Appears many are bailing

Crizilla

Reaction score
Good
Looks like a lot of our hold overs either don't fit, don't want to be in an unknown situation with the new staff or Mac's reputation of a worker may be taking away the country club environment Pete had here. Just know we have not seen this many guys leave in a long time.

Yes they got big deals and we could not have kept all of them, but on day one seeing this many sign elsewhere is unusual in the last 14 years.

Definitly a different vibe going on at the VMAC.
Good. Pete's thing wasn't working anymore, at all.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
I thought Diggs still played well but he's expensive and the Ravens haven't put a huge emphasis on safety position in a long time.
The Ravens drafted Kyle Hamilton in the 1st in 2022 and he is very possible the mvp/central player on their defense, not to mention a 1st team All Pro. Our safeties were overpaid and underperforming.

Regarding them and the rest of the players who have left, it's called addition by subtraction.

Last edited:

mistaowen

Reaction score
The Ravens drafted Kyle Hamilton in the 1st in 2022 and he is very possible the mvp/central player on their defense, not to mention a 1st team All Pro. Our safeties were overpaid and underperforming.

Regarding them and the rest of the players who have left, it's called addition by subtraction.

Sure but he wasn't really used as a traditional safety and MM has already said Spoon will likely play that hybrid role. Year 1 Hamilton wasn't anything special, they carved out a unique role for him and he absolutely thrived. I'm excited to see what Spoon can do all over the field.

OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
Sure but he wasn't really used as a traditional safety and MM has already said Spoon will likely play that hybrid role. Year 1 Hamilton wasn't anything special, they carved out a unique role for him and he absolutely thrived. I'm excited to see what Spoon can do all over the field.
True, never seen a guy play three or 4 if we go true 3/4 LB roles and two safety positions and Nickel and one corner at the same time, Seahawks better load up on Gatorade, dude is going to be thirsty coming off the field. :)

nanomoz

Reaction score

The MVP of the defense is Roquan Smith and any assertion otherwise should be met with, "go home, you're drunk."

Hamilton is certainly good. And kind of a chess piece.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Lot of rumblings Pete thought team was close to competing for a SB, leadership (JS too?) didn't. I'm probably in the not actually competing camp. This team looked like a JV squad against elite teams, especially on D. New scheme, new voices, new vision. Lewis got a crazy overpay, TE's are a dime a dozen. I thought Diggs still played well but he's expensive and the Ravens haven't put a huge emphasis on safety position in a long time. Adams is unfortunately likely on his way out of the league with all the injuries.

Excited to see some of the pieces fall into place next couple days. I don't think they're punting this season by any means but I do get the sense they are looking to clean up the books and start the build up towards an actual run. Which means emphasis on strong drafts and young/cheap talent while filling in leadership as needed (like Williams getting a pay day). I hope more of this freed up cap space goes to both lines.
Lol. Pete and the eternal optimism that a defense that allows 37 yards a carry could get to the divisional round😂

Parallax

Reaction score
Pete went away from his "winning model" one shiny object at a time; overpaid Russell; overpaid too many free agents, traded away draft picks for in-season rentals, sucked at drafting for several years, and "always compete" got watered down.
The beginning of the end was the Max Unger for Jimmy Graham trade. The Percy Harvin trade undercut the team but trading a solid guy like Unger for a guy they had no clue how to use was Pete at his finest.

The Hawks managed to acquire talent at a record rate early in Carroll's tenure. That's what led to his early success. He was never a great on-field coach or great strategist (when it came to game plans, drafting rookies, resigning vets or acquiring free agents).

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
Lot of rumblings Pete thought team was close to competing for a SB, leadership (JS too?) didn't. I'm probably in the not actually competing camp. This team looked like a JV squad against elite teams, especially on D. New scheme, new voices, new vision. Lewis got a crazy overpay, TE's are a dime a dozen. I thought Diggs still played well but he's expensive and the Ravens haven't put a huge emphasis on safety position in a long time. Adams is unfortunately likely on his way out of the league with all the injuries.

Excited to see some of the pieces fall into place next couple days. I don't think they're punting this season by any means but I do get the sense they are looking to clean up the books and start the build up towards an actual run. Which means emphasis on strong drafts and young/cheap talent while filling in leadership as needed (like Williams getting a pay day). I hope more of this freed up cap space goes to both lines.
Yeah, we rarely played well against good teams these last few years, which is why I never got excited about fighting for the last wild card. If you're fighting for the last wild card spot you're really not even close to surviving the gauntlet and winning the Lombardi.

I'm not worried at all about players leaving. Keeping the same players means keeping roughly the same record. We need new guys who fit the new system and won't be causing any locker room issues. I don't think the "surfer dude Pete" attitude actually helps a football team, and if any of these guys are leaving because they wanted a relaxed atmosphere then good riddance. I want players who expect to perform up to expectations and win games.

I don't think the Hawks are tanking the season by any means, but they won't be a real playoff team by giving out a bunch of big contracts. We will be drafting our stars or we will suffer in mediocrity.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of our hold overs either don't fit, don't want to be in an unknown situation with the new staff or Mac's reputation of a worker may be taking away the country club environment Pete had here. Just know we have not seen this many guys leave in a long time.

Yes they got big deals and we could not have kept all of them, but on day one seeing this many sign elsewhere is unusual in the last 14 years.

Definitly a different vibe going on at the VMAC.
Let me ask you this, who have we lost of value? Brooks is the only one you can argue, but even then Carroll declined his 5th year option when he was here in Seattle. Brooks is overrated here by most fans. He's not bad, but he's also not great. At times he showed flashes, others he was a giant lability. Quite frankly he was a player that didn't fit what MacDonald wants to do on defense.

Under Carroll, the Seahawks propped up a team that quite frankly wasn't any good. Carroll seemed to believe that we were close to being able to compete for a Super Bowl. The results? Carroll ended up being fired. We traded for big name players, only to have most of those trades end up in massive failures. In addition to that, we went out into free agency last year and massively stretched our salary cap to the max. Last season was Carroll going for one last hurrah and betting massively on the future of the Seahawks with more short term oriented moves. We kept propping up a team that desperately needed a reset. The last time this team was truly competitive with the big boys in the NFL was 2016.

Seattle is now going through a regime change. With that usually comes purges. Especially when the HC in question is running a defense that is a great deal more complicated than the ones we ran in Seattle under Carroll. Many of the guys we cut, or didn't pursue in FA are players that are either mediocre, decline or don't really fit what we want to do. This is par for the course.

Parallax

Reaction score
I'm down with this analysis. I'd add only that Parkinson was a guy I'd have liked to have signed, as I could see him becoming something special. But not at any price and if we could just afford to resign one, Fant is the guy with the most talent. Not the most production last year but let's see what Grubb can do with his skills.

BASF

Reaction score
The absolute absolution of our star quarterback, who had just lost us a Super Bowl, asking for more weapons in regards to the Graham trade is one of the weirdest things on this board. It was a direct result of the interception in that Wilson wanted better red zone threats. We threw the ball to Ricardo freaking Lockette for Pete's sake.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
So far - other than Parkinson really - all I see is cuts that needed to be made being made and guys leaving for the money and taking paydays bigger than what they were going to get with the Seahawks.

The business side of this coinciding with a complete coaching purge and change in direction might look like something that it really isn't.
How many of those payday guys are going to be getting their deals restructured in a year's time?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chris98251

chris98251

Reaction score
The absolute absolution of our star quarterback, who had just lost us a Super Bowl, asking for more weapons in regards to the Graham trade is one of the weirdest things on this board. It was a direct result of the interception in that Wilson wanted better red zone threats. We threw the ball to Ricardo freaking Lockette for Pete's sake.
That's what is funny, we never used Grahams height, we never used Bobo's or any other 6'7" receiver in the End zone as a target due to height advantages, it was always outs and corner fades mostly, only time we used the middle regularly was typically 10 yds. to 20 yds out.