Article: Russell Wilson a system QB

scutterhawk

Reaction score
themunn":2wwrn9a4 said:
system QB means that they only excel because of the system they are in, and couldn't play another system

Ask Tom Brady to do what Russell Wilson does and vice versa. Who do you think would be more successful?

Not to be argumentative, but, I doubt that Wilson couldn't be as astute with ANY "System" he throws himself into.
The "System" that he's mastering now has more facets, and therefore more options, but with the more options package, there comes more flexibility in the choices you can make.
This "System" is being designed AROUND Wilsons abilities, and those abilities aren't so easy to duplicate.
It's pretty easy to put a name on a system, but damned near impossible to explain for Wilsons speed of freelance thinking.
With his work ethics, and presence of mind, Russell Wilson will become the Master of HIS system.
Just adding a couple more playmakers to HIS system, the term "DANGERUSS" will take on even more meaning.
That blogger showed himself to be inept by trying to convince anyone who'll read that crap that he could TAKE AWAY from Wilsons' stats as an example to show that the player has already given his best, and the parimiters (sp) are set in stone, and nothing could be further from the truth...Ya gotta wait for the photograph to fully develop before you can see the picture.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Every QB these days is a system QB. Defenses are too complex for especially a rookie to run without playing into his strength. Funny thing is the Seahawks DIDN'T play into his strengths until they let him run some read-option plays in Chicago. And that was reportedly because players recognized that Chicago was playing it weak and convinced Pete and Bevell to run some.

Prior to that, Russell Wilson's playbook was limited and not suited to his strength. I can't tell you how enraged I was early in the season seeing so many empty backfield 4 WR sets on 3rd and shorts. He definately works better off play action, like almost all quarterbacks, especially ones that aren't throwing 35+ times a game.

Saying we ran a gimmick pistol offense the whole year tells me this idiot only started watching Russell Wilson when the media started to jump on how well he was executing once Bevell removed his handcuffs.

With top flight receivers, he wouldn't need to run the read-option at all. While the Pro Bowl is pretty much an exhibition game, he could gunsling with the best of them with proven receiving talent.

He's right, but not for the reasons he thinks he is, and not for the insult he thinks he's making. And the research (if any) he put into the subject borders on the moronic.

Mention Bruce, instead of our most prolific pass rusher in Clemons? Talk about our defense like it was playing in the Clink and stopping offenses regularly, except on the road we struggled something fierce to stop them.

chris98251

Reaction score
He is a great system QB, only problem is it's the WILSON SYSTEM, seperation by preperation, something the author should try sometime.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
We know Russ is a system QB. I think the question is which system? I mean does Russell Wilson run on windows 8? Rad Hat? Unix? or perhaps his operating system is some Paul Allen project that has yet to be released to the public?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
sutz":2nkw4je5 said:
Meh, the term itself was always meant to be demeaning. The implication being that pretty much any QB could step into that "system" and win a lot of games. Was TJ running the same 'system' last year? Well, kind of. Frankly, it's a moot point. Wilson is our QB and I'm glad.

:229031_shrug:

This is a good point because it is written by someone who could easily be a Niner fan and you are correct in asking the question, could any QB step in and do well? As well as how did the previous QB do.

Kaepernick is the poster child for system QB based on exactly what the term "system QB" implies.

PS: I don't obviously know if this guy is a 9er fan but I couldn't help but tie the points together and it seems to me if your going to tag Wilson as system QB and want to have any credibility at all then you really shouldn't ignore the most obvious case of a putrid QB who suddenly became good to very good only to be replaced by another QB who looks even better (in some ways) in a "system" that has yet to show even one bad QB.

This is what completely blew me away that a guy like Andy Reid would give up a 2nd round pick for Alex Smith even though his replacement looks just as good yet not nearly as cerebral. Seems pretty obvious the "system" is much more responsible for the QB's success than the QB's themselves.

kearly

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be surprised if the author of that article was old enough to vote. Came across as being very new to both football and analysis.

Axx

Reaction score
tom brady is a system QB to. lets see him win 8 games in cleveland

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Wilson is not a system QB. Wilson just may be the most dedicated to his craft however, which allows him to excel in any system he plays in. "No time for sleep."

jammerhawk

Reaction score

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Chuckles galore, both from the clown who wrote the article and by this clown who read it. Russell Wilson IS the system. It has been that way everywhere he goes. I'll bet Bevell gained half a playbook of new plays based upon Russell's improvisation and, later-on in the season, his input.

So far he's personally played and enhanced 3 different 'sytems,' so yeah, he's a multi-system QB.....or maybe just a speed-learning phenom that quickly adapts to and masters what he's given. Might also help that he lives in the film room.

I agree that the writer is most likely a Niners fan trying to rationalize.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1p0gx39g said:
WestcoastSteve":1p0gx39g said:
If Wilson is a system QB, why is he so much better than Jackson?
He isn't
Are you saying Wilson isn't better than Jackson or that Wilson is not a system QB?

Snohomie

Reaction score
The term system QB lacks a common definition. To me, it means a player that is dependent on a particular system to play well. Meaning, in another system, they'd probably fail. Hasselbeck is, by that definition, a system QB, because even in his prime there were real limitations to his game.

It is important to recognize that Wilson walked into a very good situation. Great defense, great running game, decent targets, and a coach who will adapt things for his players. It also helped that Seattle's offense has some elements from both Wisconsin and NC State. And there is great synergy between Wilson's strengths and the team's strengths. So Wilson walked into a situation that most rookies don't.

But I look at Wilson's skill set and I don't think he's capable of only running Seattle's offense. Physically, his only limitation is that short passes over the middle are less than ideal (If anyone has some data backing that up or refuting it, I'd love to see it. Just an observation). He can throw to all other areas of the field with ease, he's WAY better at executing the fake on play action than most QBs, he can drop back or take snaps from shotgun, he can roll out or stay in the pocket, and he can learn new offenses quickly. Under the definition I use, a system QB wouldn't be able to check all of those boxes. I think the author might have been trying to point out that Wilson walked into a great situation that most rookies don't get, but it wasn't a very clear or well written article.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
kearly":2ju7xeh0 said:
Honestly, I'd be surprised if the author of that article was old enough to vote. Came across as being very new to both football and analysis.

That was exactly my impression there Kearly. I work with Middle School students all the time and honestly, this blog post smacks of the kind of article that a Middle School student would write. If he's any older than 15, I'd be highly surprised -- very inexperienced regarding the NFL in general ... let alone to be able to analyze what he's seeing with any degree of accuracy.