Anyone Else Think the #12 "Fan" Jerseys Are Dumb

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
chris98251":6fsol4if said:
therealjohncarlson":6fsol4if said:
I'll take it one step further. I just don't think it's lame, I think it's crafty and borderline predatory marketing.

"Hey you guy are Seahawk fans right? Why not be part of the this cool 12th man fan group! Here's all you need to do. Buy our ridiculously overpriced jerseys and other clothing! Now do you feel part of our team?"

Call me a cynic, call me money obsessed whatever, but I just can't get over the very obvious fact that the whole 12 craze is the team trying to basically coerce us into making us feel part of something that we really aren't.... in order to sell us merchandise

You could not be more wrong, having been here from the beginning the team showed it's appreciation for the fans, retiring the number and making the jersey available in honor of the 12th man.

Well I can't be wrong, because what I stated was an opinion for why the fan base does what it does. But I appreciate and respect your point of view. And realize it will likewise be the opinion of most on this forum.

Smoke

Reaction score
I play for the hawks in the stand, my number is 12 andI am a fan. just calling a spade a spade.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I wouldn't rock with one cuz i think it's cheesy, but if that's your thing then do you.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Why in the hell does anyone care what anyone else might be wearing?

If you think a 12 FAN is cheesy, don't wear one. Problem solved.

If you like the 12 but not the FAN, drop some coin. Problem solved.

If you think wearing a jersey with another man's name on it is dumb, don't. Problem solved.

A

Anonymous

Scottemojo":1bpic7mk said:
Why in the hell does anyone care what anyone else might be wearing?

If you think a 12 FAN is cheesy, don't wear one. Problem solved.

If you like the 12 but not the FAN, drop some coin. Problem solved.

If you think wearing a jersey with another man's name on it is dumb, don't. Problem solved.

There you go again, Scotte.

Trying to inject logic and resolution into things.

:mrgreen:

soxhawk

Reaction score
12 jerseys are cool, but something just doesn't look right with the 'FAN' on the back. Maybe if it said 'FANATIC' it would look better? Or something clever regarding the ability to induce earthquakes...

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
I've got a personalized jersey with "Blow Me" on the back (had to craft it myself). Quite the conversation starter.
Also, whenever someone throws crap at the Hawks, I just turn around .

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather not have any name at all on the back of my jersey. I'm 50 years old and wearing something with another man's name on the back seems a bit weird but I do it anyway. I've thought about removing the name panel myself but would likely screw up the jersey in the process.

I just want a Seahawks football jersey, period. There are also certain numbers I like, no matter who the current player is. 16. 24. 28. 32. 33. 45. 80. 83. 85. 88.

Greenhell

Reaction score
pehawk":1y5kxfnt said:
For whatever reason it feels reminiscent of wearing a coco-cola hat or John Deer cap.

This.

This topic has been discussed in years past. While I'm a fan of the 12 on the jersey I wouldn't buy one because it says "fan" on the back. I'd customize a 12 jersey with my last name on the back if I were buying one.

Greenhell

Reaction score
marko358":1j17w3qn said:
I ordered one from what turned out to be a Chinese knock off site. Says flan on the back of mine.

Flan? Well it is a pretty good dessert. LOL.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 429

Bryce84

Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever consider wearing one, to me it feels too self-celebratory. I do understand the ones that do from the perspective of owning a jersey number that will never expire though. Doesn't bother me to see people wearing them, it's just not for me.

Greenhell

Reaction score
I have a Hawk jersey customized with an obscure number #44. When was the last time a player, who made the roster, wore the #44??? I think I'm pretty safe.

Currently have a #24, #31 and #25. I think I'll have gotten my monies worth when these players decide to retire.

BigMeach

Reaction score
The great thing about what my jersey says is it's my jersey. Worry about yourself.

JonRud

Reaction score
I have a grey #12 FAN jersey. I admit I do not love the FAN nameplate.

However I do get a lot more wear out of this jersey than I did with my #84 HOUSHMANDZADEH that I bought in 2009. So at least a #12 jersey lasts forever.

chawx

Reaction score
Currently, I have an away 12 with my last name on it, a home 29 pre-"III" and a wolf grey alt 3. I had a Largent and Boz as a kid, an 8 that I got in 2004, a 29 Thomas in the older (gorgeous) lime green alt that I had my son wear to his football practice once and took a pic and Earl re-tweeted it (it was his rookie year, I felt pretty awesome lol), and a random custom #70 CHAWX in the old school style. Why? Because why not?

I think my next one will be a platinum 24 IF we extend the guy and hopefully have him retire a Seahawk.

Luckily I never bought a Percy, Curry, Houshmanzadeh, Flynn, Browner jerseys - which goes back to the OP's question. No, I don't think a 12/FAN is dumb, I think buying one of those previously mentioned "hot" free agent guys numbers is dumb. I think if budget is limited, a 12 FAN is perfect and I would never call anyone wearing one dumb or corny. (I do think if you're ever seen in public wearing an #80 Rice jersey, you should be drawn and quartered.)

SirTed

Reaction score
When I was growing up, I thought it was super lame.

But I was wrong. It's awesome. It's our identity. I mean, I wouldn't be pissed or anything if they started making the jersey without "fan" on the back, but I think it's cool as is.

jkitsune

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":35jzb29m said:
I'll take it one step further. I just don't think it's lame, I think it's crafty and borderline predatory marketing.

"Hey you guy are Seahawk fans right? Why not be part of the this cool 12th man fan group! Here's all you need to do. Buy our ridiculously overpriced jerseys and other clothing! Now do you feel part of our team?"

Call me a cynic, call me money obsessed whatever, but I just can't get over the very obvious fact that the whole 12 craze is the team trying to basically coerce us into making us feel part of something that we really aren't.... in order to sell us merchandise

You could extend this line of reasoning to all team-related merchandise for all franchises in the history of sports. No reason to single out '12.' Look how much people pay to wear the logo of their favorite multi-million dollar franchise all across the country.

Dang3Russ

Reaction score
I purchased a 12 Home Jersey this year and wasn't sold on the "Fan" nameplate at first, but then it grew on me. Like many have mentioned, it's nice having a jersey with a number that will never be traded, request to be traded, or leave. I bought a Sidney Rice jersey earlier this year during the offseason as he re-signed, but then shortly after I received it he retired. I ended up purchasing a wolf grey Wilson and a away Lynch jersey that I will have no issues wearing after they are long gone as they will be immortalized with the other Hawk greats.

It's not about the name or number on the jersey, it's about the jersey you are wearing and as long as it's Seahawks colours, that is all that matters. To each their own as every has their own style and taste. For those who are bothered seeing "fan" or 12, then you got some sort of issues because that's just the way the world works.

The Seattle Seahawks organization is awesome, especially ownership from Nordstrom to Allen. We are very lucky to be given our own number. They really do treat the 12s as part of the team. What other NFL club does that???

#GoHawks

DericLee

Reaction score
Let's see, past four player jerseys I purchased superseded injuries every time, where the player never had another meaningful season with our team.

So now I ONLY buy 12 jerseys. Who care if one random fan out there gets an ACL tear.

That is how I roll.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I like the 12 jersey. If you can't decide on a player it is for sure the way to go.

I currently sport 24/25/31 at this time, but I also like bringing out old ones from good players. I do have a Largent, Trufant, Tatupu and my all time favorite Kennedy which is preserved.