5 reasons Lynch will be better than Adrian Peterson in 2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... on-in-2015

They are pretty close in yards after contact in their careers, but Lynch has far and away more missed tackles.

Relative offensive line play is an issue not discussed in this article . . . Vikings have a pretty strong run-blocking offensive line. Seahawks could be replacing a great run blocker (Max Unger) and an inconsistent run blocker (James Carpenter) will two poor run blockers in Jeanpierre and Bailey. Either that or you are replacing them with even more inexperienced players: Lewis, Glowinski, Poole, Sokoli, etc.

Run blocking at TE will also be a problem, post-Zach Miller, with Willson, Helfet, and Graham not known to be solid blockers. Derrick Coleman returns at FB, and he too is not known to be a good run blocker.

Another issue that is always present is whether Bevell will give Lynch the ball enough and whether the addition of Graham will sap even more of Lynch's opportunities.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2v27n795 said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25210498/reasons-marshawn-lynch-will-be-better-than-adrian-peterson-in-2015

They are pretty close in yards after contact in their careers, but Lynch has far and away more missed tackles.

Relative offensive line play is an issue not discussed in this article . . . Vikings have a pretty strong run-blocking offensive line. Seahawks could be replacing a great run blocker (Max Unger) and an inconsistent run blocker (James Carpenter) will two poor run blockers in Jeanpierre and Bailey. Either that or you are replacing them with even more inexperienced players: Lewis, Glowinski, Poole, Sokoli, etc.

Run blocking at TE will also be a problem, post-Zach Miller, with Willson, Helfet, and Graham not known to be solid blockers. Derrick Coleman returns at FB, and he too is not known to be a good run blocker.

Another issue that is always present is whether Bevell will give Lynch the ball enough and whether the addition of Graham will sap even more of Lynch's opportunities.

I have to disagree about Bailey's run blocking. I think he's done a pretty solid job in his limited time on the field. I can understand the concern at center, but Bailey, especially moving back inside at his true position, should provide us with at least as much as we got out of Carpenter. I'm actually looking forward to what we have in Bailey

Largent80

Reaction score
Unger missed a lot of games the last 2 years. Lewis played decent in there. Glowinski couldn't Be as bad as carpenter was. Tukuafu is back and is a good run blocker .

Personally I think we are in good shape on the o line.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":28c9yf6h said:
hawknation2015":28c9yf6h said:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25210498/reasons-marshawn-lynch-will-be-better-than-adrian-peterson-in-2015

I have to disagree about Bailey's run blocking. I think he's done a pretty solid job in his limited time on the field. I can understand the concern at center, but Bailey, especially moving back inside at his true position, should provide us with at least as much as we got out of Carpenter. I'm actually looking forward to what we have in Bailey

Yeah, you're free to disagree, but run blocking has been a problem for Bailey throughout his career. Despite having abnormally quick feet for a man of his size, he has never displayed that explosiveness off the line of scrimmage to finish run blocks. It is the one thing Cable cited when he discussed why Bailey wasn't drafted, and the key feature of his game that he most needs to improve on.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":uh2bh9q5 said:
kidhawk":uh2bh9q5 said:
hawknation2015":uh2bh9q5 said:

Yeah, you're free to disagree, but run blocking has been a problem for Bailey throughout his career. Despite having abnormally quick feet for a man of his size, he has never displayed that explosiveness off the line of scrimmage to finish run blocks. It is the one thing Cable cited when he discussed why Bailey wasn't drafted, and the key feature of his game that he most needs to improve on.

Why he wasn't drafted has little to do with today. he's had time to work on these issues. Watching him progress as he's been plugged in for injuries and he has improved quite a bit. I fully expect those improvements to shine once he's put back at guard instead of backing up Okung at Tackle as he has been doing. So I guess we'll all know once the season gets going, just exactly how much he's progressed.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":1phoeepk said:
hawknation2015":1phoeepk said:
kidhawk":1phoeepk said:
hawknation2015":1phoeepk said:

Why he wasn't drafted has little to do with today. he's had time to work on these issues. Watching him progress as he's been plugged in for injuries and he has improved quite a bit. I fully expect those improvements to shine once he's put back at guard instead of backing up Okung at Tackle as he has been doing. So I guess we'll all know once the season gets going, just exactly how much he's progressed.

Oh, I wasn't saying that not being drafted is relevant today. I was actually speaking to Bailey's history of struggling as a run blocker throughout his career. It was certainly true last year as well, i.e. some very poor attempts at run blocking while playing left guard against Kansas City. Bailey's forte has been his nimbleness and use of his long arms to lock up pass rushers.

I think his improved conditioning with help with his run blocking -- it helped Carpenter -- but I don't know if it will be enough to turn him into a decent or even average player in the running game. I won't be surprised (or disappointed) if one of the rookies seizes that Left Guard spot around midseason and never lets go.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1536x0aa said:
I think his improved conditioning with help with his run blocking -- it helped Carpenter -- but I don't know if it will be enough to turn him into a decent or even average player in the running game. I won't be surprised (or disappointed) if one of the rookies seizes that Left Guard spot around midseason and never lets go.

One thing we can agree on, is that it would be nice to see a rookie come in and own a position of need like that. I don't believe it'll happen, but I'm generally happy to see the best player on the field regardless of name recognition, draft status, etc.

Largent80

Reaction score
One thing is certain. Cable is gacked about our crop of lineman. If he's gacked then so am I. The competition actually reminds me of our super bowl year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1z2hazag said:
hawknation2015":1z2hazag said:

One thing we can agree on, is that it would be nice to see a rookie come in and own a position of need like that. I don't believe it'll happen, but I'm generally happy to see the best player on the field regardless of name recognition, draft status, etc.

Just to clarify on the rookie thing....I don't think a rookie will overtake Bailey.....I wouldn't be shocked to see a rookie start at center this season.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":8u70rukz said:
kidhawk":8u70rukz said:
hawknation2015":8u70rukz said:

Just to clarify on the rookie thing....I don't think a rookie will overtake Bailey.....I wouldn't be shocked to see a rookie start at center this season.

That I would be shocked at . . . not many rookies have ever started at center for us. Jeanpierre was actually the last one; he started one game there in 2011 when Unger was hurt, and the results were pretty disastrous for us.

Center is just a very challenging position for a rookie to play. Not only in terms of touching the ball on every play, but also making line calls, getting out of your stance quickly to open up running lanes up the gut, and securing the most direct path to the QB.

The only rookie who has seen reps at center so far in OTAs (Sokoli) is a player who is converting from defensive tackle and therefore very new to the position. I expect him to be a good player for us in the long run because of his amazing athleticism, but it's going to take some time. Jeanpierre, Lewis, and even a guy like Nowak will all likely have a big edge over Sokoli this season.

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":15i7oidu said:
kidhawk":15i7oidu said:
kidhawk":15i7oidu said:
hawknation2015":15i7oidu said:

That I would be shocked at . . . not many rookies have ever started at center for us. Jeanpierre was actually the last one; he started one game there in 2011 when Unger was hurt, and the results were pretty disastrous for us.

Center is just a very challenging position for a rookie to play. Not only in terms of touching the ball on every play, but also making line calls, getting out of your stance quickly to open up running lanes up the gut, and securing the most direct path to the QB.

The only rookie who has seen reps at center so far (Sokoli) is a player who is converting from defensive tackle and therefore very new to the position. I expect him to be a good player for us in the long run because of his amazing athleticism, but it's going to take some time. Jeanpierre, Lewis, and even a guy like Nowak will all likely have a big edge over Sokoli this season.

I don't think it'll happen to start the season, but I think it will happen at some point. Even though he was completely raw, they through Sweezy to the wolves right out of the gate from a similar situation. The only reason I doubt it happens week 1 is because it's center not guard.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":58cdikx2 said:
hawknation2015":58cdikx2 said:

The only rookie who has seen reps at center so far (Sokoli) is a player who is converting from defensive tackle and therefore very new to the position. I expect him to be a good player for us in the long run because of his amazing athleticism, but it's going to take some time. Jeanpierre, Lewis, and even a guy like Nowak will all likely have a big edge over Sokoli this season.

I don't think it'll happen to start the season, but I think it will happen at some point. Even though he was completely raw, they through Sweezy to the wolves right out of the gate from a similar situation. The only reason I doubt it happens week 1 is because it's center not guard.

If Sweezy had played center, there is no way he would have started there as a rookie over Jeanpierre. It's just the nature of the position that rookies rarely if ever succeed there.

Green Bay's center last year (Corey Linsley) was a total anomaly, and he had multiple seasons of starting experience at center for Ohio State. Again, I would be shocked if any rookie started at center this season over Jeanpierre, Lewis, or Nowak, who received first team reps at OTAs due to his experience playing the position over the last year. I would be especially shocked if that player was someone who had just recently made the transition from the defensive line.

If they were anticipating a rookie to start at center, I think the team would have drafted a rookie with experience snapping the ball. Sokoli definitely looks like more of a high upside, long-term conversion project, than a year one starter.

Tical21

Reaction score
Rookies at center don't typically have too much trouble, except maybe if they've never played center before. I am not worried about the line calls at all. I could teach 75% of the people on this site to make line calls in one afternoon. It is waiting that quarter second to get off the ball after you snap it that kills you. It is the only position on the line where you don't have the advantage of getting off the ball before the player you are blocking. You have to wait to make sure the snap was successful before you move your rear end. You gotta have darn incredible leg strength, because you're not going to get any advantages out there, and you're going to have to root people out of the hole. He may spend some time getting dumped onto his rear and getting pushed backwards before he figures it out. It's a tough thing, it really is. A lot of the guys that you see play center in college and the pros have literally been centers since they were 5-6 years old.

Largent80

Reaction score
Lewis played center pretty well when he was in and jeanpierre was on the roster and couldn't beat him out. Lewis will be the center I'm thinking.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":3hh9wzml said:
Lewis played center pretty well when he was in and jeanpierre was on the roster and couldn't beat him out. Lewis will be the center I'm thinking.

It was kind of a back and forth between the two. Lewis was starting in place of Unger, and then temporarily lost his starting position when we re-signed Jeanpierre. The line struggled to run block, so they made the adjustment to go with Lewis in those final two games, and the team racked up franchise-record rushing numbers.

I like Lewis because of his run blocking, even if he is somewhat slow footed and probably the slowest athlete on the roster. Despite not being very big, Lewis just packs more punch than either Jeanpierre or someone like Bailey. Jeanpierre, on the other hand, is a very good athlete with more experience starting at center than anyone. He has also received most of the first team reps at OTAs.

Largent80

Reaction score
I thought the injury release of ljp was horrific at the time, and then was shocked when he came back and Lewis beat him out. OTAs are exactly that. Lets see at the end of camp. I see us fine at all the spots on th o line. Great competition everywhere.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Largent80":1nupseoj said:
I thought the injury release of ljp was horrific at the time, and then was shocked when he came back and Lewis beat him out. OTAs are exactly that. Lets see at the end of camp. I see us fine at all the spots on th o line. Great competition everywhere.

That is all true. I initially thought Lewis might have an edge and was somewhat surprised to see that Jeanpierre was mainly getting those first team reps. It should be a great battle. Nowak is also an intriguing player to add to the competition with a good mix of athleticism and power, and a year of experience playing center for us on the practice squad.

Largent80

Reaction score
Traditionally center is that non rookie spot and we are lucky in that we have these guys with experience. The rest of the line is going to be fun to watch in the pre season. Britt should improve and Sweezy is such a run monster. Now. That right side could be very good. If the center spot can solidify we just have to worry about left guard unless Okung gets injured again.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Tical21":3b4hztt0 said:
Rookies at center don't typically have too much trouble, except maybe if they've never played center before. I am not worried about the line calls at all. I could teach 75% of the people on this site to make line calls in one afternoon. It is waiting that quarter second to get off the ball after you snap it that kills you. It is the only position on the line where you don't have the advantage of getting off the ball before the player you are blocking. You have to wait to make sure the snap was successful before you move your rear end. You gotta have darn incredible leg strength, because you're not going to get any advantages out there, and you're going to have to root people out of the hole. He may spend some time getting dumped onto his rear and getting pushed backwards before he figures it out. It's a tough thing, it really is. A lot of the guys that you see play center in college and the pros have literally been centers since they were 5-6 years old.

This. Great post.

Rookies typically don't have a tough transition to Center. If they did, you wouldn't be able to find good Centers in the 3-5th rounds.

I would agree that rookies that have never played Center have a tougher transition. And we have a bevy of those, but we also have LJP and Lewis that have both started and played decently.