After the game

morgulon1

Reaction score
I have a few quick thoughts and would like to see others as well..

* I understand people wanting Seattle to draft a quarterback but I think we have a
Pretty good first rounder who has been through his tough times and came out the other side mature , confident and a leader. I'd love to have him a few more years .

* This last year's draft . Could it surpass
Any other Seahawks previous? Only time will tell but damn .

* The defense looked like they were going to make sure SD didn't run on them. They have a pretty nice RB too. I think they made some small adjustments and made sure people knew to be in the right spots. They didn't get gashed all game long line they did in SF. Nice to see #51. Cool

* These guys are still going to have moments and games that have us scratching our heads and gnashing our teeth but I feel like we're playing with house money .

* This has a real genuine team feel to it
That seemed to be lacking the last 5 years... Hmmmmmm 😏 I wonder why?

Sorry I couldn't resist .

camdawg

Reaction score
I have a few quick thoughts and would like to see others as well..

* I understand people wanting Seattle to draft a quarterback but I think we have a
Pretty good first rounder who has been through his tough times and came out the other side mature , confident and a leader. I'd love to have him a few more years .

The nice thing about Geno, if we can sign him to a new deal that doesn't break our cap, is we can be smart in the draft. There's a lot of interesting prospects, but none of them are worth a top five pick to me. Bryce Young at Alabama is a really little guy without Kyler Murray's running abiiity. CJ Stroud is another Ohio State quarterback - Justin Fields, Dwayne Haskins, etc - they never seem to pan out in the NFL. Is Will Levis at Kentucky the guy? What if Hendon Hooker at Tennessee keeps playing well? He's a guy that's going to shoot up in the draft if he keeps playing this well.

But there probably isn't an Andrew Luck, Joe Burrow, Peyton Manning level prospect. If we can keep Geno, we don't have to make a desperation trade to get the #1 or #2 pick in the draft to take a Young or Stroud that might flame out.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
The nice thing about Geno, if we can sign him to a new deal that doesn't break our cap, is we can be smart in the draft. There's a lot of interesting prospects, but none of them are worth a top five pick to me. Bryce Young at Alabama is a really little guy without Kyler Murray's running abiiity. CJ Stroud is another Ohio State quarterback - Justin Fields, Dwayne Haskins, etc - they never seem to pan out in the NFL. Is Will Levis at Kentucky the guy? What if Hendon Hooker at Tennessee keeps playing well? He's a guy that's going to shoot up in the draft if he keeps playing this well.

But there probably isn't an Andrew Luck, Joe Burrow, Peyton Manning level prospect. If we can keep Geno, we don't have to make a desperation trade to get the #1 or #2 pick in the draft to take a Young or Stroud that might flame out.

The prospect of using the two first round picks at someplace other than QB gets really intriguing

If what we've seen is who Geno is going to be over the next 3-5 years, the Seahawks could draft some studs for some of our other holes and really, REALLY be good.

I still think they need depth at QB and Geno may end up demanding a pretty penny, so lots to consider

OP
OP
morgulon1

morgulon1

Reaction score

This.

Get this defense to elite level , go with a 1-2 punch running game and you can absolutely win with #7.

It's funny how national experts talk about teams playing defense, run the rock and limit turnovers.

Isn't that all Pete talks about !?? WTF

And if I hear "game manager " again I'm going to shit my pants . Of course, all QBs should manage the game . TB12 manages the game.

The key IMHO is turnovers and 3rd down efficiency. Those 2 will normally tell you whether your team won or not. Of course not every time , but most all the time.

Donn2390

Reaction score
The prospect of using the two first round picks at someplace other than QB gets really intriguing

If what we've seen is who Geno is going to be over the next 3-5 years, the Seahawks could draft some studs for some of our other holes and really, REALLY be good.

I still think they need depth at QB and Geno may end up demanding a pretty penny, so lots to consider
No doubt that Geno is going to get paid somewhere, but I think he wants to be here. Pete went after him in the off season when the midget was still here and Geno was a free agent. He was paid a lot under the circumstances (Worst qb in the NFL) and P&J had the ultimate faith in him by not going out searching for another qb when the world was telling Pete he had to go find a decent qb. Pete putting that kind of faith into a has been bench warmer will certainly pay dividends when when they sit down to talk.

strohmin

Reaction score
Nope still need to look to the future. Need to draft a QB but dont need to trade up.
Maybe Drew Locke will take the Geno route and study his butt off to understand the game and take over after Geno's time.

chris98251

Reaction score
Draft another RB that is a every down back, draft a waiting in the wings QB that can learn from Geno, can't think of a player active that has been as high as you can be and as low as you can be and then bounced back. All the while being a student of the game the whole time and getting better.

Then use picks on Pass rush, Linebackers O line depth.

Torc

Reaction score
No doubt that Geno is going to get paid somewhere, but I think he wants to be here. Pete went after him in the off season when the midget was still here and Geno was a free agent. He was paid a lot under the circumstances (Worst qb in the NFL) and P&J had the ultimate faith in him by not going out searching for another qb when the world was telling Pete he had to go find a decent qb. Pete putting that kind of faith into a has been bench warmer will certainly pay dividends when when they sit down to talk.
I would like to think that there will be some loyalty to the coach that had faith in him when no one else did. And Geno has certainly seen one possible outcome to hopping teams.

On the flip side of that, he's a veteran of 10 years who is in complete control of where he signs, and he hasn't really had a big payout (we're talking NFL terms here, I'd be MORE than happy to get paid $3.5 million for a year. :p ). Until this season he's never made more than he did per year than his rookie contract. (see https://www.osdbsports.com/nfl/players/geno-smith/contracts/cfc93f5e-105e-4a5e-88d3-f4279893cfa8 for numbers)

He will, in all likelihood, be the the hot QB on the free agent market this offseason. If he signs a 5-6 year contract, that may be his last big one. (in fairness he hasn't taken the hits that a typical 10 year veteran has. Maybe he'll play longer as a result.) I wouldn't blame him for testing the market at least.....but I certainly do hope he stays.

Boohman14

Reaction score
We're the Seahawks. We can't draft a sure thing QB and make hima a success. Think Rick Meier. Our All time great QB's were Zorn, Krieg, Hasselbeck and Wilson. None were well regarded out of college. We need to draft the BPA and I hope make our defense a nightmare for other teams again. I'd put Linebacker as a need ahead of QB.

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Schneider knows QBs better than most of the NFL. He was at Josh Allen's Pro Day, and Patrick Mahomes Pro Day.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
We're the Seahawks. We can't draft a sure thing QB and make hima a success. Think Rick Meier. Our All time great QB's were Zorn, Krieg, Hasselbeck and Wilson. None were well regarded out of college. We need to draft the BPA and I hope make our defense a nightmare for other teams again. I'd put Linebacker as a need ahead of QB.
The key to our two best, Russ and Matt, was the head coach in both situations specifically wanted those guys and thought they could work them into successes. And did. Geno seems to be fitting that same mold right now for Pete.

Any QB they draft, whether first round or last, should fall into that category instead of being one of the 'stars' that Mel Kiper says everyone should want.

BASF

Reaction score
This is not exactly true of Wilson. Only knock on him was height. If he was 6'2" he would have went top three at worst.

eo620

Reaction score
I'd just roll with Geno and build up the defense a bit. This team is really close to being a real threat.
Agreed! If KW balls like he has and we have DK & Lockett as weapons. Keep that intact and build the D. Add Penny back next year and this team is becoming explosive!