Arizonas Dominance

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2wekapgp said:
The Cardinals dominated their division all season, and never even really got close to having to really fight for it.

And they made it to the Championship round, which is no small feat and something that any fanbase should be proud of.

There problems IMO were 1) getting hot at the wrong time (getting hot at the right or wrong time doesn't actually make a team better or worse, it's just chance), and 2) having the wrong injuries at the wrong time.

I think next year is probably their last decent shot to win a Super Bowl (and I feel bad for their fans about that), but they were easily the second best team team in the NFC this year, and I think any Cards fan would probably be right in arguing that if they didn't end up all the way down to starting 3rd and 4th string QBs last year they'd probably have had the best record in the NFC last year too.

Where they really struggled IMO, and where they should be focused on for the draft, is depth along the d-line and depth and a talent infusion at the LB position.

To me they're kind of like the Broncos, and I think it would be a mistake to be drating for the future at this point. Getting a window is tough as hell, and they should be solely focused on improving their chances within that window, which at most is two more years and is probably just next year. Deal with the future when it happens, IMO.

I think that this was their last realistic shot of winning the Super Bowl with this group and can't see them doing that well next year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Why?

It's not like they're really losing anybody they couldn't afford to keep if they wanted to.

Just that Palmer and Fitz are a year older? Meh. They're a pretty complete team, and in better shape going into next year than they were coming into this year IMO (huge jump for Mathieu, RB position now solved with Johnson, O-Line even better than expected with the additions, PP coming off his best season as a pro rather than his worst one).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13fvctn1 said:
^^^ Why?

It's not like they're really losing anybody they couldn't afford to keep if they wanted to.

Just that Palmer and Fitz are a year older? Meh. They're a pretty complete team, and in better shape going into next year than they were coming into this year IMO (huge jump for Mathieu, RB position now solved with Johnson, O-Line even better than expected with the additions, PP coming off his best season as a pro rather than his worst one).

The Cardinals have been one of the most successful, in terms of win-losses of any franchise in the NFL over the last 3 years. They will be right in the mix next year as well.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I've been on the record as a big believer in what Arians is doing in AZ and picked them to be the Seahawks primary obstacle to the division championship the last two years.

I don't see their streak continuing. I think the competition for 1st place in the NFCW next year will come down to Seattle and LA.

LA is going to treat AZ like their chew toy, just like Carolina did last night, except with more of a ground-based attack.

Next year, the NFCW will come down to whether Schneider/Carrol/Cable/Bevel can implement an effective solution to the pressure that LA brings as I believe the head to head with them will determine who sits atop the division.

- bsd

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigskydoc":xzgbhg09 said:
I've been on the record as a big believer in what Arians is doing in AZ and picked them to be the Seahawks primary obstacle to the division championship the last two years.

I don't see their streak continuing. I think the competition for 1st place in the NFCW next year will come down to Seattle and LA.

LA is going to treat AZ like their chew toy, just like Carolina did last night, except with more of a ground-based attack.

Next year, the NFCW will come down to whether Schneider/Carrol/Cable/Bevel can implement an effective solution to the pressure that LA brings as I believe the head to head with them will determine who sits atop the division.

- bsd
Fisher's mediocrity aside for the moment, the ONLY way L.A. takes the step you think they will is if they get a real NFL QB. How are they going to do that? Unless they stumble upon the next Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft, what's out there to get them from 7-9 to 10-6 or 11-5?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3ihmlwus said:
Fisher's mediocrity aside for the moment, the ONLY way L.A. takes the step you think they will is if they get a real NFL QB. How are they going to do that? Unless they stumble upon the next Russell Wilson in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft, what's out there to get them from 7-9 to 10-6 or 11-5?

I doubt they get one of the marquee quarterbacks in the first round. Even if they wanted to, I doubt they could trade up far enough to do so. My guess is they address their other weak area with the first pick and take the best offensive lineman available.

Should Wentz fall to the second round, I could see them taking him there. I could see Vernon Adams in a later round or picked up if he goes undrafted. Obviously there is no guarantee with either one, but I do think they would do well when combined with Gurley.

I doubt anything worthwhile will be available in free agency. Probably the best free agent is Osweiller, but I feel like Denver is going to lock him up.

I've heard Peyton's name tossed around, but I don't see him agreeing to work behind the Ram's current line.

I could actually see Kaep having success there if SF would trade him to a divisional rival or they cut him outright. RGIII? Manziel (if he can convince them that he is purposefully torpedoing his career to get out of Cleveland)? Teamed up with Gurley, any of the three would look better than they have in the past. Not the long-term, franchise answer, but good enough to get them into the mix and allow them to spend capital on other facets while they wait for a franchise QB to show up.

That being said, my prediction that the Rams finish second place in the NFCW has more to do with what I think will happen with Arizona next year than that I think LA will make great strides. Small improvements from LA will be enough to pass up the Cards, and with just a little luck, I think they will be competing for the top spot in the division.

We have to beat these guys next year.

-bsd