A tribute to Marshawn Lynch from a newcomer

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
I always knew how to play football and enjoyed playing it on the “playground”, but being from Toronto, I never had a vested interest in the NFL, watching it, or learning the real rules. Being in my late 20s, I figured my window for caring about a sport that late in my life had closed (lifelong baseball and basketball fan). And Seattle was never a city I paid attention to anyways (unless we were facing the Mariners).

I’d heard of Marshawn Lynch when he was in Buffalo but had never really watched him play….basically because I didn’t care for football that much. I’d heard about the Beast Quake (or felt it, should I say) but never cared to check it out. It wasn’t until I saw one of his interviews from last season posted up on a site that I took notice. Then some time later, there would be another one just like it. I thought who is this jerk that keeps screwing with reporters? He keeps saying unintentional catchphrase after unintentional catchphrase and it’s disrespectful. Doesn’t even seem like he listens to his coach. But after several of these “disrespectful” yet entertaining interviews I found myself laughing at them. Dude kept it super honest (I mean, how hilarious is the boldness and honesty of “I’m just here so I won’t get fined”?). I found myself scouring the web for his interviews and then found myself watching games to see if his play on the field warranted such bucking of the rules….and it sure seemed like it did. Over time, I made it a goal to learn all the rules and strategies of football. I also started playing Madden religiously (a game I NEVER cared for) and Beast was always my HB. In time, I learned all about Seahawk (and NFL) history as well.

Around these parts, whenever I mention that I’m a Seahawks fan, the first thing people say is “Marshawn Lynch’s team” or “Beast Mode!” or one of the catchphrases. As much as this may be Russell Wilson’s team on the field NOW; the character and grit of the Hawks is represented by Marshawn Lynch. The owner of a huge jersey store near my place said that Marshawn Lynch is the most famous Seahawk of all time (says he’s easily eclipsed Largent in fame) and his jerseys sell out in a snap while the others collect dust. Anyways, in honour of what could have been Marshawn’s last game in a Seahawks uniform and this being my first post (long-time lurker), I wanted to pay tribute to my favourite player and the reason my family and I are football/Seahawks fans.

It seems a lot of you are ready to move on from The Beast, but I just got to this party and I’m not, yet. One more season, even if it’s in a back-up role to Rawls and even C. Mike would be my only wish. It’s a dream of mine to witness a Beast Quake at The Clink as it unfolds, as you guys already have and I would give anything to have experienced the Super Bowl run from a couple years back with Marshawn, Russell, and the rest. Regardless, I am forever grateful to The Beast for bringing this game into my life.

So yeah….hi….I’m new here. :2:

Imageadapt960highseahawks parade 01a

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Welcome. We are still washing out the lockers and waxing the floors preparing for a little break in the action. There are a few players that are gonna be busy in a few weeks so their rooms are busy too. Hope we can make your stay pleasurable. If you like, please venture into the other realms on this site and find out what some of them are about if it appeals to you. NFL Nation is a bundle of information on all teams. You did find us, and that is a great thing. Hope you have fun here.

:2: :thirishdrinkers:

Go Hawks.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Wow, great first post. :th2thumbs:

Marshawn is one of a kind, that's for sure but most of us here recognize that it's time for the team to move on. Keeping him just chews up too much of the salary cap that needs to spent retaining other players.

It's just the reality of the business... nothing more, nothing less.

Cheers, brother. :thirishdrinkers:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice maiden post, 12!

I will never forget what Marshawn gave to us fans, city and organization. He was the heartbeat and Soul of our team while Russell was earning his wings. Russell would not have the stats he's enjoyed the first four years of his career if it wasn't for Beast Mode. He has been a luxury any NFL quarterback - and team - would have loved to have.

Sadly, like all players, the time comes for them to retire or move on. While I think he could still come back one more year at least, due to strained relations with management this was likely his Swan Song in Seattle.

20 yards on 6 carries. Not the way any of us would have hoped he would have gone out but even the brightest stars in the Universe eventually burn out.

At the very least we will always have the memories - and film/video - of what will certainly be considered one of the greatest teams in franchise and possibly even NFL history.

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Thanks fellas! I just feel like putting all your eggs into one basket (Rawls) when he didn't even make it the whole season and may not be the same after a broken ankle isn't the smartest thing to do.

I'm hoping for a restructured deal with Beast as the back-up though it's not likely. Still gotta believe!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":2nxtsiah said:
Thanks fellas! I just feel like putting all your eggs into one basket (Rawls) when he didn't even make it the whole season and may not be the same after a broken ankle isn't the smartest thing to do.

I'm hoping for a restructured deal with Beast as the back-up though it's not likely. Still gotta believe!

Don't believe too hard. Marshawn has never been about taking pay cuts. I appreciate all he has done to make us great though, and have absolutely loved watching it. I'd love to bring him back in a reduced-salary, Fred Jackson type of role, but I just don't see it in the cards. I'm sure he's more than willing to sacrifice on the field for his teammates, but he views things like pay cuts as giving in to the establishment. That's not gonna happen. Hopefully we hit on some good RB talent in FA draft.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Welcome! I have Marshawn in my top 5 favorite Seahawks of all time. It has been an absolute pleasure to watch Beast Mode run for the Seahawks. I just can't fathom how he didn't retire with 2 back to back rings.

I honestly believe with every ounce of my being, had Lynch gotten the ball, we would have been back to back champs and Lynch probably would have retired a champion.

Welcome!

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":fst91pau said:
Welcome! I have Marshawn in my top 5 favorite Seahawks of all time. It has been an absolute pleasure to watch Beast Mode run for the Seahawks. I just can't fathom how he didn't retire with 2 back to back rings.

I honestly believe with every ounce of my being, had Lynch gotten the ball, we would have been back to back champs and Lynch probably would have retired a champion.

Welcome!

Thank you!

Like he said in this interview, he wants one more ring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMthBslu_0

Between Dallas, Oakland, and Seattle....Seattle has the best chance of getting to the promised land and I don't see why he wouldn't take a pay cut to get one final chance. Especially if he'll play in a diminished role (backup RB, FB.....Kicker?) which won't be so hard on his body.

I mean, the guy's only 30 and his legs are fresh from this past season. Why not come back for a few million, a lighter workload and one final chance at a ring?

I know I'm pulling at straws but it's tough to watch the guy who got you into the game walk away.....especially like that.

Latest posts