A bit of a perspective. So how much more do we travel ?.....

rjdriver

Reaction score
Especially when compared to other teams? I've always known we travel more than most teams due to geography, but I wanted to look into it a bit further. This is in no way a complain-a-thon or a Harbaughesque crying session, just a dying for the season to start way to kill time. 

I wanted to compare us to another team more centrally located and I wanted to have at least three years of data. I picked the Chicago Bears. They are in the Central time zone. They go left and right to play teams on the road. They are a big market squad. No other obvious reasons, just thought it would be a fair, random, and interesting comparison. 

I used one way air distance statute miles from Seattle and Chicago to the major commercial airport in each visiting city. I understand that sometimes teams fly into satellite airports (Hobby instead of Bush, Midway instead of O'Hare), but my routes should be pretty darn accurate and I used the same criteria for both teams. 

I also included the quantity of time zones travelled east in parenthesis by each trip. I think we all agree that it is statistically, if not scientifically, proven that traveling east bound has a more detrimental effect on physiology. If a team played in their same time zone or travelled west to a different time zones, I left it blank. If they crossed one time zone, they received +1. Two time zones+2 and so forth. I used regular season road games exclusively. 

LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE CHICAGO BEARS

2013:

1. Pittsburg         410  (+1)
2.Detroit.            234 (+1)
3. Washington  587 (+1)
4. Green Bay     174 
5. St. Louis.        258
6. Minnesota      333
7. Cleveland.      315 (+1)
8. Philadelphia.   676 (+1)

Total Miles - 2987.     Total East time zones crossed -5

2012:

1. Green Bay.            174
2. Dallas.                  801
3. Jacksonville      865 (+1)
4. Tennessee.       409 (+1)
5. San Fran.           1840
6. Minnesota         333
7. Arizona.             1440
8. Detroit.              234 (+1)

Total Miles- 6096.      Total East time zones crossed- 3

2011:

1. New Orleans.       838
2. Detroit.                 234 (+1)
3. Tampa Bay.       1010 (+1)
4. Philadelphia.      676 (+1)
5. Oakland.              1830
6. Denver.                885
7. Green Bay.          174
8. Minnesota.         333

Total Miles- 5980           Total East time zones crossed- 3

Chicago Bears Three Year Totals - 15,063 miles. 11 time zones

LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

2013:

1. Carolina            2270 (+3)
2. Houston.         1870 (+2)
3. Indy.                  1860 (+3)
4. Arizona.          1110 (+1)
5. St. Louis.         1700 (+2)
6. Atlanta.          2180 (+3)
7. San Fran.       678
8. NYG.                2410 (+3)

Total Miles - 14,078.    Total East time zones crossed- 17

2012: 

1. Arizona.              1110 (+1)
2. St. Louis            1700 (+2)
3. Carolina           2270 (+3)
4. San Fran.        678 
5. Detroit.              1920 (+3)
6. Miami.                 2720 (+3)
7. Chicago.              1710 (+2)
8. Toronto (Buf).  2050 (+3)

Total Miles - 14,158.    Total East time zones crossed- 17 

2011:

1. San Fran.           678
2. Pittsburg.         2120 (+3)
3. NYG.                  2410 (+3)
4. Cleveland         2010 (+3)
5. Dallas.                1660 (+2)
6. St. Louis            1700 (+2)
7. Chicago.            1710 (+2)
8. Arizona             1110 (+1)

Total Miles - 13,398.    Total East time zones crossed- 16

Seattle Seahawks Three Year Totals - 41,634 miles. 50 time zones

I don't know about you guys but these numbers were staggering. That's right 41,634 to 15,063! 50 east time zones to 11! This coming year, Seattle will travel 14,078 miles and cross 17 time zones to the east. Chicago in the last THREE years, will have travelled 15,063 miles and crossed 11 time zones to the east. In other words, the Bears travelled only 985 miles more and 6 less east time zone crossings. IN THREE YEARS. Remember, these are just one way, it's even more daunting when you think of the return flights. 

I know good teams man up and win on the road, and it makes our success all the more impressive, but I really think these numbers need to be looked at before awarding Seattle all these 10am pacific starts. We can compete with any team out there, anywhere, at anytime, but I do think it's silly to say that there is no competitive disadvantage when looking at these numbers. I fly airplanes for a living and can tell you there is nothing worse than an early show on the east coast after having travelled all day. Don't get me wrong, I do it and I do it with pride, but it's a heck of a lot easier working the west coast exclusively.  I think our schedule will make our success this year all the more legitimate, but hopefully I gave you a tiny bit of a perspective you didn't have earlier. 

bestfightstory

Reaction score
So True, and thanks. At this point, anybody that doesn't get this is willfully ignoring the obvious.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
It's an obvious disadvantage. Thanks for doing the numbers, they're truly staggering. Good thing we're a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM.

kearly

Reaction score
Those travel distances help boost our home field advantage too, so it's not all bad. But yeah, it's not a mystery why our team has such extreme home/road splits.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
All the NFL has to do is limit the number of 10am starts for the west coast teams.

Not rocket science, and yet they never do it.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":dx05fkg2 said:
All the NFL has to do is limit the number of 10am starts for the west coast teams.

But that would mean those poor East Coast teams would have to travel west once in a while. That's hardly fair, is it?

themunn

Reaction score
Personally I don't think the travel or the distance travelled has that much of an effect on teams.
A lot of European soccer teams travel by bus from stadium to stadium, and although the distance is far shorter, the travel time is often just as long or far longer, but nobody ever really mentions it.

I do think that the difference in time zone is a huge factor though, and one that should be addressed. I think it's no coincidence that our record on the road in Sunday and Monday night games is far better than our record in morning games.

Hawkspur":2bbhe5e4 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2bbhe5e4 said:

But that would mean those poor East Coast teams would have to travel west once in a while. That's hardly fair, is it?

It doesn't really though, does it? What is stopping our 5 10am games this year being played at 1pm?

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I seem to recall quite a few times when we played at 10 and there were hardly any late games on. It does seem odd. Is 1pm the best time to watch a game? I prefer the afternoon or evening myself.

The Radish

Reaction score
themunn":mtyns1ow said:
Personally I don't think the travel or the distance travelled has that much of an effect on teams.
A lot of European soccer teams travel by bus from stadium to stadium, and although the distance is far shorter, the travel time is often just as long or far longer, but nobody ever really mentions it.

I do think that the difference in time zone is a huge factor though, and one that should be addressed. I think it's no coincidence that our record on the road in Sunday and Monday night games is far better than our record in morning games.

Hawkspur":mtyns1ow said:
theENGLISHseahawk":mtyns1ow said:

It doesn't really though, does it? What is stopping our 5 10am games this year being played at 1pm?

They are being played at 1pm.

Its just 10am to us.

Cartire

Reaction score
Hawkspur":2vd5och6 said:
I seem to recall quite a few times when we played at 10 and there were hardly any late games on. It does seem odd. Is 1pm the best time to watch a game? I prefer the afternoon or evening myself.

All games are to be played at 1pm (est) with each network showing 1-2 games at 4 (est) as a ratings grabber for marketing. For the most part, you will see home western games played then, and usually 1 "Game of the Week" from the networks (usually involving a manning brother). They purposely limit the afternoon games because they want to be able to maximize commercial profit. Listening to PK on the radio, he said it will never change. The TV networks want to have less games in the afternoon for ratings, so it will stay.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Great post thanks for your time. It is something MOST of us knew. You put it down in a way that NOBODY can dispute. Makes me wonder how our schedule matches up with the 3 California teams. I'd be willing to bet our guys have it the worst. Over the years I have heard a commentator mention this subject on air, but it's rare, and it gets pushed aside or under the proverbial rug quickly. I think our travel is a big disadvantage and it makes a road win against a tough team even sweeter. When this season ends the way we all hope and pray it does, I would love to see the highlight film make mention of these numbers and how the 2013 Seahawks overcame the odds. On a side note. I wonder if ANY Superbowl winner has ever had as tough a travel schedule as the SEAHAWKS have year in and year out.

SirTed

Reaction score
kearly":h9je8h4q said:
Those travel distances help boost our home field advantage too, so it's not all bad. But yeah, it's not a mystery why our team has such extreme home/road splits.

This is kind of a half truth though. Anyone who travels a lot will tell you that traveling west to east is far more taxing than east to west. East to west travel is nothing, really. West to east is brutal.

It may seem like a small thing, but simply acclimating yourself to proper sleeping hours can be incredibly difficult. Let's say you're used to going to bed at 10pm (PST), that's 1am. Then, instead of having a game at 1pm (PST), as far as your body is concerned it's 10am. So what time do you think wake up call is? Even for a "1pm" game? 9am?

That potentially represents a significant loss of sleep, and every trainer and doctor will tell you that more and more studies are indicating that sleep alone might be the single most important thing that any athlete can do for their body.

What is potentially lost traveling east to west? I can't think of a single thing.

themunn

Reaction score
The Radish":3n7sz5e6 said:
They are being played at 1pm.

Its just 10am to us.

I meant 1pm to you guys - they're played at 6pm/9pm/1am for me...

lukerguy

Reaction score
It would be nearly impossible for this to not be the case given our location and the few amount of teams in our area. Boston is nearly as far north as us and east as we are west, but obviously there are 10+ teams in the NE part of the country. I don't think we can really blame anyone, it's just the nature of our situation.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Just throwing this out there, along with my obligatory disclaimer about jet lag within the continental United States being largely psychosomatic. It's the ratio of losses on the road compared to losses at home for a bunch of teams that have been good in recent years, along with our beloved Seahawks. (Going back 3 regular seasons for each team.)

Seattle Seahawks: 16-7 for a 2.28-1 ratio.
New England: 6-3 for a 2-1 ratio.
Baltimore Ravens: 11-3 for a 3.66-1 ratio.
Houston Texans: 11-9 for a 1.22-1 ratio.
New Orleans Saints: 10-7 for a 1.42-1 ratio.
Green Bay Packers: 10-2 for a 5-1 ratio.
Atlanta Falcons: 8-4 for a 2-1 ratio.
San Francisco 49ers: 12-5 for a 2.4-1 ratio.
New York Giants: 11-9 for a 1.22-1 ratio.
Pittsburgh Steelers: 9-7 for a 1.28-1 ratio.

Those are the ratios from GOOD teams over that time. If you want to look up AVERAGE teams, it's a bloodbath. Most of their losses come on the road, regardless of travel distance.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
San Francisco had five 10 AM starts last season and went to the Super Bowl, including beating Atlanta on the road in the playoffs, something we failed to do.

No excuses.

OP
OP
rjdriver

rjdriver

Reaction score
Vpk0718":13kcloun said:
San Francisco had five 10 AM starts last season and went to the Super Bowl, including beating Atlanta on the road in the playoffs, something we failed to do.

No excuses.

I agree, no excuses. We just need to be that much better. To be fair the NFC championship started at 3:00PM Eastern, not 10:00AM

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rjdriver":pb5cojom said:
I agree, no excuses. We just need to be that much better. To be fair the NFC championship started at 3:00PM Eastern, not 10:00AM

Man, this drives me nuts, lol. After you've slept a night it's not a 10am start anymore!

mikeak

Reaction score
Good post but two items to note

1) We are compared to the optimal team. I would be curious to say Miami comparison, Oakland / SF comparison. I don't expect as much of a difference

2) An additional negative is that not only the total number matters. Look at Chicago 2012. They have four travel days that are significant then the other four games are very short travel. For the Seahawks and I am guessing this applies to the 49ers & Miami as well each and every travel day is relatively significant maybe with exception of playing eachother (49ers vs Hawks)