9ers to hire John Lynch as GM

chris98251

Reaction score
Well Lynch was an aggressive player, I expect his input to be for the aggressive types, at least on defense. Problem is he has not had the type of Front office experience that Elway had before promoted. If I remember Lynch is also from Stanford Graduate so familiar with the area as well.

We will see how much influence he will have I guess, IF Shanahan is the Coach they will have a good balance of experience on both sides of the ball in the building, how this works as a team situation will be worth watching.

NINEster

Reaction score
chris98251":3tgmtdw5 said:
Lynch isn't going to be what they expect, he is outspoken and opinionated, well at least they finally got a Lynch on that team.

Lynch is not going to be content being a puppet either, it will be all hugs at first, by seasons end we will see ripples that could turn into waves.

Finally got a Lynch on the team?

You forget who's been getting to Wilson after Aldon Smith left? :mrgreen:

Largent80

Reaction score

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Totally out of left field, but a couple thoughts on this (which have all been mentioned by others in other places):

1) The 9ers seem to be emulating the Broncos model in which they have a former player who is the face of the operation, but the actual nuts and bolts GM work will fall on other people (Marathe does cap and contracts, Gamble does player eval, there's a rumor they're bringing in a 3rd guy to split up pro player personnel and draft personnel). If that's what they're doing, it explains why they were also looking at media-side guys in the GM search, as they want someone with some media savvy to start representing the org.

2) 9ers fans have been begging for someone between York and the team. This could very well be that..

3)...or not. I don't think we can really make a statement about what's going on until we see the organizational hierarchy chart (if Paraag is parallel in the hierarchy with Lynch in reporting to York watch out, this is just going to be more of the same).

4) Shanny really had the 9ers by the short and curlies, which I think really limited how attractive this job was. They might be using this org structure because it's the only org structure that would still allow Shanny to have final say on the 53.

5) I think the six year contract is easily explained: It means Shanny was able to get a six year contract, and they don't want to put the GM on a shorter contract than the coach, because that's just going to lead to the same power problems they've already had.

6) And on six year contracts, once again, and as if we need any more proof, Jed York is an idiot, not cheap.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2jtq2hy4 said:
rjdriver":2jtq2hy4 said:
One thing for sure. Nobody knows the Seahawks better, he's called a prodigious amount of Hawk games. Not that I looked, but it sure does feel that way.

Not "for sure", the guy can barely get the players names correct. He was a joke of an announcer,

Cant agree with this, Lynch was quality with informed commentary and accurate observations.

Largent80

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":14ycy78c said:
FlyHawksFly":14ycy78c said:
rjdriver":14ycy78c said:
One thing for sure. Nobody knows the Seahawks better, he's called a prodigious amount of Hawk games. Not that I looked, but it sure does feel that way.

Not "for sure", the guy can barely get the players names correct. He was a joke of an announcer,

Cant agree with this, Lynch was quality with informed commentary and accurate observations.

I agree with UK, Lynch was a good announcer.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I have to give Jed credit for this...

...he certainly doesn't care AT ALL how he is perceived and he's willing to put himself out there to get hammered.

There are a lot of safe choices he could have made and this is NOT one of them. The length of the contracts also illustrate he isn't cheap either.

The problem is that he can also be incompetent but we won't know that for a few years while we see how this Lynch/Shanahan pairing turns out.

My initial reaction is "WTF"? Its growing on me little by little, but it's going to take a long time before we have any idea if this was a good hire or not.

Boycie

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3ftb7woy said:
rjdriver":3ftb7woy said:

Not "for sure", the guy can barely get the players names correct. He was a joke of an announcer, and this is a joke of a hire. Yes man for Shanahan.

How can you say that Lynch was a joke of an announcer?

He was the best announcer that Fox had. I didn't have any problems with him doing our games, and I thought that he did a very good job.

rlkats

Reaction score
The last word on the webzone news link is that Lynch will keep Gamble around at least to the draft to see if he belongs with the 49ers organization.

It doesn't seem that Lynch will be pushed around by others. Gamble, Lynch, and Shanny. That is some manly ego's there. Hope Jed boy doesn't get in the way. He might get his feelings hurt. You remember a great coach stating " this is a mans meeting" we might here some more of these things lol

xgeoff

Reaction score
Maulbert":2guryf77 said:
Hasselbeck":2guryf77 said:
Hate to say it - I think this is a home run hire.

Screw York. He pulled a great GM/HC out of his ass.

Matt Millen went from player to announcer to GM, too. :stirthepot:

Lol, this is great! It's Matt Millen 2.0. I've listened to John lynch call many games and I have never, never walked away with thoughts of 'wow that guy has a lot of good insights'. Never.

Shanahan may be good, we'll see. But this GM hire, at least right now, does not look like a home run to me. Can't wait to see the 9ers draft this year. It will be fascinating to see who they pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

canfan

Reaction score
Marvin49":30kohlyp said:

...he certainly doesn't care AT ALL how he is perceived .

This may well turn out to be a good hire...we have nothing to gauge it on, so who knows. Lynch certainly has football smarts but does he have the administrative smarts to make this work? Time will tell. As far as what you stated above, possibly York "doesn't care" what people think of him. My theory is that he is so totally lacking in self evaluation and introspection that he is incapable of understanding how he might be perceived by others. Good luck to your team next year...I think you have a coach who has a chance to be really great if he can keep his ego in check. Now lets see if the front office can deliver him the players to do it. :)

canfan

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":1yf53tcc said:
Ace_Rimmer":1yf53tcc said:
FlyHawksFly":1yf53tcc said:
rjdriver":1yf53tcc said:

Not "for sure", the guy can barely get the players names correct. He was a joke of an announcer, and this is a joke of a hire. Yes man for Shanahan.

He was the best announcer that Fox had. I didn't have any problems with him doing our games, and I thought that he did a very good job.

Like this: Lynch was a joke of an announcer.

He is far from the best announcer Fox had, he was routinely their B or C team. Biased (much like any former player), outdated, and simply wrong A LOT. Even on small stuff like players' names. Doesn't bode well for GM duties if the guy can't even get that right.

I liked him in the booth. I completely disagree with your take on him....but hey, we all have guys that get on our nerves...for example don't get me started on Collinsworth!

Marvin49

Reaction score
rlkats":2tjt1jm1 said:
The last word on the webzone news link is that Lynch will keep Gamble around at least to the draft to see if he belongs with the 49ers organization.

It doesn't seem that Lynch will be pushed around by others. Gamble, Lynch, and Shanny. That is some manly ego's there. Hope Jed boy doesn't get in the way. He might get his feelings hurt. You remember a great coach stating " this is a mans meeting" we might here some more of these things lol

I think Gamble has to stay no matter what at least until the draft. They can't make wholesale changes to the scouting department just a few months before the draft.

Marvin49

Reaction score
canfan":17ouse7w said:
Marvin49":17ouse7w said:

...he certainly doesn't care AT ALL how he is perceived .

This may well turn out to be a good hire...we have nothing to gauge it on, so who knows. Lynch certainly has football smarts but does he have the administrative smarts to make this work? Time will tell. As far as what you stated above, possibly York "doesn't care" what people think of him. My theory is that he is so totally lacking in self evaluation and introspection that he is incapable of understanding how he might be perceived by others. Good luck to your team next year...I think you have a coach who has a chance to be really great if he can keep his ego in check. Now lets see if the front office can deliver him the players to do it. :)

Thats certainly possible, but kinda doubt it in terms of York.

He has people flying planes over the stadium asking him to leave so I don't think he's blind to the perception of the team. :D

xgeoff

Reaction score
canfan":33nm613m said:
...don't get me started on Collinsworth!

I prefer Collinsworth to Lynch. That being said, I view Collinsworth as a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Sometimes he's a Seahawk hater and i can't stand him. Sometimes I think he is exceptional. Lynch is just *meh*. He's like a weak latte. It's like 'I can taste some good coffee in there somewhere, but overall it's not good."

rlkats

Reaction score
Well we are on here saying we like or don't like. Honestly it really doesn't matter, because it happened. Now the sad part is none of us don't know what to expect. it has been said he will hire people to help him. So it seems like OJT to me, it could be good or bad. The first thing I would love to see is................

Beat the Hawks

hahahaha

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
xgeoff":wc6ink71 said:
Maulbert":wc6ink71 said:
Hasselbeck":wc6ink71 said:
Hate to say it - I think this is a home run hire.

Screw York. He pulled a great GM/HC out of his ass.

Matt Millen went from player to announcer to GM, too. :stirthepot:

Lol, this is great! It's Matt Millen 2.0. I've listened to John lynch call many games and I have never, never walked away with thoughts of 'wow that guy has a lot of good insights'. Never.

Shanahan may be good, we'll see. But this GM hire, at least right now, does not look like a home run to me. Can't wait to see the 9ers draft this year. It will be fascinating to see who they pick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt Millen is a moron. John Lynch is not.

But you're right, will be interesting to see how he does. I think despite Jed's best efforts, he made a good move.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
rlkats":3ilegqii said:
Well we are on here saying we like or don't like. Honestly it really doesn't matter, because it happened. Now the sad part is none of us don't know what to expect. it has been said he will hire people to help him. So it seems like OJT to me, it could be good or bad. The first thing I would love to see is................

Beat the Hawks

hahahaha

So what you really mean is get by the Hawks with a single point win....but that would be ok. Just not both times we play like the Lambs used to do.

I still think that you have a couple of years til the coaching staff and gm get on the correct page. Then all hell is gonna break loose. It will be interesting from our point of view what yall do down in Santa Clara.

Smellyman

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":13snyf44 said:
Ace_Rimmer":13snyf44 said:
FlyHawksFly":13snyf44 said:
rjdriver":13snyf44 said:

Like this: Lynch was a joke of an announcer.

He is far from the best announcer Fox had, he was routinely their B or C team. Biased (much like any former player), outdated, and simply wrong A LOT. Even on small stuff like players' names. Doesn't bode well for GM duties if the guy can't even get that right.

I thought he was a 'safe' announcer, never controversial or interesting or informative. Vanilla