Bailey

mrt144

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1h7wlbim said:
HawkerD":1h7wlbim said:
Northwest Seahawk":1h7wlbim said:
Largent80":1h7wlbim said:
Yeah, he had a fantastic whiff on Hardy that allowed him to intercept Russel's pass and if Russ hadn't gotten his ankles, he scores.

Wasn't Bailey playing Left tackle and wasn't the int on the right side, regardless I'll take Bailey over Britt period Britt wiffs 50 percent the time Bailey about ten percent of the plays so to me it's not close. Bailey played better than Okung does most games as well . We fundamentally disagree here .

You're not fundamentally only disagreeing with those on this thread, your are disagreeing with the professional coaching staff of the Seahawks. Yes you have an "opinion" but beware, "opinions" can be wrong. Why in the world would they be starting the current 5 if Bailey is better? They made changes when they thought things weren't necessarily working so they are not afraid to of change. Unless you honestly believe you are a better judge of talent than the staff or you think that the staff is sabotaging the team, your "opinion" doesn't make any sense.

this is flawed logic.

There are instances where a depth player gets a chance to play and once given that chance to play demonstrates is the better player and deserves the playing time.

Richard Sherman is a perfect example.

The idea that there is a perfectly efficient pipeline between talent and playing time is wrong, yes.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":50wo5i8q said:
kidhawk":50wo5i8q said:
hawknation2015":50wo5i8q said:
If Gilliam were the weaker player at the start of the season, then Bailey would have started. Period.

This sentence right here is why there is just no discussing this with you. Football experts will tell you that there are plenty of reasons that a slightly better player may not start over another player, but until you can believe in that possibility, trying to discuss the possibility is going to be fruitless

I'm not talking about other players . . . I am talking specifically about Bailey and Gilliam's performance in the preseason, and why the decision was made to get our five best starters on the field -- Bailey was clearly not one of those five players.

That is your opinion, but that doesn't make it fact. You are the one saying it is fact and that if it weren't Pete wouldn't have started gilliam unless he was better at the time.

You are not Pete Carroll, yet you claim to know why he made the decision he made without leaving room for any other possibilities.

I still contend that Bailey showed more in real games than Gilliam did and that there are reasons behind the scenes for why Gilliam got the start. You don't have to believe it, but please stop pretending to be all knowing in what the coaching staff thinks

Seafan

Reaction score
Hawks46":zvvmy6c1 said:
Northwest Seahawk":zvvmy6c1 said:
Largent80":zvvmy6c1 said:
Yeah, he had a fantastic whiff on Hardy that allowed him to intercept Russel's pass and if Russ hadn't gotten his ankles, he scores.

Wasn't Bailey playing Left tackle and wasn't the int on the right side, regardless I'll take Bailey over Britt period Britt wiffs 50 percent the time Bailey about ten percent of the plays so to me it's not close. Bailey played better than Okung does most games as well . We fundamentally disagree here .

Umm yea. That INT was left side, all on Bailey.

Regardless, Bailey is a fringe NFL talent. Which game was it where Gilliam got hurt, and Bailey came in and got beat like a rented mule ? You want to watch some textbook whiffs, watch that game. Bailey is terrible.

SMH at how you homers give RW a pass on everything. One of several bad passes by RW in the game.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":2vjparfw said:
That is your opinion, but that doesn't make it fact. You are the one saying it is fact and that if it weren't Pete wouldn't have started gilliam unless he was better at the time.

I am the one stating opinions as fact, huh?

Gilliam had zero business even being on the offensive line to start this season.

Prior to game 1 of the season, Bailey was the better game day offensive lineman between himself and gilliam. Of that there is no question.

LOL

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
The vetting process in the offseason has become abhorrent. After the first preseason game they moved Britt to LG, Gilliam to RT and benched Baily. Those are some serious moves. Why weren't these changes made sooner? This line looks like it's still at preseason level play.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":qstxk4aw said:
kidhawk":qstxk4aw said:

I am the one stating opinions as fact, huh?

Gilliam had zero business even being on the offensive line to start this season.

Prior to game 1 of the season, Bailey was the better game day offensive lineman between himself and gilliam. Of that there is no question.

LOL

Those are MY opinions. Is that concept so difficult. I'm not the one saying I know what the coaches are thinking. I stated my opinion on the play on the field. I also stated that I believe (again my opinion) that Pete and co. have other reasons for not playing Bailey. You are the one who says it can only be because Gilliam is better and won't see any other possibilities.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I like Bailey . I think we play pretty well when he is in our line up .

trying to judge our offensive line seems silly. To say that One guy is better then the next also seems silly. I feel like all the guys besides Okung , have there good moments and more often bad moments .

A few years ago I really thought Tom Cable was a genius , but now I think we hit a wall as a unit

crosfam

Reaction score
He is an inexpensive, decent back-up who can play multiple positions. Valuable, too a point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seafan":7mt12nvs said:
Hawks46":7mt12nvs said:
Northwest Seahawk":7mt12nvs said:
Largent80":7mt12nvs said:

Regardless, Bailey is a fringe NFL talent. Which game was it where Gilliam got hurt, and Bailey came in and got beat like a rented mule ? You want to watch some textbook whiffs, watch that game. Bailey is terrible.

SMH at how you homers give RW a pass on everything. One of several bad passes by RW in the game.

Well hell yeah!, Bailey's belly dive had nothing to do with Hardy hopscotching over his prone ass ,getting right in RW's face, and batting at the pass that Russell was trying to get rid of in a hurry because of Bailey's WHIFF.
Russell Wilson had two options on that INSTANTLY blown up play by Hardy, and that was to throw, or take the Sack.
Isn't it the O-Line's responsibility to pass protect?
Trying to blame Wilson for that Crap play by his Blind Side LT?...That's rich SMH.

Seafan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2hm4cszp said:
Well hell yeah!, Bailey's belly dive had nothing to do with Hardy hopscotching over his prone ass ,getting right in RW's face, and batting at the pass that Russell was trying to get rid of in a hurry because of Bailey's WHIFF.
Russell Wilson had two options on that INSTANTLY blown up play by Hardy, and that was to throw, or take the Sack.
Trying to blame Wilson for that Crap play by his Blind Side LT?...That's rich SMH.
[/quote][/quote]

Right in his face, huh? No he wasn't. Just look at the gifs in this thread, homer. It was a poor decision and throw by Russ. He had a lot more pressure in some of the other gifs and still got the ball out.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seafan":3frdexip said:
scutterhawk":3frdexip said:
[/quote]

Right in his face, huh? No he wasn't. Just look at the gifs in this thread, homer. It was a poor decision and throw by Russ. He had a lot more pressure in some of the other gifs and still got the ball out.[/quote]

It was a poor block attempt by Bailey which was compounded by a poor decision by Wilson to try to throw the ball over Hardy. Hardy made a great play by tipping the ball and catching it. At least, Wilson was heady in making the game saving tackle on Hardy.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I thought it was important to show these plays in conjunction because they did happen back-to-back. Wilson successfully got off the first throw with the pressure in his face allowed by Bailey. He faces that same pressure on the very next play, and Hardy just does something incredible: easily hops over Bailey after a poor attempt at a cut block, jumps in the air extending his right arm, deflects the ball perfectly, catches it, and then dives for another ten yards after the tackle.

RespectfulPlumpIrishwaterspaniel.gif

GorgeousAdeptGoose.gif

Kudos to Russell for making that first throw with pressure in his face and preventing the easy TD by Hardy. Not many QBs could have made that tackle on Hardy.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
You also have to take into account who Bailey is going against. Greg Hardy isn't an ordinary player. One of the best in the game. Bailey doesn't set his feet well. His shuffling is lacking and when he goes to put his hand on the rusher, he's already out position and the rusher has the angle advantage over him. This is why I think Bailey is a backup. He isn't as athletic as Okung and he isn't a "mauler" if he plays guard.

I mean, I'm not a coach but I've played offensive line, and you won't always win your matchup every single time but if your position is correct you'll win as well. He doesn't "square" up with the rusher and that allows him to get beat.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2fytlwi4 said:
Seafan":2fytlwi4 said:
Right in his face, huh? No he wasn't. Just look at the gifs in this thread, homer. It was a poor decision and throw by Russ. He had a lot more pressure in some of the other gifs and still got the ball out.

It was a poor block attempt by Bailey which was compounded by a poor decision by Wilson to try to throw the ball over Hardy. Hardy made a great play by tipping the ball and catching it. At least, Wilson was heady in making the game saving tackle on Hardy.
Bailey wasn't even slowing Hardy down, ALL DAY LONG, and yes, he was in his face, getting knocked down way too often, and that IS on..... >BAILEY <
Wilson TRIED to get the ball out as fast as he could, as he saw Hardy coming right at him clean and free of any obstacles.
ALL QUARTERBACKS throw balls that get tipped, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
It was NOT a bad pass, Hardy made a great play, Homer.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1dz3ierq said:
hawkfan68":1dz3ierq said:
Seafan":1dz3ierq said:

Bailey wasn't even slowing Hardy down, ALL DAY LONG, and yes, he was in his face, getting knocked down way too often, and that IS on..... >BAILEY <
Wilson TRIED to get the ball out as fast as he could, as he saw Hardy coming right at him clean and free of any obstacles.
ALL QUARTERBACKS throw balls that get tipped, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.
It was NOT a bad pass, Hardy made a great play, Homer.

I never said it was a poor throw...I said it was a poor decision by Wilson to try to throw the ball over Greg Hardy. Take a look at the video of the play again...Wilson was looking right at Hardy when he threw the ball. In my opinion it's a poor decision. Russ generally makes good decisions but in this case he didn't.

Largent80

Reaction score
Seafan":t3lmdjh4 said:
Hawks46":t3lmdjh4 said:
Northwest Seahawk":t3lmdjh4 said:
Largent80":t3lmdjh4 said:

So, you are blaming RW for Baileys lack of a block?....And were homers because you think it's Wilson's fault?...Take a look at the video proof above.

kearly

Reaction score
Bailey is one of the more frustrating OL this team has had in a long while. Just when you think he's putting it together he goes off a cliff, and just when you think you can write his career epitaph he has a nice game at LT.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":zzf68ist said:
Bailey is one of the more frustrating OL this team has had in a long while. Just when you think he's putting it together he goes off a cliff, and just when you think you can write his career epitaph he has a nice game at LT.

Bailey absolutely looks the most comfortable in his role as a backup LT. I just hope they do no count on him to start again next year if Okung is not re-signed. He is not physical at the point of attack, has a weak punch, and does not finish blocks. Even though Britt and Nowak were doing work, Bailey's lack of physicality was hurting us in the run game. Bailey does have good arm length and surprising agility for a man his size, but his shorter legs makes it difficult for him to shadow quick pass rushers and his lack of power makes it near impossible for him to corral the more violent rushers. I would be in favor of re-signing him to a near veteran minimum deal, as a backup LT, and I doubt any team will offer him a more serious contract.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Largent80":18a2smfb said:
Seafan":18a2smfb said:

So, you are blaming RW for Baileys lack of a block?....And were homers because you think it's Wilson's fault?...Take a look at the video proof above.
[/quote]
Is it possible that both guys failed on that play?