Back from the game!

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Unfortunately, I do not make too many games each year. Those I go to, invariably turn out fantastic, and this was one of these games.

First, I apologize for not making it to Temple Billiards to meet the gang that showed up there. The missus and I had a wonderful date, and the pre-game lamb sammich was beyond delicious. And now for my thoughts on the game.

The stadium was packed! I can't recall a game I've been to where there have been so many people - outside the stadium, inside the concourses, at the game. Masses of people. There wasn't even breathing room inside the Pro Shop before or after the game. We couldn't even squeeze into it before the game, and after the game it was so damned claustrophobia-inducing, we left after quickly discovering they didn't have a singled stitched jersey. My hopes of snagging a stitched Sherman were tepid at best, as they don't have them anywhere else, but the Pro Shop was no better. Guess I'll have to break down and do the dirty online. In the meantime, my original #84 Joey Galloway jersey was great luck. Even prompted a couple of "Who the hell was number eighty four?" questions. Heh. I did get a funny guy pull the ol' "Hey, when you throw that jersey in the wash, does it often slip from your hands?" Um, no, it does not. And your snark about Galloway's drops was duly noted and appreciated.

Mother Nature was supposed to open up the floodgates and drown us the second half of the game, but after raining before the game, and into the first half of the game, the skies opened up and it was a rather pleasant experience. By the time the game ended, things were mostly dry. The missus called it; she's a better weather prognosticator than the weather guessers.

We held back a ton in this game. It really felt like a preseason game, from start to finish. We seemed very vanilla for most of it, but there were times when it seemed we up and decided to march the ball down the field and score. Just before halftime was one of those times, and it was a thing to behold. I thought we might take the minute or so before halftime and sit on the ball, but no. We did not. That drive was a thing of beauty! And it wasn't the only drive that was.

Wilson was really in form today. Fun to watch. He's definitely keeping himself healthy, as apparent by going out of bounds with only a four-yard gain on his only(?) designed run instead of slamming into the guy for another couple. And also coming out of the game early in the third. We want him healthy and fresh, and so far so good. He didn't have a ton of yardage (202), but with four touchdowns, he was very efficient. And the pick he threw should have been caught from my vantage point. It banged off the receiver's hands big-time. Anyone with questions about Wilson at this point isn't really watching the games. He's in mid-season form. And his six TDs and two picks, well hell, I'll take that any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. That projects out to a 30-10 TD-INT ratio, which any quarterback in the league would be more than satisfied with.

Miller is back. He was quiet in the game, but had two clutch catches, both TD catches. I didn't notice his blocking, but then again, I don't notice that sort of thing a lot, especially when at the game.

Tate is electric! He had a bunch of completely awesome catches, and some tough running after contact. I don't know if the television broadcast adequately showed it, but his post-catch antics are a thing of beauty. He really plays the crowd. His "*muah, muah* thank you very much" kisses to the crowd after his biggest catch was hysterical. Had the crowd rolling and cheering at the same time.

This was a tale of two halves. The first half we were moderately loud, and scored almost at will. We were pretty sharp. There were number of really beautiful plays, and some outstanding scores. We had seats right on the field, in the opposite corner from where the 'Hawks come out onto the field, and just to the left of the 'Hawks Nest. Most of the scoring took place right in front of us, including Miller's second TD catch, Rice's jumping TD catch in the middle, Baldwin's sliding TD catch, and Jackson's run TD. I think that constitutes good luck.

The second half, sure, was a lot different, but two things were glaringly obvious from the start of the third quarter: the 12th Man was comparatively silent compared to the first, and we started subbing out our starters for the backups almost immediately. Sure, Jacksonville scored some points on us in the second half, but it was against a team largely comprised of backups. One thing that was wonderful was that I didn't even notice Jackson had been subbed in for Wilson in the second drive of the second half. As we were driving, I noticed #7 was in the game, and somewhere in the back of my mind, I wondered which running back was #7 as I didn't recognize him, assuming Wilson was still under center. I was all about celebrating Wilson's fifth TD pass until I was notified that it was Jackson behind center that whole drive. Why was that wonderful? Because I didn't notice a damn thing different in play. The transition was seamless to someone not paying attention. And that's a damned good thing with a backup quarterback. Jackson also finished with better numbers than Kaepernick, which was really the icing on the cake.

By mid-third quarter, almost all of the backups were in. As early as the third quarter, some of the other fans and I were marveling that Chancellor was the only starter left out there on the field on defense. Sure, they gave up yards, but if we'd have kept the first stringers in there, we'd have come close to a shutout, even with the turnover deep in our own territory. And even our backups were pretty solid. We held them to I believe 52 total yards at the half, and still finished giving up fewer than 300. And most of those yards were deep into garbage time in the fourth quarter.

The crowd was almost silent the entire second half. There wasn't much to holler about. We were up by so much, and really, there wasn't any reason to keep the pressure on. I was damned loud, but unlike most big games, I'll probably get my voice back a day or so earlier than next Thursday. I am pretty hoarse already, though, so you can be assured I did my part. Aside from some key third downs, the loudest the stadium got was upon seeing the San Francisco score. High fives were shared by all.

So yea, I'm not much of an X's and O'x guy. I'll comment on what I saw when prompted by someone else, but really I'm good for yelling my ass off and a whole lotta positivity. Seahawks positivity. And right now, there's plenty of that to go around. So many people on the bandwagon, I'm thinking we're going to have to requisition a few more Conestoga wagons to carry 'em all. Overall, I think we actually did play down to Jacksonville's level, and still thrashed them easily. We half-assed it though most of the game, played a bunch of backups a lot of the game, and still punished them. When we really wanted to punch it down the field and into the end zone, we did, and with ease.

At home, I'll eat my shorts if we lose this year. It's just too much. And San Francisco was probably the best chance of that happening. Sure, it could happen, but from what I've seen so far, it'd be quite the anomaly. And we have the talent to match anyone on the road. We just have to step up and do it.

Go 'Hawks!

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Funny about the preseason thing. My dad said the same thing when I got home before watching it on DVR.LOL

Hawkboi

Reaction score
Really good read!!! I'm in Boise and watched the game on TV, but reading this made me feel like I was there.... Thanks for sharing.... :th2thumbs:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Good read...disagree on the noise though. From where I was, it sounded pretty loud until about midway through the 4th. I remember being surprised people were still standing up, yelling

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
-The Glove-":1o7wk6sv said:
Good read...disagree on the noise though. From where I was, it sounded pretty loud until about midway through the 4th. I remember being surprised people were still standing up, yelling

Where were you? From down in the 100's in the corner, it was decidedly quieter than any home game I've been to, and doubly so from the second half on.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I think people want this defense to be historically good and giving up points in garbage times counts just as much as first half points. Maybe the crowd was still cheering for that.

grizbob

Reaction score
Now wait a minute, you gave up a pre-funk at Temple for a date with the wife?! You sir are whipped!! :mrgreen:

But seriously Sailor, sounds like a tremendous time was had :3: appreciate the sharing :th2thumbs:

The Radish

Reaction score
My "little brother" on the blue waters of the world tells a great story doesn't he?

Good job sailor, sounds like you and the missus had a great time.

:th2thumbs:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":i8fq1z07 said:
-The Glove-":i8fq1z07 said:

Where were you? From down in the 100's in the corner, it was decidedly quieter than any home game I've been to, and doubly so from the second half on.
I was up in 344

seanoob

Reaction score
Up in 301, people were up and yelling until around the 4th quarter when we were certain to cover the spread.