield and Deshaun Watson both on the roster this coming season.

Cleveland general manager Andrew Berry hinted at keeping their full quarterback room, which also includes Jacoby Brissett, while discussing the situation at the annual league meeting Tuesday — noting that the Browns are in no rush to make moves “at the most important position in sports.”

CBS Sports’ Josina Anderson reported Tuesday that it’s “entirely possible” the Browns enter Week 1 this year with both Mayfield and Watson on the team.

chrispy

Reaction score
Browns will likely be required to eat some of his salary. I doubt any team would pay 18 mil and thus anoint him the starter before the draft. If the Browns cut him, they're on the hook for all of it so there's no reason to do that. He's useful to lots of teams if the price is right; even as a camp body or backup. It'll just depend on how much the Brown's have to swallow. That depends on how many teams actually want him and to what extent. That all depends on where the drafted rookie QBs end up. So this discussion is irrelevant until after the draft.

If Baker comes for next to nothing because the Browns cut him, or backup money and 2023 draft capital (trade and Browns eat most of his salary), most teams would take him on. If it costs 17 mil and he expects to walk into a starting position without competition, no one wants him. That will only have more clarity after the first few rounds of the draft, at the soonest. Mayfield and JimmyG are May 1 decisions.

I do like the idea of him leaning out of the Stadium asking Mariner fans to quiet down because he's trying to sleep though....

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Dan McGwire is the tallest NFL QB to ever enter the league with a 6’8 and 240 lb stature. He was drafted as the 16th pick in round 1 of the 1991 NFL Draft to the Seattle Seahawks.

Sources say "He never lived up to the expectations that come with such a high draft pick and was considered a bust."

RiverDog

Reaction score
Dan McGwire is the tallest NFL QB to ever enter the league with a 6’8 and 240 lb stature. He was drafted as the 16th pick in round 1 of the 1991 NFL Draft to the Seattle Seahawks.

Sources say "He never lived up to the expectations that come with such a high draft pick and was considered a bust."
Yeah, and Ken Behring forced the draft pick. Makes me appreciate what Paul Allen did for our team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Browns would be wise to hold onto Mayfield until they figure out if Watson is going to be suspended for all or part of the 2022 season.

I'm sure that's why he hasn't been traded yet. Now if a team bowls them over with a trade offer they can't refuse? I'm sure they'll pull the trigger.

That's why they structured Watson's contract so his 2022 cap hit is only a 1M, in case he's suspended and they have to keep Baker.

If I was Baker when Watson gets suspended? I hold out and refuse to come to camp until I'm traded with a new deal in place.

nwHawk

Reaction score
For this year, I’ll rock with Lock!!! Still need a back up. We will know after 6 weeks or so if Lock has a chance to continue past this season.

I have to admit I prefer his interviews to what we had in the past handful of seasons.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yeah, and Ken Behring forced the draft pick. Makes me appreciate what Paul Allen did for our team.
The way it was spun in the media available to me in Chicago (I was in college there at the time) was that the Seahawks wanted McGwire because the NFL's in-the-grasp rule was revised that year, and they were imagining McGwire shrugging off defenders like Roman Gabriel used to do.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
That's why they structured Watson's contract so his 2022 cap hit is only a 1M, in case he's suspended and they have to keep Baker.
I'll make a minor correction to this.

Watson's cap number this year is $10,028,000.

His salary is only $1M this year, so he loses less than $59,000 for each game he misses due to suspension.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here is an article on Mayfield from PFT.com

This situation is something that might still be in the works but the news of the day that QB- Geno Smith has reached terms with the team seems to indicate to the contrary.

Somehow I doubt this trade will ever happen, in this both Cleveland and Mayfield have handled this situation poorly.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The way it was spun in the media available to me in Chicago (I was in college there at the time) was that the Seahawks wanted McGwire because the NFL's in-the-grasp rule was revised that year, and they were imagining McGwire shrugging off defenders like Roman Gabriel used to do.
Here's an article that describes the situation back in 1991, the year we drafted McGuire:

Seattle Seahawks​

1991 NFL Draft, No. 16 overall: QB Dan McGwire

Seahawks coach Chuck Knox wanted to select Brett Favre. Seattle ownership wanted to select McGwire. Unfortunately for Knox and Seahawks fans, ownership prevailed, as Favre was eventually taken by the Falcons with the 33rd overall pick. McGwire was out of football by the 1996 season, the year Favre won a Super Bowl along with his second of three consecutive MVP awards in Green Bay.

Latest posts