Audibles. How much leeway is Wilson given ?

xray

Reaction score
I've often wondered about this aspect but never really understood it or the parameters . evidently not all QBs have full control there. :?

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":1rxfljel said:
I've often wondered about this aspect but never really understood it or the parameters . evidently not all QBs have full control there. :?

I dont think any of know.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":1ui7xtzh said:
xray":1ui7xtzh said:

HUH?

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":15afdhx9 said:
McGruff":15afdhx9 said:
xray":15afdhx9 said:

HUH?

If you could please learn to read what I mean, and not what I type, it will be easier for all of us.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Are there stats for QB audibles ? IMO some of the most spectacular plays came from a QB audible .

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":3blrs1nl said:
xray":3blrs1nl said:
McGruff":3blrs1nl said:
xray":3blrs1nl said:

HUH?

If you could please learn to read what I mean, and not what I type, it will be easier for all of us.
If we could all " inhale life " like you it would be easier on us too.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He needs the “Peyton privilege” where the playcall from the OC is merely a suggestion.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
This has been a question of mine on here before..
I don't see RW using the audible when he clearly needs to.
As X says- spectacular plays have came from doing it.

John63

Reaction score
According to PC from a few years ago, unless we are in the hurry up, or uptempo, he is given 3 pays. 1 they want, 1 run and 1 pass that is all. He can audible but only to 1 of those 2 other lays. Now this was a couple of years ago but I have seen nothing that says that has changed.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he has several reads off which he can audible. Heavy box, Light box, Zone coverage, Man coverage. Once those reads are made he can audible out of the called play if its a poor matchup and into a better option.

Generally you are going to have a run play, man buster pass play or zone buster pass play available on every down. Russ has to try to get into those plays based on what his reads tell him.

I think he actually audibles a lot. You don't see them go up and just snap the ball. There's motion and pointing going on all the time as either a call switch or ruse.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1cckanxj said:
I think they keep him on a fairly short leash...unfortunately.

That's what I think too ; but who knows for sure . This seems like a very important aspect of the offense . I read that Arron Rodgers new coach is going to give him a lot of audible control . It makes sense that a top end veteran QB should have this . They have earned it . Wilson has certainly earned it . He is let off the leash usually late in games when he's behind on the scoreboard ; but Carroll appears to keep him under control most of the times . I have felt for years that Wilson's unique talents have not been used to the fullest.....Maybe this season ... :snack:

sutz

Reaction score
John63":czbch5z3 said:
According to PC from a few years ago, unless we are in the hurry up, or uptempo, he is given 3 pays. 1 they want, 1 run and 1 pass that is all. He can audible but only to 1 of those 2 other lays. Now this was a couple of years ago but I have seen nothing that says that has changed.
Actually, I think that is pretty standard around the league. The days of Johnny Unitas are long gone. No QB in the league has 100% leeway to call anything he wants to. Head coaches have a lot at stake and a lot of moving parts he's trying to control. And you don't get to be a head coach in the NFL without a whole lotta ego. They are all basically control freaks.

This is probably a question for Coach Schotty, since Pete is a bit hands off when it comes to offense. He has his general principles he demands his staff follow, but Schotty probably has some discretion. I doubt he's gonna give Russ a really loose leash except maybe in 2 minute drills and such.

I remember a quote from Holmgren that went something like, "Matt can change the call if he wants, but if he does it had better work." Most coaches probably think that way. ;)

McGruff

Reaction score
Part of the issue is that i think reading defenses is the weakest part of Russ' game. Especially when it comes to zone.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
John63":18wtp53z said:

That seems constrained ; but this is the point of this topic .

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
sutz":21rlrwef said:
John63":21rlrwef said:
Actually, I think that is pretty standard around the league. The days of Johnny Unitas are long gone. No QB in the league has 100% leeway to call anything he wants to. Head coaches have a lot at stake and a lot of moving parts he's trying to control. And you don't get to be a head coach in the NFL without a whole lotta ego. They are all basically control freaks.

This is probably a question for Coach Schotty, since Pete is a bit hands off when it comes to offense. He has his general principles he demands his staff follow, but Schotty probably has some discretion. I doubt he's gonna give Russ a really loose leash except maybe in 2 minute drills and such.

I remember a quote from Holmgren that went something like, "Matt can change the call if he wants, but if he does it had better work." Most coaches probably think that way. ;)

Most of this makes sense except ; how do we know that Carroll is hands off with the offense ? I wish that was the case ; but somehow I doubt that . :?:

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1cm3o2ah said:
Part of the issue is that i think reading defenses is the weakest part of Russ' game. Especially when it comes to zone.

Let me guess....who else don't you think can read defenses? Kyler, Lamar, Cam?

Sickening, Preach

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Audibles are less necessary in the modern NFL due to advances in the passing game.

A lot of play calls have a front side design to attack one defensive play call and a back side design to attack the other.

What becomes the "front side" of the play depends on what the defense is showing.

I'm sure Wilson can audible from pass to run and vice versa based on how heavy the box is, but what that running play is has already been predetermined by the formation their coming to the line in.

McGruff

Reaction score
I dont pretend to know why, all I know is that Russell routinely makes poor decisions.

I mean . . . Eat the Ball? Nanobubbles? Good Man Brand? Ciara?

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":22l5j9fe said:
I dont pretend to know why, all I know is that Russell routinely makes poor decisions.

I mean . . . Eat the Ball? Nanobubbles? Good Man Brand? Ciara?

So the Hawks make Wilson the highest paid player in the universe ; in spite of the fact he routinely makes poor decisions ? That doesn't make sense . They could get a rookie QB to routinely make poor decisions on a cheap contract . I think that most of the problems that Wilson has had for most of his career is directly attributed to an OL that Carroll assembles primarily for a run game . Hence the sacks and hurries on pass plays . IMO