Any way to turn off the Latest Posts feature?

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'd reeeeally like to not have political crap on my screen at all when I come to my favorite football forum. The latest posts feature always puts it right there in my face. If there was some way to disable the Latest Posts, I would love to know about it.

sutz

Reaction score
Patience grasshopper. It's the offseason. Once training camp and the season come around the subject of "latest posts" will change a lot.

notyou

Reaction score
Patience grasshopper. It's the offseason. Once training camp and the season come around the subject of "latest posts" will change a lot.
That doesn't fix the problem.
Blue Talon, I've been asking for this option since the forums were updated.

Msfann

Reaction score
I would rather not see it either, it shoves politics in your face when you come here to escape them.

What might work best is to see if there was a way to disable it on just the shack and politics forum like BlueTalon suggests. Then it would work great and we could still use that feature to see sports stuff.

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
What if you blocked those who use that forum the most? Would that work?
It wouldn't solve the problem of politics being unavoidable, it would just make the posts of people I block unavailable.

I'd like to be able to have a discourse with people about the Seahawks, and engage them as fellow fans, without knowing anything at all about their politics. It's one way to find common ground with people who might otherwise be on the other side of a ginormous unbridgeable chasm from us.

MesquiteHawk

Reaction score
It wouldn't solve the problem of politics being unavoidable, it would just make the posts of people I block unavailable.

I'd like to be able to have a discourse with people about the Seahawks, and engage them as fellow fans, without knowing anything at all about their politics. It's one way to find common ground with people who might otherwise be on the other side of a ginormous unbridgeable chasm from us.
Makes sense

steak

Reaction score
I would also like to see this feature. As a long-time lurker, I understand my 2c doesn't count for much around here. The sheer hatred, bigotry, name-calling, etc. that has been going on in the politics forums has me wondering if this is a community I want to keep engaging with in all honesty. It has been getting worse over the last few years, but recently it seems like it has really gotten out of hand, and having those threads presented foremost on the latest posts block really takes this away from being a Seahawks forum.

flv2

Reaction score
You can block the right-hand sidebar by adding:

Code:
www.seahawks.net##.p-body-sidebar

...to your personal filters in uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus if you have those, (or similar) add-ons on your browser. This will remove the sidebar and leave an empty space on the screen. Originally the XenForo software default set-up had an option to remove the sidebar completely and have forum posts use the space. However, the site owner decided to remove that feature and he does not plan to reinstall it. It's his forum and it's a perfectly reasonable decision, especially with an intention to add adverts at some future point in time.

flv2

Reaction score
...on a side note I haven't seen much of Shaggy either here or at Hoop.la of late. I hope he, (and family), are ok.

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You can block the right-hand sidebar by adding:

Code:

...to your personal filters in uBlock Origin or Adblock Plus if you have those, (or similar) add-ons on your browser. This will remove the sidebar and leave an empty space on the screen. Originally the XenForo software default set-up had an option to remove the sidebar completely and have forum posts use the space. However, the site owner decided to remove that feature and he does not plan to reinstall it. It's his forum and it's a perfectly reasonable decision, especially with an intention to add adverts at some future point in time.
I tried that using Adblock. It didn't work for me.

flv2

Reaction score
I tried that using Adblock. It didn't work for me.
For Firefox:

Using Adblock Plus: click on the ABP browser logo/icon - click on the settings icon - click on Advanced - copy what I put in the coded box - paste it into the My Filter List box - click Enter.

Using uBlock Origin: click on the UO browser logo/icon - click on the Open the dashboard icon - click on My Filters - copy what I put in the coded box - click Enter on the lowest empty space on the list, (to create a gap from other items) - paste it into the lowest empty space on the list - click Apply changes.

The same uBlock Origin procedure works on Edge.

(y)

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
For Firefox:

Using Adblock Plus: click on the ABP browser logo/icon - click on the settings icon - click on Advanced - copy what I put in the coded box - paste it into the My Filter List box - click Enter.

Using uBlock Origin: click on the UO browser logo/icon - click on the Open the dashboard icon - click on My Filters - copy what I put in the coded box - click Enter on the lowest empty space on the list, (to create a gap from other items) - paste it into the lowest empty space on the list - click Apply changes.

The same uBlock Origin procedure works on Edge.

(y)
I use Brave, which is (as I understand it) based on Google Chrome architecture.

(By the way, if you didn't already know this, Brave does a wonderful job of reducing/eliminating ad videos on YouTube.)

flv2

Reaction score
I use Brave, which is (as I understand it) based on Google Chrome architecture.

(By the way, if you didn't already know this, Brave does a wonderful job of reducing/eliminating ad videos on YouTube.)
For Brave:

Using uBlock Origin: click on the Extensions logo/icon - click on the uBlock Origin - click on the Open the dashboard icon - click on My Filters - click Enter on the lowest empty space on the list, (to create a gap from other items) - copy what I put in the NEW coded box below - paste it into the lowest empty space on the list - click Apply changes.

Code:
www.seahawks.net##.node-extra

I haven't used Brave before so I don't know if this will have any other unintended consequences. In theory this will just move the Latest posts to the bottom of the page. You can then remove the Latest posts entirely from the page by adding the original...

Code:

...code on another line of the uBlock Origin My Filters list.

Shaggy

Admin/Owner
Administrator
Reaction score
Seriously, we need a way to disable that feature, or limit the forums that appear in it. Something. Please!

I believe there is away to remove the lasted post to certain forum sections that you don't want to see in your profile. I have never done it (or no one has really asked) so I will look into it.

schkoot

Reaction score
Another vote to remove the side bar or allow users to decide what forums it populates latest posts from.

OP
OP
BlueTalon

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I believe there is away to remove the lasted post to certain forum sections that you don't want to see in your profile. I have never done it (or no one has really asked) so I will look into it.
PLEASE tell me you've made some progress. Really, all I want is to never see posts or thread titles from Politics or Shack when I'm perusing the football side. That can't be that hard to arrange. I don't actually mind the side-bar being there, as long as what's in it is football related.

Seriously, does anybody looking for football conversation want to see "Liston-up gay members" [sic] prominently on their screen? I'm betting content like that drives some people away. It certainly makes me limit my time here.