Any Chance?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bostonhardo":1wnrau2q said:
hawknation2015":1wnrau2q said:
bostonhardo":1wnrau2q said:
Will they get to Brady on 3rd down by blitzing or with a 4 man rush?

Mostly with a four man rush. Avril and Bennett are the fastest down linemen off the ball that New England has faced this year. Nate Soldier and your RG will have their hands full with those two.

But they will also mix it up with Irvin and Schofield, who are also very fast off the ball. In addition to the occasional blitz by Wagner and Wright. This is the Patriots' greatest weakness, IMO. It also happens to be one of our strengths, so you can count on a dedicated game plan to get after Brady in obvious passing situations.

Can't agree with you there on strength weakness. Since the 4th game of the season the O-line pass protection has been a strength. Buffalo (twice) , Detroit and the Ravens a few weeks ago are very good pass rushing teams who were very ineffective.

The problem with your examples is those teams lack down linemen who are as explosive off the ball as Bennett and Avril. Brady's quick decision making and release are your greatest advantages in pass pro. But to a man, your offensive line has disappointed throughout the year. One source (PFF) rates them as the 2nd worst pass blocking offensive line in the league this season: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ankings/2/

How is Nate Soldier going to match up against a speed rusher who gets off the ball faster than anyone on our entire defense (1.50)? Compare that kind of speed to explosive outside pass rushers like Mario Williams (1.60) and Dumervil (1.65).

Last year, people didn't think they would be able to penetrate the Broncos' very good pass blocking OL. That prediction didn't work out too well for them.
5443802 orig

OP
OP
B

bostonhardo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":x7s02aup said:
bostonhardo":x7s02aup said:
hawknation2015":x7s02aup said:
bostonhardo":x7s02aup said:

Mostly with a four man rush. Avril and Bennett are the fastest down linemen off the ball that New England has faced this year. Nate Soldier and your RG will have their hands full with those two.

But they will also mix it up with Irvin and Schofield, who are also very fast off the ball. In addition to the occasional blitz by Wagner and Wright. This is the Patriots' greatest weakness, IMO. It also happens to be one of our strengths, so you can count on a dedicated game plan to get after Brady in obvious passing situations.

Can't agree with you there on strength weakness. Since the 4th game of the season the O-line pass protection has been a strength. Buffalo (twice) , Detroit and the Ravens a few weeks ago are very good pass rushing teams who were very ineffective.

The problem with your examples is those teams lack down linemen who are as explosive off the ball as Bennett and Avril. Brady's quick decision making and release are your greatest advantages in pass pro. But to a man, your offensive line has disappointed throughout the year. One source (PFF) rates them as the 2nd worst pass blocking offensive line in the league this season: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ankings/2/

How is Nate Soldier going to match up against a speed rusher who gets off the ball faster than anyone on our entire defense (1.50)? Compare that kind of speed to explosive outside pass rushers like Mario Williams (1.60) and Dumervil (1.65).

Last year, people didn't think they would be able to penetrate the Broncos' very good pass blocking OL. That prediction didn't work out too well for them.
5443802 orig

We will have to agree to disagree. He'll get hit a few times in the first half and then be clean in the second. That's my prediction. I think Seatlle was 20th in sacks and Pats were 4th best in sacks allowed. Not a worry as a Pat fan. See you after the game.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
It has been discussed in many threads on the board.

I could see the Pats winning if they can put a few things together:

1. Run effectively, consistently
2. Shut down Seattle's run
3. Keep Brady clean in the pocket
4. Get the ball to Gronk down the seam, and he breaks tackles
5. Keep Wilson contained in the pocket
6. Maintain coverage when that doesn't happen
7. Cheat like hell if they have to :shock:

The hard thing for NE; doing enough of those things well enough...tall order.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
bostonhardo":3pa1b7q7 said:
We will have to agree to disagree. He'll get hit a few times in the first half and then be clean in the second. That's my prediction. I think Seatlle was 20th in sacks. Not a worry as a Pat fan. See you after the game.

Rushed throws are almost as good as sacks if they stop drives. Brady, like many of our opponents this season, has shown more of a willingness to get rid of the ball quickly, even it it means ending the drive, rather than stand in the pocket and risk getting hit or taking a sack.

If you look at pass rushing productivity and total pressures, the Seahawks are a Top 10 team. Bennett and Avril are each in the Top 10 in total pressures.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
There are two things that I think are key for the Pats to beat the Seahawks, and it's very possible that they could happen.

1. Pats O-line keeps Brady clean. As long as Brady has time to throw and can find open receivers for short gains, that's a boon to the Pats offense. Last year's SB really started to snowball when Avril and Co. started getting more and more pressure on Manning.

2. Pats D keeps Lynch under 4.0 YPC and shuts down multiple 3rd and shorts. While Wilson CAN beat an opponent with his arm, the play action looks work better when Lynch is a viable threat.

And I think the Pats have to do both of those things, not just one. The Broncos kept Lynch in check very well last SB, but we all saw how it ended up turning out.

I will say that I think Belichick is a fantastic in-game coach, and that I expect this to be far more of a challenge on that level than any game we've played this season.

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2vst9zyn said:
bostonhardo":2vst9zyn said:

I completely disagree with avril and bennet being the fastest downhill lineman. I mean if you aren't counting 3-4 guys like kc and den or bal. I would say clay and peppers are better pass rushers ass well. Tho most of these other Im talking about are useless against the run where avril and bennet are great

Reaneypark

Reaction score
To win, Pats have to force the Hawks O into third and longs, win turnover battle and protect Brady so he has time to pick apart the Hawks' secondary.

Rex

Reaction score
bostonhardo":3kuwmzjl said:
Having carefully read many posts from all the extremely knowledgeable Seahawk fans articulating the Hawk invincibility I have one question. Is there any possibility that the Hawks could lose? If so what would the Pats have to do?

No the Seahawks can't lose. However the Cheatriots can steal another win by cheating and with their accomplices the officials. They've done it many times before.

Rex

Reaction score
bostonhardo":1i7kxvhu said:
Having carefully read many posts from all the extremely knowledgeable Seahawk fans articulating the Hawk invincibility I have one question. Is there any possibility that the Hawks could lose? If so what would the Pats have to do?

No the Seahawks can't lose. However the Cheatriots can steal another win by cheating and with their accomplices the officials. They've done it many times before.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Strongarm2399":1tx67tps said:
hawknation2015":1tx67tps said:
bostonhardo":1tx67tps said:

I completely disagree with avril and bennet being the fastest downhill lineman. I mean if you aren't counting 3-4 guys like kc and den or bal. I would say clay and peppers are better pass rushers ass well. Tho most of these other Im talking about are useless against the run where avril and bennet are great

Just a correction, I said "fastest down linemen off the ball." By down linemen, I was excluding most 3-4 OLBs, including Clay Matthews. And I didn't mean "fastest downhill," I meant fastest off the ball. Avril and Bennett both have freakish quickness off the ball that should give the Patriots' offensive line fits.

Strongarm2399

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":1pl6159j said:
If you want people backing you up, post in a patriots forum board...

I'm not looking for people backing me up. I'm here to interact with the Hawks fans that can give me more re insight into their thoughts. Lots of people are knowledgeable on here and have good insight. It's nice to hear intelligent counter point of views

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
There's one intangible with this Hawk's team that New England hasn't seen this year, and didn't see against us when we topped you in 2012; this team is special on the big stage. In prime time games, with the super being the biggest of that kind, of course, the Seahawks are a whole different animal. Wait and see.

This isn't to say you have no chance. Of course you do. The Patriots are a great time, cheating aside. Your coach knows how to handle the day-to-day better than any I've seen. You'll be ready to play in a way that Denver wasn't last year. You have more than a shot and you know it. I don't know why you're angling for more, but you won't get it from me. I can't say I respect the Patriots, but I acknowledge their accomplishments. You've made it impossible not to.

I have the Seahawks taking it, because to be honest, I don't think you're prepared nor fully comprehend what's coming out of the opposing tunnel come Sunday. I'm anticipating a shellshocked New England Patriots team.

Seattle 31, New England 20.

Polaris

Reaction score
bostonhardo":20ovsyvp said:
hawknation2015":20ovsyvp said:
bostonhardo":20ovsyvp said:
You like Browner better than me. All I've seen is him either taking a PI or getting beat on double moves. I just hope they give him help.

This is what may happen if Browner covers Luke Willson:
SparklingUnconsciousDavidstiger.gif

You might be right. Pretty impressive Cardinal team hanging with you that long with a 4th string QB and 3/4 of their starting defense wiped out.

We know Browner probably better than you Pats fans do given that he was a member of our secondary for so long. Here's the hard truth of the matter: Browner lost his starting job to Maxwell who was not only better but less prone to draw DPI and holding calls.

Browner is good, but he relies too much on being physical on the LOS, and our receivers all know Browner and his weaknesses very well indeed......esp Angry Doug Baldwin.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
I'll take it as a serious question. If Patriots beat Seattle, it’s because they took a lesson from the first half of the Packers game and will box in Wilson forcing him to throw out of the pocket, and they need to stop Lynch and Turbin from running it down their throats. The Patriots by half time will have to have a comfortable lead. But the Seahawks watched that same game film and learned from it themselves, and will not fall out of character again so easily. Then the Patriots will have to outscore the Seahawks in the 2nd half where during the regular season the Hawks outscored their opponents 102 to 20, showing that again at the Packers game. That will be a very tough challenge for Brady.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bostonhardo":3vjpa2qq said:

Of course there's a chance.

This is not going to be a repeat of last year. The Bronco's had a soft defense, a soft O-line, weren't physically or mentally tough.........and a bafoon for a coach.

The Patriots have a good defense (not great but good enough to give Russell trouble for stretches of the game), a good O-line but most importantly one of the greatest coaches of all time that can scheme like a mother.

What do the Pats have to do? Hold Russell and Lynch in check in order to keep the score under 17 or 20 pts. because the Hawks D just doesn't give up over 20-24 pts often, and certainly not against the type of offense the Pats run. They're 10-0 against the "elite SB QB's" over the past three years.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
bostonhardo":yoh4jmge said:

Nope, no chance. Pats are going to get destroyed in this game. Deep down, everyone knows it...