Arizona and Seattle

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Arians is a prick, so I hope we win. Should be a good game!

kearly

Reaction score
ClutchDJ":poeaagx7 said:
Isn't Lane just now coming back next week? I've read from other Seattle fans(even what Sgt. Largent noted on the first page) that he might not play so he can shake off the rust/get back into football rhythm.

All I know is that he's practicing. Kind of a big game coming up wouldn't you say? I'd be surprised if a healthy Lane is held out, though Pete has done stranger things in the past.

kearly

Reaction score
ringless":5d2zlhwo said:
http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/11/deep-dive-arizona-cardinals.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HawkBlogger+%28Hawk+Blogger%29

I feel like this lines up with how I feel for the most part in some of our Defensive stats being misleading etc on NFL.com And in regards to DVOA . I think it's a fair piece and a Seattle one to boot.

I think Arizona having a strong DVOA is more than fair if just looking at the statistics. They are on pace to have a bigger scoring differential than the 2013 Seahawks.

That said, the truest definition of a contender is how they stack up against other good teams. Contenders at least hold their own against winning clubs, while pretenders feast on bad teams to prop up a shiny record and balloon their stats.

The Cardinals are 6-0 against teams that currently own losing records, and 0-2 against teams with winning records. Seattle is 4-0 and 0-4. Though at least in Seattle's case, they owned 4th quarter leads in all four losses, and in three of the four they built massively large win probabilities before blowing them in epic fashion.

So I don't think Seattle is a true pretender, and neither do I think that of Arizona (only 2 games against good teams, it's too small of a sample size) is one yet either. But I would say both teams are on the cusp of 2015 pretender status right now.

Arizona has always had some struggles against good teams but are still well coached with some nice players, so far 2015 just seems to exaggerate how good they are at beating up bad teams. And Seattle is in a transition year offensively, though that doesn't explain the wtf-meltdowns in the 4th quarter of their biggest games.

Ultimately I think Arizona wins the division unless Seattle snaps out of it offensively coming out of the bye. I also think Seattle needs to sweep AZ to have a chance, though I think they are capable. Wilson is 4 and 2 against AZ, his four wins ass kickings and blowouts, his 2 losses by the skin of his teeth. I respect AZ but I always feel comfortable when Seattle plays them, much more so than the Rams.

themunn

Reaction score
ringless":3mgf9pnv said:
themunn":3mgf9pnv said:
Arizona haven't beaten a team Seattle lost to this year (yet).

In fact, their 6 wins this year have come against teams who are a combined 14-35

Granted, our wins have also been against terrible teams.

But our 4 losses have been close until the end of the 4th quarter in every game and have come against teams who are a combined 26-4

Yes - we haven't looked impressive in the wins either, if anything we've arguably been more impressive in the 4 losses than in the 4 wins. However, what it suggests is that we're probably better than our records suggest, and that Arizona aren't necessarily as good as their record suggest (though perhaps they are - after all, you can only beat what's put in front of you)

Well in saying that we haven't played Cinci, GB, or Carolina so the sample size there is pretty small. If you compare teams we've played I think the picture looks a little different. What that statement says is, AZ hasn't beat the only team we've played in common (Rams) that Seattle played.

It's not like AZ wasn't close in the Rams game or Steelers game their. At the end of the game we had a shot to win both of those with under two minutes to play. At the end of the season we will have played 14 games in common though.

But AZ at the same time has been much more dominating in their wins.

And it's not like Seattle wasn't close in their losses either - they led in the 4th quarter of all 4. That's the point I'm trying to make. Both teams are probably a lot more evenly matched than their records and performances suggest.

Yes, Seattle struggled against Detroit and Arizona smashed them, but 26-0 and 20-3 against the other two common opponents count as dominating victories too - it's never easy to stop an opponent scoring a TD, I suspect only 2-3 teams have managed it twice this season as Seattle have.

DJrmb

Reaction score
This is going to be a Huge game and I'm praying that the 12s show up and show out for this game. Lets do our job for this team and remember that we Can actually effect the play on the field! I hope some of those that normally sell their tickets will decide that this game is more important than the $.

That said I'm very confident in the Seahawks going forward actually. We are in no way out of the race for the division and I fully expect this team to start gelling as always in this second half of the season. The defense has already shown signs in the last few games and the offense doesn't need to get that much better if the defense keeps on it's current trajectory. However I fully expect Russ and co to start connecting on some of those explosive plays which is the biggest missing element on offense IMHO. This Seahawks team is a lot better than what a lot of people realize and if any of our future opponents underestimate in the slightest they will be in for a big surprise.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":xl30glod said:
........This game is going to tell us where we truly stand this season. Lose and we'll be lucky to be a playoff team. Win and we might be back in the running.
Could not agree with this statement more. In fact, I say if the Hawks lose, there will be no playoffs for Seattle.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
@Curtis_Crabtree 10m10 minutes ago
Cornerback Jeremy Lane officially returned to practice for the Seahawks today. They have until Nov. 24 to add him to 53-man roster.

@DavisHsuSeattle 10m10 minutes ago
all we want is Lane back for PIT

@bcondotta 14m14 minutes ago
That means he can practice with team for up to three weeks and then be activated to 53-man roster or put on IR for rest of season.

I think Lane could be a huge piece if active this Sunday just because he did well against Brown last year. Although this is a different year with a different QB, and completely different offense so it's hard to say.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":h9m7ts6d said:
SalishHawkFan":h9m7ts6d said:
........This game is going to tell us where we truly stand this season. Lose and we'll be lucky to be a playoff team. Win and we might be back in the running.
Could not agree with this statement more. In fact, I say if the Hawks lose, there will be no playoffs for Seattle.

Unfortunately I can't help feeling the same way. Not simply because of the opponent and potential record, but how a loss would reflect on the mental make up of the team.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1zm4z5dk said:
hawksfansinceday1":1zm4z5dk said:
SalishHawkFan":1zm4z5dk said:

Unfortunately I can't help feeling the same way. Not simply because of the opponent and potential record, but how a loss would reflect on the mental make up of the team.

I agree on this. A loss would tend to confirm that there is definitely a lack of urgency and maybe desperation in this team.

It's not a stretch to come to the conclusion that there is something tangibly missing in this team this year. The words in player interviews kind of ring hollow this year. I see the same interviews and it just doesn't look like we really believe what we're saying. This team doesn't have that edge of 2013. And it took a rather herculean effort to recapture it late last year. This year it just seems to be eluding us entirely.

A loss here pretty much leaves no doubt even in the most delusional fan that this year is a lost season in our championship window. Basically losing every single game to a team likely to make the playoffs. Which stinks because we've been unfairly lucky with injuries.

This year there is no edge to this team. Maybe we need a down year to really get that back from the opening gun.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In two weeks, I predict a three-way tie in the division at 6-4. Arizona will be looked at as on the decline, and St. Louis will be viewed as the new threat. Then St. Louis will probably drop a couple games to return to .500.

Seahawks are in good shape moving forward as long as they continue to improve every week.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Williams-Floyd matchup is concerning. Arizona definitely has a huge advantage there. Sherman will be on Fitz. As for John Brown, I suggest they put Bruce Irvin on him and tell Bruce to drop Brown's ass on the ground at LOS. Similar way the 2005 Seahawks countered a speedy receiver name Steve Smith with Kevin Bentley in the NFCCG. A fast receiver has no speed when his butt is planted to the ground.

NBC chose this matchup wisely for SNF....it's the best game in week 10.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
hawkfan68":389rh772 said:
The Williams-Floyd matchup is concerning. Arizona definitely has a huge advantage there. Sherman will be on Fitz. As for John Brown, I suggest they put Bruce Irvin on him and tell Bruce to drop Brown's ass on the ground at LOS. Similar way the 2005 Seahawks countered a speedy receiver name Steve Smith with Kevin Bentley in the NFCCG. A fast receiver has no speed when his butt is planted to the ground.

I was hoping Laloosh would do some kind of breakdown of how he expects the coverages to go this game on a strength on strength matchup. How each can exploit each other. I asked too much, but the answer is always no unless you ask.

I am guessing Lane wont be ready then?

The other thing is is Larry has been turned into a Slot WR, while Brown will often be out wide in our 2/3 WR sets. 4 He'd be on the inside however we run a lot of 4 WR sets. But on 2/3 that means you have Sherman in the slot in that scenario.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2d8ohqme said:

I don't really worry about Floyd on Williams. I worry a lot more about Brown.

Laloosh

Reaction score
That offense is legit. Palmer's been money with the timing routes on 3rd down and they actually did a pretty good job of keeping STL's defense guessing from play to play. They really mix it up.

I think they'll try to take a shot early. Arians is a cocky SOB and I think he wants to be the guy to hand Seattle their first blowout at home in a long long time. Not to mention they got bent over at home last season.

They seem to like that 2TE look early to establish the run and from there they mix it up really well. Their receivers can block, they have a decent offensive line that Palmer helps immensely by getting the ball out pretty quick.

Defensively, I don't think they're that great. I'd actually run right at Calais Campbell. They know we can't run to the right so I'd just combo block the shit out of him and take what you can get as often as you can. Wish we had Carpenter in a Seahawks jersey this week.

I'll be interested to see if Bevell sticks with the 2TE formations and quick passing game or if he tries to get cute. If we can establish the run, I think Luke Willson has a big day in the middle of the field. Graham might get a lot of targets but I think Luke has the big plays. If we win, I think Lynch probably averages three and a half Y/A and we grind out a 19-17 win or something to that effect.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xqskcsw said:
I don't really worry about Floyd on Williams. I worry a lot more about Brown.

When Arians took the heat for sitting Brown the other week, my immediate reaction was that Arians was ensuring Brown's availability for the Seattle game. I think Brown's overall talent is over-rated but I do think he has what it takes to beat Seattle deep a couple times, so getting pressure on Palmer will be very important.

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
@SheilKapadia 2h2 hours ago
Seahawks going back to Patrick Lewis at center. Will be key against ARI defense that blitzes 44% of the time, 2nd-most, per @ESPNStatsInfo.

Why switch now? Is this a Pass blocking issue? Who was the one with off target snaps?

Laloosh

Reaction score
ringless":wn6g63xw said:
Seahawks going back to Patrick Lewis at center. Will be key against ARI defense that blitzes 44% of the time, 2nd-most, per @ESPNStatsInfo.

Why switch now? Is this a Pass blocking issue? Who was the one with off target snaps?

I think it's more of a power issue. Nowak tends to get bullied by physically talented interior tackles. Not sure about others but that would be my opinion.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
ringless":2rhjk9w7 said:

I think it is because Lewis has faced the Cardinals before, IIRC, and did ok with the tons of blitzes they run.