Avril looking to have a Great Year

Greenhell

Reaction score
The only Hawk I can recall as being faster off the ball was Rufus Porter.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":w6yxngcm said:
Greenhell":w6yxngcm said:
Ill take the strip skill of Avril over a Clamons spin move all day.
I understand your love for Avril. He's a good player. But let's not diminish how well Chris Clemmons played for us over the years. For several years he was the only one an offense even had to worry about when it came to a pass rush.

Avril never has been in that situation.

Oh I loved Clemons and the fierceness he brought. I agree, he was the first DE in quite awhile that Seattle had that was a true QB killa.

Avril gets his shot this year to prove he could pick up where Clemons left off.

drcool

Reaction score
If it matters at all Cliff Avril comes across as a very nice guy. I met him at an autograph signing a couple months ago and he was very happy to see someone in a Seahawks jersey here in his home town of Jacksonville. I talked with him for a couple minutes and he had some awesome things to say about the home crowd and how it is unlike any other crowd in the league. His wife was very nice as well and his 2 year old looks like a mini-Avril.

Yeah, it is a business and all that but if I were a GM or owner I would think it would be worth it to pay a "good guy" a bit more to keep him around. Not gonna go to the Ruskell level on that though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Avril was a HUGE signing last year, and a lot of what he brought to the table wasn't just in the stats. Pressure, forcing fumbles etc.

hawker84

Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can say Avril was anything but a huge playmaker for us all season and especially in the playoffs.

Clemons is the man and one of my favorites and would've loved to see him remain a hawk, but business is business , I don't think we lose a thing with Avril. And as quoted before, he a clutch playmaker stripping the ball or just causing pressure in the backfield as we saw on the Manning pick to Smith in the SB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Tical21":1qucdmi9 said:
Agreed. I'm surprised they didn't get an extension done already. I think if he's not signed soon, he's not coming back. He has looked pretty electric so far during the preseason. Losing him and Clemons in a span of two years could be pretty ginormous.
I don't see them just letting him go. They will offer something fair like with Bennett and it will be up to him from there. I think we have a good shot at extending him because he's been to Detroit already and knows what bad and irrelevant feels like.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone should make it a point to enjoy his play this year. With Mr. Wilson's contract on the horizon, chances are Cliff will be gone. Lynch could be gone as well....Just enjoy it this year.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Largent80":12ge8gto said:
Everyone should make it a point to enjoy his play this year. With Mr. Wilson's contract on the horizon, chances are Cliff will be gone. Lynch could be gone as well....Just enjoy it this year.
Lynch? That's a given but excuse me if I disagree with you about Avril. Wilson will get signed and it won't be for something ridiculous and the cap is going up big time so we will have a fair chance. Like I said it really is going to be up to what he wants more. If it's money I don't blame him but I won't just assume it.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
drcool":21bwfs2v said:
If it matters at all Cliff Avril comes across as a very nice guy. I met him at an autograph signing a couple months ago and he was very happy to see someone in a Seahawks jersey here in his home town of Jacksonville. I talked with him for a couple minutes and he had some awesome things to say about the home crowd and how it is unlike any other crowd in the league. His wife was very nice as well and his 2 year old looks like a mini-Avril.

Yeah, it is a business and all that but if I were a GM or owner I would think it would be worth it to pay a "good guy" a bit more to keep him around. Not gonna go to the Ruskell level on that though.

Nice post but it kind of makes me cringe.

Learning that Avril's Hometown is Jacksonville.

Jags would have the cap space to give him a big contract.

They are slowly trending upwards under Bradley and could see them at best being around 8-8. But with 1-2 Superbowl Rings in Avril's pocket, and about 30-something, money will likely take the most precedent.

Furthermore, Avril's 2 years in the Seahawks system, virtually removes most of the learning curve in the Jags' defense.

But again positives are if we have to lose any Seahawk players due to free agency + rosterbation, I rather those players find themselves in Jacksonville. AFC. We don't play them again in 2017. And anything that gives Luck more of a challenge is a good thing.

And as stated in my prior post, Avril is going to be a guaranteed 3rd Round comp which isn't a bad pay-off for a 2 year rental who has probably already out played his contract.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1skl3ywi said:
Largent80":1skl3ywi said:
Lynch? That's a given but excuse me if I disagree with you about Avril. Wilson will get signed and it won't be for something ridiculous and the cap is going up big time so we will have a fair chance. Like I said it really is going to be up to what he wants more. If it's money I don't blame him but I won't just assume it.

We also have JK Wright in a contract year, as well as Maxwell. I would say it will depend on how all of them play this year and if they can remain healthy. Wilson will get a very generous contract, there is no debate about that. Of course if he is amenable to structuring it for the team it may free more money, however,Avril was not extended, and he chose to play it out. That tells me he plans on beasting on the field AND at the bank, and why shouldn't he?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Largent80":lef8u8w1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":lef8u8w1 said:
Largent80":lef8u8w1 said:

We also have JK Wright in a contract year, as well as Maxwell. I would say it will depend on how all of them play this year and if they can remain healthy. Wilson will get a very generous contract, there is no debate about that. Of course if he is amenable to structuring it for the team it may free more money, however,Avril was not extended, and he chose to play it out. That tells me he plans on beasting on the field AND at the bank, and why shouldn't he?

I think if Wilson wins another Superbowl this year, he's definitely going to sign a team friendly contract that will keep his first 2-3 years relatively low around 12-15 mil before ballooning into the 25-30 mil range. Call it a gut feel but he's going to want to keep as much of this team together as possible when the team is entering its Dynasty window and he's already halfway towards his own goals of winning 4 Superbowls.

So we'll have to see what happens with Wilson because his contract and how the money is dispersed will be the key of keeping guys like Avril or Wright or Smith, etc. I think either way Maxwell is as good as gone. No way Seahawks can fit another 6 to 9 apy into 2ndary.

Big Question is do the Seahawks have to wait for the League Year to End before they can even begin negotiating
terms and numbers with Wilson or can they they start having small talks now and then finalize the deal once the season is over?

drcool

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":ohdvzyy2 said:
Nice post but it kind of makes me cringe.

Learning that Avril's Hometown is Jacksonville.

Jags would have the cap space to give him a big contract.

They are slowly trending upwards under Bradley and could see them at best being around 8-8. But with 1-2 Superbowl Rings in Avril's pocket, and about 30-something, money will likely take the most precedent.

Furthermore, Avril's 2 years in the Seahawks system, virtually removes most of the learning curve in the Jags' defense.

But again positives are if we have to lose any Seahawk players due to free agency + rosterbation, I rather those players find themselves in Jacksonville. AFC. We don't play them again in 2017. And anything that gives Luck more of a challenge is a good thing.

And as stated in my prior post, Avril is going to be a guaranteed 3rd Round comp which isn't a bad pay-off for a 2 year rental who has probably already out played his contract.

The football stadium at his high school is named after him, his foundation does a lot of youth football camps and family days, and with all the family ties I wouldn't be shocked at all if he ends up down here next year. Get enough ex-Seahawks on the Jaguars and I might even go to a game every now and then.

Latest posts