Any legs to this?

NINEster

Reaction score
With respect to the OP, I think certain things can be done if you're careful about it.

If you have a super tight relationship with a player, then you could probably set up an investment or business with a good family member of his and keep it quiet.

Another possibility is if a player is nearing the end of his career in a few years, you could promise them a business or something.

The much maligned DeBartolo did exactly that for Jeff Fuller in 1989, except it wasn't to circumvent the cap or anything -- he suffered a career ending injury and wanted to make sure he would be financially taken care of since he was never a high paid star player nor was there any guaranteed money waiting for him.

If it weren't for having to pay taxes on luxury goods, you could just give players houses and cars to supplement income.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Brady really isn't the best example for this discussion. He is open to contract restructuring and team friendly deals because his financial situation is unique due to his marriage.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2vkra0qd said:
Brady really isn't the best example for this discussion. He is open to contract restructuring and team friendly deals because his financial situation is unique due to his marriage.
I understand Giselle makes tons of money, but I don't know if I buy that Tom's just feeling privileged and taking one for the team. Maybe I'm just cynical. In any event, it does matter in giving the Patriots an extreme advantage in roster manipulation. When Brady retires, it's not just his talent that's going to be missed.

OP
OP
Siouxhawk

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
NINEster":2sd89f9z said:
With respect to the OP, I think certain things can be done if you're careful about it.

If you have a super tight relationship with a player, then you could probably set up an investment or business with a good family member of his and keep it quiet.

Another possibility is if a player is nearing the end of his career in a few years, you could promise them a business or something.

The much maligned DeBartolo did exactly that for Jeff Fuller in 1989, except it wasn't to circumvent the cap or anything -- he suffered a career ending injury and wanted to make sure he would be financially taken care of since he was never a high paid star player nor was there any guaranteed money waiting for him.

If it weren't for having to pay taxes on luxury goods, you could just give players houses and cars to supplement income.
Thanks NINEster. As you said, a lot of gray areas where malfeasance could be gained. I wonder if the NFL has a division that even monitors and investigates this? And here's another question: Do owners have different degrees of importance when balancing the on-field success of their team vs. how much profit their team is making them? You always hear about guys like Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder and Robert Kraft, they all obviously have a competitive edge to them, but how about guys like Spanos and Rooney? Or the WIlfs in Minnesota who seemed more concerned about developing properties around their new stadium? They all hire Goodell to ensure a competitive advantage, but I wonder if some of them really care as long as the status quo is being met and they're making their millions?

Foghawk

Reaction score
Osprey":kw89be2e said:
Siouxhawk":kw89be2e said:
And I don't necessarily mean to pick on the Patriots. Any team with an overzealous and ultracompetitive owner could be suspect.

Pretty sure the Pats have admitted to doing business with a company that Brady co-owns. If I recall correctly it's a training and nutritional consulting service so a great way to move cash to a player with little overhead on the player's side.

"Consulting Firms" have been used to funnel private and public funds for decades.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Maulbert":2gnw3qxz said:
5_Golden_Rings":2gnw3qxz said:
chris98251":2gnw3qxz said:
I think the 49ers did that and we seen what happened to De Bartolo and Carmen Policy.
No they didn't. There was no need as there was no salary cap at the time. As soon as the cap was started the dynasty started falling apart.

BULLSHIT!

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...salary-cap-violations-carmen-policy-penalties
That was in the 90s, genius, long after the 49ers Dynasty had started to crumble. Furthermore, it was alleged by John York EXACTLY in the middle of the very volatile battle between Debartolo and his sister (wife of John York).

"What happened" to Debartolo and Policy with respect to those allegations was pretty much nothing. I think the 49ers paid like a 300,000/3rd/5th pick settlement rather than the possible 2 million dollar fine and first round pick (as no solid evidence could be found). What was accused was that Brent Jones forgave a bonus which got paid to him under the table. No evidence of that occurring was found beyond John York's conveniently timed allegations. But again, that was what, 1997? Years after the core of the 49ers dynasty was put together and had already began to fall apart.

Debartolo lost the team because of his FELONY, not because of any of these accusations by York.

http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/ ... 986872.php