Am I the only one that isn't enamored with Gruden?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
BigBill1945":2vbabq71 said:
I think this was a big mistake by both Gruden and Oakland. Gruden had it going as a commentator. He could continue on forever with a great salary and great security. If he cannot revive the Raiders then what? Job security is not looking so good. I think paying that kind of money over that many years is a risk that could really come back to bite the Raiders. This guy has not coached for years. His overall record is not that impressive. That being said I think he is a great color commentator.
Agreed.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
BigBill1945":1lpj4n4s said:
I think this was a big mistake by both Gruden and Oakland. Gruden had it going as a commentator. He could continue on forever with a great salary and great security. If he cannot revive the Raiders then what? Job security is not looking so good. I think paying that kind of money over that many years is a risk that could really come back to bite the Raiders. This guy has not coached for years. His overall record is not that impressive. That being said I think he is a great color commentator.

I think Gruden will be ok financially.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Who is better Gruden or Holmgren?

Holmgren won a superbowl in Green Bay and took us to one.

Both coaches have been out of the game for a while.

You'd probably get Holmgren at a fraction of what you paid Gruden.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
He’s a likeable guy, has a great knowledge of the game, and has built on that knowledge from interviewing players and coaches from every team from the comfort of his MNF trailer for years.

I think that his time with ESPN, coupled to his previous experience, will impact the Raiders in a positive way.

I believe it is a good match for the Raiders.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":215dcat0 said:
I mean I dont get it, he has been linked to every opening college or pro for years, and he's now coming back to Oakland.

I just don't get it, sure he won a superbowl in tampa, but that team was built and dominated by the defense in which Gruden had nothing to do with. The years after the superbowl he never found the franchise QB, his record was middling, and he never got back there with that defense.

I just don't get it.....

I don't get it either, but to be fair the year he won the Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's team, he played the team he had been with the previous four years that he had a hand in building.

Seafan

Reaction score
Every successful HC in the NFL has found the franchise QB. If you don't you won't last. Gruden won the SB his first year but couldn't find a young stud to build his offense around but not for not trying. He shouldn't have that problem with the Raiders.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Seafan":1xp9k013 said:
Every successful HC in the NFL has found the franchise QB. If you don't you won't last. Gruden won the SB his first year but couldn't find a young stud to build his offense around but not for not trying. He shouldn't have that problem with the Raiders.

Carr is not a franchise QB.

HansGruber

Reaction score
It was funny listening to Chris Simms talking about it the other day. Gruden ruined that kid's career and almost cost him his spleen. He said in an interview that gruden will micro manage Carr, and to look out.

Chucky was fun to watch back in the day but was terrible at developing quarterbacks and only a mediocre coach. When people here were hoping we'd hire him after Holmgren, I puked in my mouth a little. His reputation is a bit unwarranted.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":wg5dr6rc said:
10 mil a year is a mistake for Gruden? Heck no, no way in hell anyone would say no to that contract.

No you are correct. Financially it is a great deal. I do not think if I were Davis I would have done this deal. But that is just me. If this turns out to be a bust then you now have to share the pie with Gruden. Great deal for Gruden but questionable for Davis. If Gruden makes them successful then this is a moot point.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Am I the only one that isn't enamored with Gruden?

Looks like this group is going to get a bit larger with Gruden hiring Cable.

Count me in.

Latest posts