49ers OC claims he didn't use real offense during 42-13 loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
RW had the playbook significantly limited until the second half of the season. From that point on it became evident that the Seahawks had found their FIRST ever franchise QB (the 49-er's have had several back in the day). That is what makes this fan very jacked up for the coming seasons. Look at RW's stats from the first half vs the second half to see why. I liked Kaepernick when he was available in the draft, but our guys thankfully went in a different direction. I will say that Kaepernick has a pretty good chance to be a *very good* QB, but the Seahawks have a QB that has a chance to be a *great* QB as he continues to improve and excell at the position. That's what has all of us Seahawks fans really, really excited.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
How often did they run out of pistol prior to the Hawks game?

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2zwvlzw8 said:

Up to 30.9% of the plays, according to the article. Peaking in week 14 against Miami then dropping back down for NE, Seattle and Arizona respectively as they approached the playoffs.

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1x2lcnm1 said:

Not nearly as much as they did in the playoffs but more than they did vs Seattle and Arizona. Whats more, they ran DIFFERENT plays out of the Pistol.

All anyone is saying is that they scaled back the playbook at the end of the season and then opened it up in the playoffs. That is NOT an excuse for their performance in Seattle.

pehawk

Reaction score
Okay, now I loathe Abs as much as the 49er fans defending their gimmick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":56gy8jb3 said:
RW had the playbook significantly limited until the second half of the season. From that point on it became evident that the Seahawks had found their FIRST ever franchise QB (the 49-er's have had several back in the day). That is what makes this fan very jacked up for the coming seasons. Look at RW's stats from the first half vs the second half to see why. I liked Kaepernick when he was available in the draft, but our guys thankfully went in a different direction. I will say that Kaepernick has a pretty good chance to be a *very good* QB, but the Seahawks have a QB that has a chance to be a *great* QB as he continues to improve and excell at the position. That's what has all of us Seahawks fans really, really excited.

See this stuff just amazes me.

Wilson can be great but Kaep only "very good"? Based on what? Kaep took his team to the Super Bowl in his 10th freakin start. Is Wilson the only one who can improve. It seems like this conversation is always that somehow Wilson will continue to improve till he is the second coming of Jesus Christ (unless he is already that) and that Kaep is a pretender who will obviously decline (jeez, who doesn't know that?).

I think both guys have the potential to be the among the best in the NFL. I understand liking the QB who's on your team, but dude....Kaep has a chance to be INCREDIBLE.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":3nhu00wc said:

"gimmick"?

You mean the Pistol? the same one Seattle runs?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Marvin49":2y4h2g31 said:
AbsolutNET":2y4h2g31 said:

Not nearly as much as they did in the playoffs but more than they did vs Seattle and Arizona. Whats more, they ran DIFFERENT plays out of the Pistol.

All anyone is saying is that they scaled back the playbook at the end of the season and then opened it up in the playoffs. That is NOT an excuse for their performance in Seattle.

What you're saying is they ran it considerably more in the playoffs than at any point during the regular season. By your argument, they scaled back the playbook the entire season.

They ran it so much against GB because early on they realized that Dom Capers is a dinosaur that had no idea how to stop something he hadn't faced before in his career. SF didn't take over that game until they decided to stick with it after getting down early. Or, let me guess, the OC "scaled it back" during the 1st quarter, too?

pehawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":21bdvpx0 said:
pehawk":21bdvpx0 said:

"gimmick"?

No, gimmick as in being a 49er fan. My GF's a Seahawks fan, but like you, she doesn't know the game either.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":5jf8yiin said:
Marvin49":5jf8yiin said:
pehawk":5jf8yiin said:

"gimmick"?

No, gimmick as in being a 49er fan. My GF's a Seahawks fan, but like you, she doesn't know the game either.

Dude. Seriously? Attacking my knowledge of the game? Really? Thats just sad.

Football is my passion. I record the freakin draft and have since 1990. I got no prob testing what I do or do not know.

I've been a Niner fan since 1984. Thats seeing alot of great football followed by some horrific football. The best part is that I appreciate the success much more now than I did when I first became a fan because I didn't experience the lean years. This time I got to see the process of turning it around. I also see that winning the offseason doesn't often turn into winning in the regular season.

I'll stand on my knowledge of the game against just about anyone. I also wouldn't be bold enough to challenge anyone elses knowledge simply because they are a fan of a different team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2eppty65 said:
Marvin49":2eppty65 said:
AbsolutNET":2eppty65 said:

What you're saying is they ran it considerably more in the playoffs than at any point during the regular season. By your argument, they scaled back the playbook the entire season.

They ran it so much against GB because early on they realized that Dom Capers is a dinosaur that had no idea how to stop something he hadn't faced before in his career. SF didn't take over that game until they decided to stick with it after getting down early. Or, let me guess, the OC "scaled it back" during the 1st quarter, too?

No...they ran it more and more as the season went on and then stopped using it as much around the time they played NE. They then used it on almost 50% of their snaps in the playoffs. Read the other poster for specific %'s.

I mean seriously people. This isn't rocket science. Two things can be mutually true. it is possible that the 49ers scaled back the offense AND that they were trying to win. It worked against NE. The OC stated that this was the case late in the year and it was the WRITER who braught up Seattle. The only reason you guys are offended is that you are taking it as some sort of slight on your precious "42-13" mantra.

Seattle won. Enjoy it. Nobody is taking it away.

pehawk

Reaction score
Easy Marvin, I'm attacking all 49er fans knowledge of the game.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Marvin49":1m7aaaqs said:
No...they ran it more and more as the season went on and then stopped using it as much around the time they played NE. They then used it on almost 50% of their snaps in the playoffs. Read the other poster for specific %'s.

So after Alex Smith got hurt, they started running the pistol more often? that's weird.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":2oaf7v8c said:
Easy Marvin, I'm attacking all 49er fans knowledge of the game.

...and you somehow think that's BETTER?

I mean seriously...I've seen posters on this site claim that the only reason the 49ers beat Atlanta was that they had a full week off before the game AND the game was at Candlestick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":2rm3mgcg said:
Marvin49":2rm3mgcg said:

So after Alex Smith got hurt, they started running the pistol more often? that's weird.

Alex was hurt LONG before NE. Kaep had been the starter for more than a month.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
So you're basing your sample size of a new offense on 4 games? You really think by NE that your coaching staff was as sold on the pistol as they were when they started running GB up and down the field after being down early?

They didn't know what they had until GB. Teams trying to win the conference don't stop doing what they're best at with 3 weeks to go.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I"m not going back into this, but are 49er fans really buying the notion their punk ol team laid down and let us kick 'em in the face?

I'm not buying that. I'm sure Harbaugh, as much of a doofus as he is, isn't the type of guy to say "okay we're gonna lay 'em on down and let Seattle do their thing when they're still on our heals for the division"

Get the hell up outta here with that...

If thats what they're saying.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2xv4vkv3 said:
Here's your stats to back up the point.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -formation

They ran 9% of their plays from the Pistol in Seattle and only 2 snaps against Arizona... that figure jumped up to 45.3 in Green Bay and 54.9% in Atlanta. I think it is pretty obvious looking at those numbers they were trying to set Green Bay up to game plan for a more generic offense.

Nope, sorry. Because the Yahoo article is making the claim that Roman began to scale back the playbook to set up potential playoff teams AFTER the New England game. But you have made the case in multiple posts on this thread that they started limiting their use of the pistol IN the New England game:

Up to 30.9% of the plays, according to the article. Peaking in week 14 against Miami then dropping back down for NE, Seattle and Arizona respectively as they approached the playoffs.

I was reading earlier (after the divisional round of the playoffs) that they ran something like 10% of their plays from the pistol in the Seattle, New England and Arizona games

So if they stopped using the pistol as much in New England but didn't start "scaling back the playbook" until Seattle, it follows that not using the pistol as much isn't proof that that were "scaling back the playbook." And as I said in my first post on this thread, there are many reasons why San Francisco might not want to use the pistol in a particular game--defensive personnel, familiarity with mobile quarterbacks, etc. That doesn't mean they were scaling back the playbook, only that they were adjusting their gameplans for each specific opponent. And as many people on this thread have said multiple times, it would be beyond foolish for an offensive coordinator to start going to a vanilla offense when there was still a chance that they might not earn the first round bye or even win the division.

Look, you're going to believe this theory because it takes the sting out of an ugly loss. We're not going to believe it because we are of the opinion that Seattle's 42-13 victory meant a hell of a lot more than you want to admit. But answer me this: we've had dozens of 49er fans on this board offering every excuse imaginable for your team's loss. If it's so obvious that they dumbed down the playbook to rope-a-dope potential playoff teams, why is it that NOBODY thought to make that case before when they tried every other excuse you can think of?

Marvin49

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":11d1x9bi said:
So you're basing your sample size of a new offense on 4 games? You really think by NE that your coaching staff was as sold on the pistol as they were when they started running GB up and down the field after being down early?

They didn't know what they had until GB. Teams trying to win the conference don't stop doing what they're best at with 3 weeks to go.

oi.

Lets put this a different way....

Lets just look at the 7 games Kaep played in the regular season.

If in the first 4 he ran increasingly more plays in every game up to Miami where he played in the formation 30% of the time, and then the formation all but disappeared in the final 3 games of the year...and then in the playoffs they used it 50% of the time....wouldn't it make sense that they were saving it for the playoffs?

In particular if the OC as much as admitted it while never even mentioning the loss in Seattle, wouldn't that be logical?

If you were the fan of ANY team outside of the three teams they played in those last few games, wouldn't that simply make sense?

Wait...I already know your answer. We can never spoil the 42-13 mantra.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":3pxj0zoc said:
I"m not going back into this, but are 49er fans really buying the notion their punk ol team laid down and let us kick 'em in the face?

I'm not buying that. I'm sure Harbaugh, as much of a doofus as he is, isn't the type of guy to say "okay we're gonna lay 'em on down and let Seattle do their thing when they're still on our heals for the division"

Get the hell up outta here with that...

If thats what they're saying.

Is reading an issue here?

NO. Nobody is saying the 49ers let Seattle win. Sigh. If you are gonna have an issue here at least have it on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts