A Blowout is coming!

Exittium

Reaction score
TheWallE":3tg5litz said:
Thats a pretty good track record for pinpointing potential blowouts this year. Allow me to respectfully disagree with a few of your points however:

1) The Saints absolutely CAN run the ball. Are they great at it? No. Are the inconsistent at best? Yep. However, teams with similar 'poor' rushing units according to the Stats have gone into Seattle and had lots of success:
Tampa Bay had over 200 yards
Arizona had 139

The point is, it can be done, and this New Orleans rushing attack is coming off one of their stronger efforts.

2) The Saints CAN stop the run. The Saints have in fact faced 5 of the top 10 rushers in 2013 (including the top 2 and your own Marshawn Lynch) and none of those 5 have rushed for over 100 yards. Their defensive front is more than capable of playing at a high level. Take last week for an example: Philly is one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL, lead by a monster rushing attack that averaged over 160 yards a game. The Saints D went on the road, in the sub freezing temperature, and held them to less than half of their season average. They are more than capable of stopping the run.

3) You are completely wrong about the tenor of this Saints defense. The Saints are one of the NFL leaders in sacks with two players in the top 6. Both of those players are defensive ends, and the majority of our pressure looks come with four men up front or a minimal risk blitz from the LBs. The era of the Saints playing crash and all out blitz football has come and gone. The Saints are one of the better teams at developing pressure with their defensive front.

Add to that the already mentioned successes this team is capable of having stoping the run and you see why New Orleans finished the season ranked 4th over all on defense. They absolutely can play good defense, and your premise is incorrect that it folds when up against good offenses (see last week)

4) I sincerely hope the Seahawks call this game the exact same way, that is step one for a huge blunder. Because New Orleans is absolutely NOT going to call the game the same way, which means the outcome is 100% guaranteed to be different. Historically games of this nature (A playoff rematch of a regular season blowout) are very rarely similar outcomes to the first meeting. In fact the team that loses the first game in this scenario is 13-12 in the rematch. Showcasing that blowing out a team in the regular season is not as massive of an advantage as would seem.

That one sentence made me spit my coffee out to laugh.. because aside from those two games you name more where teams have had SOOO much "success". ALSO the stains maybe in your opinion have had their strongest effort for the run but in my eyes, it against what the 28th ranked defense.

Your easy schedule has also allowed for that "4th" place defense. The saints have been all season long the paper tiger of the NFC, such as the chiefs were for the AFC

Now take ur saints homerism and begone with ya. Your comparing apples to oranges. 8) :icon_new:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Saints fans should know out of the 8 teams left in the play-offs.

Seahawks rank:

#4 in Rush Yardage
#1 in Yards Per Carry
#2 in Yards Per Attempt
#1 in Rushing TDs given up.

(Seahawks have given up 4 rushing TDs. on the year, 2 of them were to the Jaguars, after Wilson threw a int from his own endzone and MJD punched it from the 2 yard line. The other was garbage TD against Seahawks B team defense)

While having the #1 Passing Defense in many statistical categories. Meaning most teams are forced to run the ball against our defense to pick up yardage. Which more often than will hurt their own team by running out the clock and limiting their opportunities to score.

TheWallE

Reaction score
Exittium":339abhda said:
TheWallE":339abhda said:
Thats a pretty good track record for pinpointing potential blowouts this year. Allow me to respectfully disagree with a few of your points however:

1) The Saints absolutely CAN run the ball. Are they great at it? No. Are the inconsistent at best? Yep. However, teams with similar 'poor' rushing units according to the Stats have gone into Seattle and had lots of success:
Arizona had 139

The point is, it can be done, and this New Orleans rushing attack is coming off one of their stronger efforts.

2) The Saints CAN stop the run. The Saints have in fact faced 5 of the top 10 rushers in 2013 (including the top 2 and your own Marshawn Lynch) and none of those 5 have rushed for over 100 yards. Their defensive front is more than capable of playing at a high level. Take last week for an example: Philly is one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL, lead by a monster rushing attack that averaged over 160 yards a game. The Saints D went on the road, in the sub freezing temperature, and held them to less than half of their season average. They are more than capable of stopping the run.

3) You are completely wrong about the tenor of this Saints defense. The Saints are one of the NFL leaders in sacks with two players in the top 6. Both of those players are defensive ends, and the majority of our pressure looks come with four men up front or a minimal risk blitz from the LBs. The era of the Saints playing crash and all out blitz football has come and gone. The Saints are one of the better teams at developing pressure with their defensive front.

Add to that the already mentioned successes this team is capable of having stoping the run and you see why New Orleans finished the season ranked 4th over all on defense. They absolutely can play good defense, and your premise is incorrect that it folds when up against good offenses (see last week)

4) I sincerely hope the Seahawks call this game the exact same way, that is step one for a huge blunder. Because New Orleans is absolutely NOT going to call the game the same way, which means the outcome is 100% guaranteed to be different. Historically games of this nature (A playoff rematch of a regular season blowout) are very rarely similar outcomes to the first meeting. In fact the team that loses the first game in this scenario is 13-12 in the rematch. Showcasing that blowing out a team in the regular season is not as massive of an advantage as would seem.

That one sentence made me spit my coffee out to laugh.. because aside from those two games you name more where teams have had SOOO much "success". ALSO the stains maybe in your opinion have had their strongest effort for the run but in my eyes, it against what the 28th ranked defense.

Your easy schedule has also allowed for that "4th" place defense. The saints have been all season long the paper tiger of the NFC, such as the chiefs were for the AFC

Now take ur saints homerism and begone with ya. Your comparing apples to oranges. 8) :icon_new:

The Seahawks have played 9 games this year against teams with a losing a losing record. The Saints have only played 6 games against teams with losing records.

The Saints schedule is hardly easy and you saying so seems to indicate to me that you are not really as well informed about

formido

Reaction score
TheWallE":2btg74a9 said:
plyka":2btg74a9 said:
From memory, there have been three times that I've predicted a blowout this season for the Seahawks.

1) 49ers at home
2) Saints at home
3) Rams at home

All three times I've been right on the money. Although my memory has a habit of forgetting when i'm wrong, so don't quote me on it, lol.

This is the 4th game I'm calling for a BLOWOUT! What are the reasons? Well, they are the same reasons I used in the last Saints game sans 1: Saints are the most overrated team in the NFL. They are no longer the most overrated team. Now everyone understands their limitations to a large extent. But the other reasons why this will be a blowout are exactly the same:

1) The Saints CANNOT rush the ball. During the season, they had a 3.8 yard per rush average. This is horrible, it is atrocious, it is just flat out BAD. Now that they rushed the ball against one of the worst defenses in the NFL in the Eagles, people are saying: "they have to commit to the run." Folks, this team cannot rush. They will not commit to something they are incompetent in. What makes this statistic the absolute worst is that the Saints have a great passing attack --which means they should have a high YPA rushing wise, because defenses are set up to defend the pass.

2) The Saints CANNOT STOP the rush. They are god awful at stopping the rush. They allow 4.6 yards per rush. This is against the crap row of teams they have played this season. This is a major weakness.

3) The Saints have a gamble high risk defense. They need to blitz and trick people in order to get pressure. They cannot line up 4 rushers and get pressure. They need to bring blitzes from all angles. Against bad teams with bad QBs, these tactics work like a charm. Against better teams, this is not a defense which can be considered a strength. The Seahawks' weakness is when a team plays straight up --rushes 4, and gets pressure, plays soft man on the receivers. Very stout up front, where your front 7 can stop the Seahawks' run. The Saints are the exact opposite.

4) The Seahawks will call this game just like they did the first time. They took RISKS, they did not play conservative. I expect the same in this game.

Blowout's a coming folks...get ready for a snoozer.

Arizona had 139

Seattle had two games with bad run defense earlier in the year, St. Louis and Tampa Bay. That was when Bobby Wagner had a high ankle sprain. Seattle played St. Louis later. St. Louis had negative run yards through 3 quarters. No, Seattle can't be run on, especially not by the likes of New Orleans.

Also, you mentioned Arizona. Arizona needed 46 rushes to get those yards. Arizona didn't run on Seattle. They threw 4 picks. All they were trying to do is minimize their TOs. Arizona has the second best defense in the league. They could afford that strategy, and it worked, just barely. New Orleans doesn't have the second best defense in the league.

I agree the Saints can stop the run. They just can't stop the run and the pass at the same time.

The Saints are ranked 4th overall in defense because the NFL's ranking is garbage. It uses total yards. No one uses total yards anymore. One of the main reasons the Saints give up less total yards is because New Orleans's offense leads the league in time of possession. Needless to say, the Saints defense doesn't deserve any credit for that. By DVOA, New Orleans's defense is only ranked 10th, which makes sense give how easily Seattle's offense handled them last time.

If New Orleans runs the same defense as last time, Seattle will do the same things. If New Orleans diverts more resources to stopping Wilson, then Lynch will run for a lot of yards. In any case, New Orleans has no answer for Percy Harvin. It's like the Pats getting Gronk back for the play-offs.

Teams that blow-out a team earlier are 12-13 in the play-off rematch, but that's not all that relevant. How often does the team with significantly higher DVOA playing at home lose to a team it dominated earlier in the season. My guess is the record would look a lot different.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I don't care what NOLA did in Philly. All I care about is the matchup on Saturday. You don't have to look up stats to know what I am talking about.

If the Saints don't play any better than they did in Philly, they are in for a long, long ride home. Philly does not generate a fraction of the noise that the 12s do. Does anyone think Philly fans were building up the kind of aggression that all of us are bringing on Saturday? We are dying here, just building up, waiting for the chance to unleash hell on the Saints as they take the field. They think they are prepared and know what to expect? This is the playoffs and these fans have been waiting all season for this moment. The 12s aren't going to be able to contain themselves.

RCATES

Reaction score
TheWallE":26je1r73 said:
plyka":26je1r73 said:
From memory, there have been three times that I've predicted a blowout this season for the Seahawks.

1) 49ers at home
2) Saints at home
3) Rams at home

All three times I've been right on the money. Although my memory has a habit of forgetting when i'm wrong, so don't quote me on it, lol.

This is the 4th game I'm calling for a BLOWOUT! What are the reasons? Well, they are the same reasons I used in the last Saints game sans 1: Saints are the most overrated team in the NFL. They are no longer the most overrated team. Now everyone understands their limitations to a large extent. But the other reasons why this will be a blowout are exactly the same:

1) The Saints CANNOT rush the ball. During the season, they had a 3.8 yard per rush average. This is horrible, it is atrocious, it is just flat out BAD. Now that they rushed the ball against one of the worst defenses in the NFL in the Eagles, people are saying: "they have to commit to the run." Folks, this team cannot rush. They will not commit to something they are incompetent in. What makes this statistic the absolute worst is that the Saints have a great passing attack --which means they should have a high YPA rushing wise, because defenses are set up to defend the pass.

2) The Saints CANNOT STOP the rush. They are god awful at stopping the rush. They allow 4.6 yards per rush. This is against the crap row of teams they have played this season. This is a major weakness.

3) The Saints have a gamble high risk defense. They need to blitz and trick people in order to get pressure. They cannot line up 4 rushers and get pressure. They need to bring blitzes from all angles. Against bad teams with bad QBs, these tactics work like a charm. Against better teams, this is not a defense which can be considered a strength. The Seahawks' weakness is when a team plays straight up --rushes 4, and gets pressure, plays soft man on the receivers. Very stout up front, where your front 7 can stop the Seahawks' run. The Saints are the exact opposite.

4) The Seahawks will call this game just like they did the first time. They took RISKS, they did not play conservative. I expect the same in this game.

Blowout's a coming folks...get ready for a snoozer.

Arizona had 139

God I'm so tired of hearing about number 4. The Saints media and Fans are grabbing at straws at this point. Trying to find any kind of hope that they can win. Those #1 seeds were not this Seahawks team and weren't played at the Clink in front of the deafening 12th man.

Saints couldn't run the ball against us 5 weeks ago and won't have any success on Saturday either. Did they change all their personnel? Saints fans definitely make it seem that way.

raisethe3

Reaction score
I am expecting the Hawks winning this by 10+ pts.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Stats of a team the other the second time is not something I worry. Home field advantage, the playoff atmosphere at CLINK, the coaches who remind 1 and 0 championship week, RW leadership to keep the team focused and the players all competing and having fun and finally the talent. Hawks will be fine.